PDA

View Full Version : Tein Suspension

vr4moose
20-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Whats you view on the suspension, on offer at Camskill ?
Do you rate Tein, and what do you think of prices ?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...22b0s2213p9640

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...22b0s2213p9639

m.

peter thomson
20-04-2007, 06:43 PM
The links arn't working for me

White Lightning
21-04-2007, 07:39 AM
The links arn't working for me

Try this:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1405p6895

Eurospec
24-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Tein S Techs are fine, just be sure they arent fakes (they wont be from Camskill!)

Price looks okay. Give James a call at Amber performance and see what he can do for you. His number is 01582 664735

Cheers,

Ben.

KHK
24-04-2007, 10:51 AM
how about this?
roughly about 550 pounds from Japan

KHK
24-04-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s2213p9640

why can't see the parts no on the coilover? y photo so small?

HJM
24-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Just ordered a set of Tein Basic Wagon coilovers from Amber Performance (more customer orientated than Camskill and £10 cheaper :2thumbsup).

Went for the 'Basic' set up due to cost and easier fitting as the Super and GT Wagon versions require cutting of the bodywork according to the Tein notes - also Leggie only likely to get tracked now once or twice a year.

The bad news is they won't be here til the end of June as I don't want to pay the £200 + air freight to get them in 2 weeks - so off the road it comes as my rear Bilstein is now caput and you can only drive on the spring upto 40mph without generating any excess heat (also AYC never came on).

Thanks for the tip above - James was very helpful.

H

Kieran
24-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Went for the 'Basic' set up due to cost and easier fitting as the Super and GT Wagon versions require cutting of the bodywork according to the Tein notes

That's only if you wish to add the EDFC motors to the top - you have to give the rear top-mounts a 'tickle' to get them [the EDFC motors] to fit in the gap without fouling the surrounding trim.:scholar:

Eurospec
24-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tip above - James was very helpful.

Yeah James is a great guy. Hes the Mgr at Amber.

Cheers,

Ben.

naughtika
25-04-2007, 08:37 AM
err.. this might be a stupid a$$ed question.. why can't we fit the EDFC on the sedan? is it the space?

Kieran
25-04-2007, 08:40 AM
err.. this might be a stupid a$$ed question.. why can't we fit the EDFC on the sedan? is it the space?

below the rear windscreen is a crossmember that links the two rear suspension towers on the saloons. It's very tight clearance - you have room to locate the strut and wind up the mounting nuts but not much else - hence Tein don't recommend it. However, I've seen several Japanese sites with EDFC equipped salooons - so I imagine you can get them in somehow - probably have to do a little more tickling with the grinder!

vr4moose
25-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Whats you view on the suspension, on offer at Camskill ?
Do you rate Tein, and what do you think of prices ?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...22b0s2213p9640

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...22b0s2213p9639

m. thanks for info and numbers, will sort a setup soon, /rally
the tein we have on gt4 are nice with EDFC, but hard for track when you set to low number. Will be good to bring vr4 and meet up at some events...best to all..

Nick Mann
25-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Of the suspension setups I have seen, if I had the money I would be very tempted by the Tein Super Wagon with EDFC.

cribba
25-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Just ordered a GT Wagon set and edfc:2thumbsup from Wincanton, in Somerset.(www.wmstuning.com) Also listed (with link) on Tein uk web site as official Tein dealer. Including vat & delivery etc. all in price £1K, which seems reasonable (whatever 'reasonable', is-maybe it's just because I've lost mine....). They were very quick to price match. Delivery not until end of June/Grrr . As has been mentioned, the chopping to get the edfc motors in at the rear is to the interior trim.

Subaru ETA
27-04-2007, 09:38 AM
how about this?
roughly about 550 pounds from Japan

how much to nz? are they new?

KHK
27-04-2007, 10:38 AM
have to be lucky to buy, this is from dealer's excess stock,
it is sold already to someone else, not me
roughly 550 pounds should include shipping to NZ, but not import duty whatsoever similar

i'd post next time when i come across something similar again

pezza
27-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Just ordered a set of Tein Basic Wagon coilovers from Amber Performance (more customer orientated than Camskill and £10 cheaper :2thumbsup).

Went for the 'Basic' set up due to cost and easier fitting as the Super and GT Wagon versions require cutting of the bodywork according to the Tein notes - also Leggie only likely to get tracked now once or twice a year.

H

Not too long to wait then eef? :speechles

Is anyone else running with this particular wagon damper setup? (I think mpau009 is too)

naughtika
28-04-2007, 03:49 PM
oh another a$$ed question.. does the USDM TEIN Basic Damper for a Sedan would fit into a JDM VR4 sedan?

Nick Mann
28-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Don't know about the 7g

The 8g is different USDM vs JDM.

