PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Spark Plugs

MGV6
14-04-2007, 04:54 PM
As most of you guys know, Mitsubishi recommends the use of Platinum Spark Plugs in Galants, but does anyone know which ones though? i.e. specification, brand?

Which ones do ClubVR4/WRD normally recommend? and which ones do WRD normally use during servicing?

and if I'm right, its 4 spark plugs our cars have right?

steve190
14-04-2007, 05:10 PM
2.0 has 4 plugs and the V6 versions have 6

As to type, never had mine out yet.

Nick VR4
14-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Search is your friend :D

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19936&highlight=Spark+Plugs

Lillywotsername
14-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Pretty sure WRD use Densos. Don't quote me on it though.:inquisiti :speechles

Kieran
14-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Either NGK or Denso will be fine. You need to get the right plug code though. This will be listed in your Owner's manual somewhere.

psbarham
14-04-2007, 07:24 PM
i put a set of ngk iridiums in mine and they do make quiet a difference

Gly
14-04-2007, 08:22 PM
the v6s use the same plugs as the VR4,
just with a higher gapping

the ngk iridium number is BKR6EIX-11 (for 1.1mm gap)

also from factory they came with platium plugs in the rear bank only, and stock copper plugs in the front bank,

it is fine to use platium or iridiums all round

Roberto
24-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Iridium allround for me.

Had them checked after something like 30K and was told they are still as good as new...:iloveyou:

Eurospec
24-04-2007, 10:00 AM
And for you performance nutters out there with turbo cars with a boost controller etc etc, do yourself a favour and drop in a plug 1 heat range colder.

I believe the rule of thumb is 1 range per hundred bhp extra.

It will help reduce the hot spot caused by the plug and hence reduce the propensity for det.

Also, if you are going all out for power, go to coppers and change them frequently. My reasoning behind this is that if you look at a platinum plug, it has a tiny tip. This is because platinum has a pretty high resistance- higher than copper- and the manufacturer is simply concentrating the voltage produced by the coil onto a tiny tip, which then goes and produces a small spark.

If you run copper, the spark area is much larger and the spark kurnel is much bigger, although possibly slower moving, which helps to ignight the gas more easily. The electrodes on a copper plug are bigger due to the lower resistance of the core material and so there is no need to reduce tip size as with platinums.

Your aim is to get as much energy to that plug tip as you can, hence using high performance leads, big kicker coils or ignition boosters. The benefits of resistor vs non resistor plugs can be debatable in that you want to have some resistance in the plug to give the coil 'something to push against' I personally use resistor plugs, because you try and find non resistor plugs that are 4 ranges colder, otherwise i would run non. The downside is reported to be, (again i dont KNOW this) that non resistor plugs will burn out the coils faster and can cause interfearance issues. The latter i can see being true.

Cheers,

Ben.

Rambaud
24-04-2007, 03:39 PM
If one is only doing 10,000 miles between annual services, are not platinum plugs a waste of money (I'm thinking in terms of my 2.4GDI)?

Nick Mann
24-04-2007, 04:19 PM
In the V6, the platinum plugs are scheduled for replacement every 54k miles or 6 years, whichever comes sooner.

I don't know if that's true of the GDI.

Rambaud
24-04-2007, 05:09 PM
In the V6, the platinum plugs are scheduled for replacement every 54k miles or 6 years, whichever comes sooner.

Thank you, Nick. I shall check the service history to see when they were last changed.

54k miles seems a long time for the copper ones in the front bank?

Nick Mann
24-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Copper in the front bank is new information to me. I had a 1998 V6-24 which I owned from 45k to approx 80k miles. The 54k service included 6 platinum plugs, none of the services ever included copper plugs. Maybe different area cars or different age cars had different specs?

Kieran
24-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I know Carsten (Gly) said the front bank was copper, but that's the first time I head that too - It would be a bit odd to fit two types of plug, surely?

But yeah, my V6 Sport specified platinum only in the book. In fact, I think there was even a warning label in the engine bay to remind you to use platinum plugs.

bradc
24-04-2007, 09:15 PM
They do that because the front plugs are easy to access and the rear ones are obviously rather difficult :)

Ben - what about those fancy triple electrode plugs or plugs that have the entire outside part curving up to be a 360 degree electrode?

Rambaud
25-04-2007, 10:06 AM
AFAIK, the only benefit of platinum plugs is longevity?

Eurospec
25-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Both the 6A12 FTO engines only have platiums in the rear bank. They use coppers up front.

The main reason to use platinum plugs is simply longevity as Rambaud said. Its a pain in the arse to change your plugs all the time, but if you are commited to going faster, its a small thing in the scheme of it all really. If you are running higher boost, then the protection has got to be worth the hassle.

