PDA

View Full Version : AYC light and wierd sound from AYC pump

Mante
08-12-2003, 12:03 AM
After getting the VR4 back from the body shop I Knew the rear wouldnt be put back together properly. After start up theres a hiss from the AYC pump 5 seconds later the lite brightens up in the dash. I wonder if the fluid is low, does it take regular trans fluild? Tomorrow the Vr4 is heading back up on the lift just to double check all the hoses were securely sealed with thread lock or something equivalant.

Nick VR4
08-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Hi Mante
Fond this
-----------------------------------------------
AYC:Their is two seperate places to put this fluid.One is in the rear diff itselfINSERT INTO post VALUES (the plug facing towards the rear of the car);in here you require a ATF SPIII or Castrol Diaqueen. This fluid is also required in the hydraulic section of the system which is located in the bootINSERT INTO post VALUES (trunk) on the right hand side behind a little pull down flap.I think
This fluid needs to be replaced in conjunction with a Mitsubishi MUTIIINSERT INTO post VALUES (multi use tester)to pump the fluid out..

2. The rear differential,transfer boxINSERT INTO post VALUES (front diff); and gearbox require Castrol Syntrax or equivelant to 75W90 gear oil.

3. For brake fluid I reccomend Castrol SRFINSERT INTO post VALUES (special racing fluid). This brake fluid has a higher boiling point, enabling heavier braking, and also extreme weather conditions.

4. Power steering fluid: I suggest ATS SPIII the same for the AYC unit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Got this below from the MLR site

Q: Does the AYC fluid have to be changed at a Mitsubishi Dealer?
A: According to the current service schedules for the Evo 4 onwards, the AYC fluid for the AYC clutch packs INSERT INTO post VALUES (ATFSP-III is now used as AYC fluid is no longer available) and the ATF fluid in the boot reservoir has to be changed every 4,500 miles INSERT INTO post VALUES (it has been suggested that Mitsubishi may extend this service interval for the AYC to 18,000 miles at a later date). Changing the AYC fluid in itself is not a problem. The problem comes when you change the ATF fluid in the hydraulic actuator system as you have to bleed the air out. The workshop manuals do state that the hydraulic system can be bled manually but it has been found that it can be difficult to get all of the air from the system using the manual method. The easiest way is to use the Mitsubishi MUT-II diagnostic tool, which is an electronic control box that plugs into the car for fault finding and servicing. The MUT-II has a program that operates the valves in the hydraulic system in the correct sequence so the air can be bled completely. Unfortunately the MUT-II is only available at Mitsubishi dealers or selected approved agents.

Mante
08-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Cool thanks that section has been printed and added to other stuff for the car.

As for the solution, well I called the guy that the body work it turns out he forgot to refill the hydralic section in the trunk. After filling the light went away as well as that hiss of a empty pump

Spirit
08-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Cool thanks that section has been printed and added to other stuff for the car.

As for the solution, well I called the guy that the body work it turns out he forgot to refill the hydralic section in the trunk. After filling the light went away as well as that hiss of a empty pump

Excellent news mate - and lucky no damage was done, from recollection I think Brind said a new pump costs around £2000 as he had his replaced INSERT INTO post VALUES (under warranty luckily)

Nick VR4
08-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Thats good news Mante :d:

As Pete has said the Pumps are mega bucks
A few guys on the MLR has had issues with a solenoid failing
And you can't just replace this so a new pump is needed
A few have even not bothered fixing it

zedy1
08-12-2003, 09:32 AM
depending on how much you drove it could have harmed the ayc pump in the long run m8 ill get it checked out cus your still in posistion to blame the garage

Spirit
08-12-2003, 06:59 PM
depending on how much you drove it could have harmed the ayc pump in the long run m8 ill get it checked out cus your still in posistion to blame the garage

That's sound advice Mo.....I would get Mitsy to check it out just to be sure and put your mind at rest - don't want it to f*ck up just when you need it :sad3:

Mante
09-12-2003, 04:33 AM
Since no mechanic has ever spent time workin on an AYC equiped car it took some time. All in all after spending 3 hours looking at the tail end of the vr4 in the air theres nothing to replace FINALLY. If all goes well the vr4 will finally get some dyno time wednesday.

wirdy
04-03-2004, 12:26 AM
For future reference, I found this while browsing.........

"Rear Diff. Evo 6 GSR AYC pump. Fully refurbed, new Pressure switch and motor, over £1000 new £450"

on this site http://www.rallyusedparts.co.uk/turn360.cfm

It must be possible to repair these things, so any AYC pump problems and I'll be contacting this company to find out where & how they got their AYC pump refurbished, sounds a better option than forking out for a new one from Mitsi at a cost of 2 megapounds!! (for owners without full warranties)

pjjohnson
09-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Any news on this Wirdy ? I need one doing

wirdy
12-03-2004, 12:57 AM
I haven't had the time or reason to ask them, I just noticed the item & thought it might benefit one of us in the future. They have a telephone number & e-mail listed on their web site.
Perhaps if you manage to get some info you can post it on this thread. We all dread AYC problems and a cheaper solution to pump replacement would be a bonus.