PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

pitslayer
18-04-2007, 01:04 AM
right non galant related.......
bought a car, agreed a price of 700 for the car described like this

For sale i have got a 1967 type 3 fastback easy restoration project.

GOOD BITS

Comes with lots of history and the original log book.
Complete unmolested car.
Good 1600 engine twin carb the engine is not in the vehicle at the moment but can be heard running.
Good interior and dash.
Pop out rear windows.

BAD BITS

Floor and heater channel bottoms.
Brakes need attention.

so bought the rolling shell for 350, and agreed to pay the rest when i had it....
since then ive had the car on the ramps and found
the brakes are completly shagged, dont need attention there completely gone not even scrap metal worthy....
floor pans are fine im happy with that
the front corners are complelty shot and was told that they were "mint"
also the car had an engine in it when they got the car and took it out, so they would have seen the fact that the whole rear end of the car was to put it bluntly F******! as in i need to replace half a metre radius for it to even remotly become road worthy, so its complelty misdiscribed as an easy resto project which its not, its in worse condition than my other one, in places.

so i got an email today asking for the money to be paid up or they were going to aquire the car back (goodluck as they have my home address, and its not even kept at the house so good luck finding it /pan ) now i dont want to get ****ty with them, nor them with me.....but i want to know would you pay the rest of the money for a car that isnt as described and tell them straight but politly this...or take it on the chin, thing is if they come for the car its only going to hurt there business, not me...
im prepared to give them 100 quid for the rest of the stuff, because thats all its worth, is this the right thing to do?

Kenneth
18-04-2007, 01:12 AM
If it is not as advertised, then tell them so.

Put your offer of 100 quid on the table, and suggest that if they are not open to that then you would like your money back and will return the car.

Be polite and reasonable. The idea is to give them choices so they can pick which suits them best and if it does come down to a dispute, you are in a much better position.

pitslayer
18-04-2007, 01:24 AM
well if i give car back then they have to give me 450 for the car as thats what ive spent on just sorting the floor pans out.......thing is what ever they try to do to claim the car back its only going to go back at them for misrepresentation on the car.....one thing that irritates me is being lied to with people misrepresenting things

TAR
18-04-2007, 10:20 AM
It may make a difference if the car was bought from a trader.

The main problem that I see you have is that you have accepted the car and started to work on it. As with any sale, the buyer should check all details before parting with any money. In this instance you appear to have accepted the car at the price agreed.

You would possibly have some comeback if the car was unfit for the purpose it was sold however judging by the advert, it was sold as a project.

I agree with Kenneth, that you should make the offer but be prepared to either pay what is owed or return the car for your original money back.

I think you may need to put this one down to experience unfortunately.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear :sad3:

pitslayer
18-04-2007, 03:28 PM
ive just had a thought, seeing as how they would not find the car, as its kept somewhere else they cant come and get it....but ive just had a thought....
that rolling shell is legally mine, i have a reciept/invoice saying ive bought that car, nothing about this agreement.... so that car legally belongs to me, and theres nothing tehy can do about it.....so im going to offer them 100 for the rest of the cars stuff, if they say, no ill cut the car up and use it on my other project as its legally mine, i have the receipt for it....now the logbook doesnt mean anything, it just means your the registered keeper of the car, where as a receipt means its yours........

if i have to cut the car up, it will be a shame, but it means my car will have so much needed parts, and at 350 quid thats given me the window frames, gutters, door posts front wings front and rear valance, basically about 1000quids worth of parts......

You See
18-04-2007, 03:45 PM
It seems that if the car was purchased and found not to be as described, you do have a right to return it and get a full refund...at this stage, contact should of been made with the previous owner to discuss and renegotiate. Unfortunately as you have started/completed work on it you have somewhat agreed that it's all ok and you're happy with the purchase.
This is another example of Buyer Beware.
But I guess there's no harm in trying to talk with the seller and see if you can come to some sort of compromise.
Good luck! :)

pitslayer
18-04-2007, 03:50 PM
like i said the car actually belongs to me, ive got a reciept for it, printed of there pc, with there company name on it, saying that ive bought this car for £350, that rolling shell is legally mine, so ill just cut it up now.

Kenneth
18-04-2007, 10:19 PM
sorry dude, thats just dishonest. You agreed to pay for it, so you should. If you don't want to, you need to come to some agreement with the other party.

