PDA

View Full Version : Is this car right?

6a13
13-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi there,
New member here. Just paid my membership fee and am looking forward to accessing all the hidden treasure!
Has anyone out there looked at the silver Galant vr4 in the deaded K-T-C? The 1 with the facelift bumper. They only got it in last wednesday and i put a deposit on it there and then.
It seems like a spotless example, Mechanically sound and good value BUT...
The bonnet, n/s wing and n/s front door are a slightly different colour from the rest of the car.
It may only have been keyed or scuffed slightly or may be something more serious.
The chassis legs appear straight and the welds original with no spanner scars on the wing bolts.
I asked the young guy there, and he said there was no recorded repair on the car and all the panels line up lovely.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
I'll try and post a pic to show you what i mean.
If all is good i pick it up on wednesday, so watch out for me in a ditch somewhere.
Thanks
Andy.

Beastlee
13-04-2007, 01:09 PM
I would ask a few more questions and get it checked. If you look at the B pillars the front door is more of a dull/matt black than the front edge of the rear door. It's definitely two different silvers and I would say that the door has been changed based on my above observation.
Did you actually go and look at the car before placing the deposit? How much was it?
Te car looks great otherwise, I must admit.

6a13
13-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Beastlee
The car is up for £3995. Apart from the colour difference it is spot on.
I had a good look over it on wednesday and it is a cracker. Freshly serviced in japan 1000k ago and looks like someone really looked after it before export.
I am prepared to overlook the colour difference cos it is so good.
Remember i have a deposit on it so no sly buying it or anything!!.
If all goes well when i test it tomorrow, i'll be the proud owner by wednesday! Woo Hoo!!
It has goodies too, like Tein coilovers with the fancy electronic gizmo( looks like the control box has been knicked tho), a turbo timer and remote starter.
I think it was well worth waiting for the right car to come along.
It will look sweet next to my facelift v6sport in the drive.
I'll post after the testdrive.
Andy

6a13
13-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah. The D pillar is a different colour. QED it is off a different car!
I know a man who will colour match that paint for me and no one will ever know.
Andy.

Axeboy
13-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Have the history checked to be safe...

http://www.bimta.org/

Kieran
13-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Ask to see the auction sheet. Don't let them give you any crap that they don't have it - Especially since it's got a facelift bumper.... That was a 1998-on option, so it's either been retrofitted or it's a crash repair. Could be either.

There was a Legnum at KTC recently that someone on here (who shall remain nameless unless they wish to identify theirselves) was watching when it was still in Japan. Quite a few toys on it, but It was a Grade 'RA' with a bad sounding engine knock- so they aborted the purchase. 3 weeks later, KTC have it at £3995. :inquisiti

Having said that... KTC do bring in some good cars too. A few members on here have had no issues with them... But the general feeling from the foums is they're the lucky ones. That said - had a quick look at the pictures and it does *look* alright.

Good luck with it Andy - I hope I haven't put you off, but KTC should be treated as a 'private sale'. Buyer beware, but it's not guaranteed to be a dog - it may be a perfectly honest car.:scholar:

Oh - and finally.... Welcome to Club VR-4, and hope you like it here. Why not pop and see us all at Japfest?:afro:

timiano
13-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Oh yeah. The D pillar is a different colour. QED it is off a different car!
I know a man who will colour match that paint for me and no one will ever know.
Andy.

Hi Andy

Phil from car planet talked to me at lunch about you looking at the car. Met Karl a couple of weeks back and he had a sit in my VR-4 and said you'd be looking for one.

Sounds alright as you said, and does look clean, but as everyone else said, watch out for KTC. Take a man down with you who knows if your not too sure.

Good luck, and hope to see you round Warrington for a bit of /rally :D

Tim

6a13
13-04-2007, 04:06 PM
I did a search on the forums for k-t-c last week, before i went to see the car.
There was a lot of truth in what was said and i went in with my eyes open.
I had a good look over it and i couldn't find anything obviously wrong apart from the colour thing.
I'll have another good look tomorrow
Thanks for all the advice, so far.

Tim, I'll keep my eye out for you and maybe see you at the manor. 2nd tuesday of the month, right?
Andy

White Lightning
13-04-2007, 05:23 PM
It does look alright in the photos. I've just realised how angled the car looks (sloping towards the front) when the front and rear arches have been set at the same height ... blimey

6a13
13-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I think that sloping apearance is an illusion caused by the different coloured side skirts??? Or maybe not. God what a stupid thing to say!

Beastlee
13-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Don't worry I won't be sly buying it. I have my hands full with my current one. I noticed the gizmos on the top of the struts and wondered what they were. If it all pans out wel then I think you'll have a cracking car!

Good luck.

6a13
13-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Cheers B.

bradc
13-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Definately looks like the door and the black B piller are a different colour, and it's obviously had the front bumper replaced as well. It's probably been in a minor accident that has only done superficial damage, it sounds as if everything else lines up, just make sure you take it for a good drive and that the AYC, Air Bag, and other warning lights come on, then go off when you start the car. If one of them is faulty it is quite easy to just unplug the light :)

6a13
13-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm making a list of things to check. It's getting very long now.
All usefull advice
Thanks
Andy

IAC77
13-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Sorry to the hijack the thread, but has anyone looked at the other VR4 for sale at KTC (Trigger Muave £5995 one - http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=12545&pageid=4)? I remember seeing an advertisement for the car in December of last year and I'm very surprised to see it still hasn't sold? £5995 for a 40,000 mile facelift VR4 sounds like a good deal to me?