Example, a friend of mine who drags his GTO would get a steady 6 count of knock with std plugs at 17psi on a drag pass. Dropped in a set of 1 range colder plugs, knock gone. Okay, 6 isnt exactly engine killing amounts (The stock ecu will only respond when the count exceeds 5- indicating that mitsu thought that was 'safe' at the original power levels) however, if you are continually banging on the piston tops and rods and big ends, then it isnt going to help.

Our mitsu dealers say the vr4 has 6 platinums as std.

Cheers,

Ben.

Rambaud
25-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I remember experimenting with different plugs in my TVR a few years ago - but changing 8 of them at the same time was a bit of a pain. :(

Rikki
25-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I remember experimenting with different plugs in my TVR a few years ago - but changing 8 of them at the same time was a bit of a pain. :(

Mits use NGK Laser Platinum (PFR6G-11) for the V6 anyways. I have just had mine replaced and make a slight improvement in smoothness, but then thats probably due to the fact they are new lol. Out of interest, a mix up with the garage has left me with 6 of the above sparks if anyone fancies putting some money my way. Honda charges £66 ex.VAT, Mits asked for £92.34 ex.VAT!

ralliart-type-s
25-04-2007, 10:55 PM
mine has denso iridiums in all 6, i know this cos i fitted them, 4got wot temp code tho, but car runs well with them in, not sure if perform different from std plat plugs anyway.

kookie
15-05-2007, 09:58 PM
As most of you guys know, Mitsubishi recommends the use of Platinum Spark Plugs in Galants, but does anyone know which ones though? i.e. specification, brand?

Which ones do ClubVR4/WRD normally recommend? and which ones do WRD normally use during servicing?

and if I'm right, its 4 spark plugs our cars have right?

Mine has a label under the bonnet saying iridium plugs only. never had them changed though, suppose i'd better think about it

pitslayer
16-05-2007, 01:09 AM
so wheres the cheapest place for them, and the normal spark plugs i aint forking out 60 quid on spark plugs

Kieran
16-05-2007, 08:36 AM
i aint forking out 60 quid on spark plugs

Try www.sparkplugs.co.uk.

But.... Buy cheap and nasty and that's the kind of performance you'll get. It's worth buying a set of good quality NGK plugs.

Gly
16-05-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23163

ive got shipping options to the UK in there aswell

Rikki
16-05-2007, 09:22 AM
so wheres the cheapest place for them, and the normal spark plugs i aint forking out 60 quid on spark plugs

if you want them for the V6 i have a spare set ill give you for less than sparkplugs.co.uk. they were bought from them but the garage never used them, dumbasses, so going spare. NGK Platinum. think i left a post in here somewhere about them.

pitslayer
16-05-2007, 05:52 PM
im interested, how much you looking for them, im skint at the moment, so wont be for a week or so till i get payed

Rikki
16-05-2007, 07:39 PM
you have pm :pimp2:

Rambaud
05-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Yes, Mitsi dealer confirmed the same for GDI engine.

I had to have platinum ones fitted yesterday, as they could not source copper ones in time. They were £15.65 + Vat each. :(

I went for the platinum ones, as the old ones were pretty worn apparently. It might mean I break the 40 mpg barrier. :)

I-S
05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Rambaud - I only just noticed this thread.

The GDI should only use the NGK IZFR5B iridium plug - from what I can tell this plug was specifically designed for the GDI engine, and is only used in the 2.4 and 2.0 GDI engines. It should not use copper nor platinum. The mitsubishi dealer should have used these plugs, and £15 each is a fairly typical price for them.

Rambaud
05-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Rambaud - I only just noticed this thread.

The GDI should only use the NGK IZFR5B iridium plug - from what I can tell this plug was specifically designed for the GDI engine, and is only used in the 2.4 and 2.0 GDI engines. It should not use copper nor platinum. The mitsubishi dealer should have used these plugs, and £15 each is a fairly typical price for them.

Just checked the invoice - IZFR6B were used. This is one grade colder than you quote, although I have not done any research into correct heat range.

However, Mitsi dealer agreed it was merely a question of longevity. I think "platinum" tipped was being used in a generic sense to distinguish them for the more usuall copper tips.

Yes, I was expecting to pay around £15 for the plugs. :)

I-S
05-07-2007, 12:41 PM
IZFR6B is the plug for the 1.8GDI (Carisma, Volvo V40, Spacestar). You would think mitsubishi dealers would use the correct plugs, but after previous experience nothing that they do would surprise me now...

Rambaud
05-07-2007, 03:37 PM
IZFR6B is the plug for the 1.8GDI (Carisma, Volvo V40, Spacestar). You would think mitsubishi dealers would use the correct plugs, but after previous experience nothing that they do would surprise me now...

Yup. /wall