Kieran
18-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm in agreement with TAR, Kenneth and UC - Looks like you've been screwed about but the pen is mightier than the sword (or the cutting saw):scholar:

ralliart-type-s
19-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Tell 'm to keep the rest of it and that you are happy with what u got. Get the stihl out m8, and if they protest wave it at them an all! U got a receipt for what u bought, simple as. Tell'em to send the log book off scrapped.

pitslayer
19-04-2007, 12:55 AM
gunna be nice with them at first, no point going in guns blazing. just gunna say, i want the log book stuff the engine, dont need that.....if they say no then its just tough luck on them.....and you cant call me dishonest......they didnt tell me that the car is a complete write off in the back end, theres nothing left, theres no front corners left, yet were described as mint, or the fact that theres been previous accident damage on the car, and your calling me dishonest......yet im the one saying yeh ill give you some money.....
me and my mate have already sat down, basically if they dont accept that then its there own problem, there stuck with a log book for a car that wont exsist anymore.......
fact is its going to take more money than originally planned to do this "easy" resto, which its not, its compleltly misrepresented....

im not trying to be dishonest, but im not going to stand there and get ripped off like i said ill pay what i think its worth, im not going to pay an extra 400 odd quid for a cronk of **** excuse my french thats only worth 400 quid

Kenneth
19-04-2007, 01:25 AM
No you called you dishonest. What I alluded to is that if you were to just refuse to pay for the vehicle, then cut it up (or whatever it was you planned to do to it) without the consent of the person who sold the vehicle to you, then THAT WOULD be dishonest.

You agreed to pay for the car. You took the chance by not viewing the car before purchase. You may have some legal ground that the car was mis-represented but not enough to just refuse paying any more and keeping it.

What you should have done is inspect the vehicle BEFORE purchase. If that is not possible, then you should have inspected it as soon as you got hold of it and BEFORE you did anything to it.

As a result of your inspection, you are then in a position to negotiate.

Personally I have never bought a car without inspecting it first. I have been guilty of not being thorough on occasion, and paid the price. Thats life, you live and you learn. Take it on the chin and move forward.

You have already said that by cutting the car up you can get about 1000 pounds worth of parts. You just saved yourself 300. Or why don't you pay the price, cut up the car and sell the parts and make 300 quid?

You have options, why look at it so negatively? Contact the seller and try discuss it maturely first, that should always be your first course of action.

stuey
19-04-2007, 01:41 AM
If you took the car inspected it, and then offered no more than original £350 or maybe little more or offered to return the car that would be fine. Unfortunately you did work on the floorpans which makes it impossible to do anything other than pay up in full.
It is a shame but it's learning curve not to buy unseen or come to deal if it isn't what was advertised.

pitslayer
19-04-2007, 03:15 AM
your missing the point.......theres nothing in writing saying i owe them said amount of money......the rolling shell is MINE! it belongs to ME! ITS NOT THERES, i dont mean to shout, but your all missing the point of it......the shell does not belong to them i have a reciept of that shell saying that it belongs to me no longer theres at all, they havent got a leg to stand on with it.....ive payed for the shell i can do what i want with it, its mine its not a case of me telling them what im going to do with MY shell, i can do what i want with it, when i want......they want money for the logbook and engine i dont need these anymore, there obsolete, im willing to pay them 100 for the log book, and if they dont take it then thats there loss.....not mine, that rolling shell is mine i have a reciept for it saying that its mine......
right forget the car for the moment
would you pay 400 odd quid for a logbook for a car and an engine, bearing in mind, you can pick a flat 4 vw 1600 up for 50 quid running, my mate has bought type 4 2ltr engines for less.......
so would you pay 400 for a log book, and a 100 quid engine if you didnt need them, oboslete parts? im not going to sit around and get screwed by these out of money for something i dont need.....they basically want the money for logbook and this engine, i dont need them anymore ive written the car off as being salvagble for road use.......it might be worth a few quid in parts, but im going to be using them myself, because again, its my rolling shell for me to do what i want with....... if they want they can come pick the car up after ive cut out all the bits i need(floors, heater channels,innerwings front, about 6 inches down from the rear windows all the way around the whole roof including windows basically and just below it, parcel shelf.....there quite welcome to take it off me, just scrap then....................
im trying to be nice about this, i dont see why i would be dishonest, buy cutting this car up even thow it legally belongs to me, its not theres....
im a nice guy, but i dont like to be screwed out of anything. im only 19 money aint easy to come by......
im giong to send them email tomorow explaining all this, if they dont like it, im going to cut MY rolling shell up.......

Kenneth
19-04-2007, 03:47 AM
I believe you failed to properly articulate the "point" as you call it.

Perhaps if you wrote more clearly, with better sentence and paragraph structure, it would be easier to read and understand what you are trying to say.

So, to make things clearer

You have paid in full for the shell which is now in your possession.
You have not paid for the engine or the log book, nor are they in your possession.

So all you need to do is get in contact with the seller and say that you are not interested in the log book or engine as the car is in much worse condition than they led you to believe, making restoration unfeasible.

pitslayer
19-04-2007, 05:42 AM
yes, thats what im saying. but they for some reason think they can come and just claim this car back, which they cant, being as its legally mine.......
now thats cleared up lol, you can see that im being quite generous, when i could turn around and say no i dont want it...but if they dont accept then there lumped with a log book and have to sort it out themselves