Kieran
13-04-2007, 11:45 PM
It's a bit suss though..... It's a type-V and it's got a 1997 set of plates on it. Iffy.

IAC77
14-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah I noticed that too, could it be that KTC told fibbs about the car's actual age when importing it (to avoid restrictions) or are there any giveaway's to suggest it is a 1997 car fitted with facelift parts?

steve190
15-04-2007, 09:06 AM
The price has dropped £2000 since the pictures were fist put up, it was £7995

6a13
15-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Road tested the Galant yesterday. I checked the inner and outer wing welds and everything looks spot on. The suspension is set very soft, both preload and damping backed right off ( set for comfort, I suppose )
The motor and transmission all work, but the brakes are very wooden ( much worse than my v6 sport ) and will require an overhaul. Pads and fluid added to the shopping list.
All in all, it is a solid genuine car with a bit of a dodgy paint job.
I cant pick it up till Wednesday or thursday which is a bit of a killer. Still, it will soon be here and i will have fully joined the fold.
Thanks
Andy

Beastlee
15-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear you are happy with the car. I did the rear pads after 2 weeks and that felt miles better straight away.
4 or 5 nights lying in bed thinking 'What can I do to it first?' I bet :)

6a13
18-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I called K-T-C this morning to see if the car was ready. I was asked to call back in 10 mins. OK no problem.
When i called back I was told that it wouldn't be ready till NEXT Wednesday!!!
It failed it's MOT on front suspension bushes and this means that the paperwork hasn't gone this week. It has now got it's ticket but they wont take the paperwork till monday.
I am gutted. They just dont care whether they sell me the car or not. I cant tell if they are B***S***ing me or not. To be honest, I just dont want to deal with them any more.
Cash waiting for right car.
Andy

bradc
18-04-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't see a problem with that myself, you're getting yourself a whole lot of free suspension bushes :D

6a13
18-04-2007, 08:32 PM
There isnt a problem as such, it's just their attitude.
There are other cars and i am on a mission now.
If i find another car before wednesday i'll get that instead.
Their loss
andy

d i c k i e s
19-04-2007, 04:50 AM
i feel you on that... some can be upright rude. thats when i say nah im outta here laters... give my money to someone else who treats you right.

Subaru ETA
19-04-2007, 08:42 AM
this is why when i got my car i told them to get it legal THEN i would say yay or nay!

Roberto
25-04-2007, 01:17 AM
But, do you deal with an A-hole and buy a Great car.

Or deal with an Gentleman whos selling you a complete lemon.

Deal with the car your after, not the people, a week after you buy a good car you won't care who sold it to you.

6a13
25-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I picked my Galant VR4 up tonight. WOW!
I've done about 130k's so far and im smitten. I haven't stopped grinning yet!
Oh sod it, i'm off for another spin.
Andy

Kieran
25-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I picked my Galant VR4 up tonight. WOW!
I've done about 130k's so far and im smitten. I haven't stopped grinning yet!
Oh sod it, i'm off for another spin.
Andy

You got the Keighley one then?:afro:

6a13
26-04-2007, 12:01 AM
The keithley one, yes.
I decided to wait and i'm glad i did. I delt with the older brother and he was a much nicer guy, so i felt better about dealing with him.
The car is in very neat condition an goes like a train. Its the nearest ive come to big bike acceleration in a car.
This is my first turbo car so i've got a lot to learn.
I'm going to go over the brakes tomorrow and order some ebc pads.
Keithley have offered to find me a tein edfc controller and it needs it cos the damping is set at 1 and i'm not sure if i can manually adjust it. I'll Have a poke around tomorrow and see.
Stand by for lots of stupid questions
Andy

Nick Mann
26-04-2007, 09:40 AM
If KTC let you down on the controller, try www.rhdjapan.com as they seem to do them for a good price. Alternatively, look up mr voodoo on these forums and ask him - he is a tein dealer.

Subaru ETA
26-04-2007, 09:56 AM
But, do you deal with an A-hole and buy a Great car.

Or deal with an Gentleman whos selling you a complete lemon.

Deal with the car your after, not the people, a week after you buy a good car you won't care who sold it to you.

yeah im the opposite aye.... no matter how good the car is there will always be another so i aint gonna hand my cash over to a complete tosser! i work hard for my coin and dont want to give it to a asshole

6a13
26-04-2007, 02:48 PM
If KTC let you down on the controller, try www.rhdjapan.com as they seem to do them for a good price. Alternatively, look up mr voodoo on these forums and ask him - he is a tein dealer.

Nice one Nick.

£115 shipped. £50 quid cheaper than anyone else's quote.

I'll give keithley a week then sort it out myself.

Andy

White Lightning
27-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Good news :thumbsup:

Glad you are pleased with the car ...