PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Mitsubishi Galant Replacement Key

Embrolium
16-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi All,

I bought one of these on Saturday (2.5 V6 24v) and I'm extremely happy with it. I had to buy a "practical" car as the wife is pregnant at the moment and she probably won't be able to get in and out of the MR2 comfortably once she's bigger :)

The car is fantastic - very tidy and has a full mitsubishi service history etc... but it only came with one key + remote alarm fob. Is there any way I can get a copy made of these cheaply? I'm sure the main dealer would be happy to oblige but I'm equally sure that they would charge several hundred pounds for it as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andy

Nick Mann
16-04-2007, 01:44 PM
The keys are just keys. You can get ones with Mitsubishi mouldings on the end on ebay sometimes if you want.

The fob I guess should eb the cobra style. Search ebay for cobra alarm fobs - you should find some that are the same as yours. There are instructions on the site somewhere as to how to re-program the new fob to the alarm.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Embrolium
16-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for that, will have a look at eBay when I get home then :)

Andy

KHK
16-04-2007, 03:48 PM
MR2, what a gorgeous car , looks cool! unfortunately i never have a chance to have one

g6acb
16-04-2007, 04:54 PM
:thinking:

The keys on UK models are not just keys, they have some radio trans-ciever immobiliser chip thingy in them..... i.e standard key blank will get you in, but not start the car

Johnny_Cashed
18-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I had the same problem, got my 2.5V6 24V 2003 second hand, with only one key and alarm fob. I bought a key blank from the chesterfield mitsu dealer, cost ~£30 + vat, and had it cut at Pollards. They tested it first on a cheap key blank, and then cut the proper one, which means I've now got a cheap key that will open all the doors. They just used my current key to get all the dimensions from. Still need to get the immobiliser programmed at Mitsubishi. I could have had it come already cut, but they said since I bought it second hand the locks might have been changed at some point.

WildCards
18-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Welcome Embrolium, I see you found your way then?

KEENY
21-04-2007, 08:26 PM
My 1998 v6 also has a chip in the key. there key cutting place near me does do key with the chip in them for about £20. but would you adam and eve it they dont have them for the galant.

after 3 monts of looking hard i had no choice but to cheat. and it works.

but i cant really tell you about that on here so if you interested cr_keen@hotmail.com

KEENY
21-04-2007, 08:29 PM
ohh one problem i came up with on my car is that i have 2 of the same keys. 1 car opens the doors and the other key starts the car and opens the boot.

its the same bloody key. after 10 mins or so of messing around with the driving key th doors it will open them. and the same with the door key in the boot lock.

its crazy it just dont make sense. lol