HJM
04-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Not too long to wait then eef? :speechles

Finally arrived - impressed with the build quality and weight of them, they look very purposeful /rally

Just got to fit them this weekend (provided compressor clamps arrive in time) - should be a 5 minute job then :inquisiti

H

Spirit
04-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Good news Heath :2thumbsup

Are you fitting them yourself (with some help) or a garage ?

HJM
04-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Myself - any tips ?

White Lightning
04-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Just got to fit them this weekend (provided compressor clamps arrive in time) - should be a 5 minute job then :inquisiti

Why do you need the clamps if you have bought coilovers?

pezza
04-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Why do you need the clamps if you have bought coilovers?

Some of the tein suspension packages use the OE tops from existing setup (esp the height only adjustable packages)...

Ride and height adjustables will probably come with Tein top mounts..

White Lightning
04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Some of the tein suspension packages use the OE tops from existing setup (esp the height only adjustable packages)...

Ride and height adjustables will probably come with Tein top mounts..

Ahh .... righto ... :thumbsup:

White Lightning
04-07-2007, 02:02 PM
In that case ... Heath be careful with the compression clamps ... one wrong move and they could take your head off !!

I bought a set when we where swapping the springs over on mine and it had some safety latches ... have the ones you are getting got something similar?

pezza
04-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I must admit I have seen a few of these devices but not had the *pleasure* of using em yet.

I can imagine the tales of injuries and missing body parts when using these; and remember hearing tales of springs bouncing off to God knows where followed by shattering greenhouse glass in the distance :thinking:

White Lightning
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Indeed.

When we changed the springs on mine the spring clamps that Andy had were actually bowing under the load. I believe the spring gets put under something like a tonne or more of compression. If that let's go it will really let go ... :speechles

We decided it was too dangerous and that's why I bought some new clamps with safety latches ... these are the ones that I got:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht224-3piece-coil-spring-compressor

And they did the job /yes

Just need to make sure you use all three, evenly spaced and load them up in small steps evenly ...

pezza
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Not wanting to scare you or anythin 'eeef! :scholar:

Kieran
04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Myself - any tips ?

If you need to reuse the strut tops, you need to disassemble the standard front shock/spring. Particularly on the front struts, make sure you soak the top of the piston with the big centre bolt with plenty of WD40, and ideally 'crack' (but DO NOT LOOSEN) the nut whilst it's still got the weight of the car on it - use an adjustable spanner or strong mole grips or a Vice to hold the piston steady whilst undoing the nut when it's off the car. The nut has a nylon threadlock in it and has been a complete @rse to remove every time I've done it.

Speaking as someone who nearly ended up with a nasty injury as a result of a spring compressor slipping, make sure you use good compressors - ideally triple-point ones, rather than just a pair - allows for more even compression.

When you're reassembling, make sure the front struts are rotated correctly - there should be a 'divot' near the bottom - this is to allow clearance for the shock fork bolt - And a jack on the bottom of the lateral arm will bring the hub carrier into position for you easily.

The rears are much easier, but the bottom bolt that secures the shock to the rear hub carrier on my car was *incredibly* stiff on one side - eventually the blowlamp and a breaker bar were bought into play. Oh, and the shaft that the rear shockers mount onto is tapered, as are the bushings on the rear shocks - so make sure you get them the right way round.

Oh, to get at the strut top bolts at the rear, remove the load cover, unscrew the screws on the trim and you can then wiggle 'em out.

Kieran
04-07-2007, 05:37 PM
By the way - my new set of clamps (purchased after my old ones tried to kill me!!) are exactly the same as the ones Wayne has linked to - nice bit of kit and very safe!:scholar:

HJM
04-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, tis very much appreciated :scholar:

Will make sure I use 3 clamps and possibly the ones recommended.

Might not be doing them this weekend - depends on my professional help I'm trying to enlist from the north part of my home county (just got to agree how much Bitburger I pay him in) :2thumbsup

H

K9NG
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I would offer to help Heath but, am expecting
an important little bundle to arrive soon :baby:

Good Luck.

P.S Wherever you take it for 4 wheel alignment after make sure
they don't drive the car /Grrr /pan

HJM
04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I would offer to help Heath but, am expecting
an important little bundle to arrive soon :baby:

Good Luck.

P.S Wherever you take it for 4 wheel alignment after make sure
they don't drive the car /Grrr /pan

Thanks for the offer, but your bundle is somewhat more precious and important - good luck and look forward to that pint or twelve after your delivery :2thumbsup

H

K9NG
04-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the offer, but your bundle is somewhat more precious and important - good luck and look forward to that pint or twelve after your delivery :2thumbsup

H

Oh yes plenty of wetting the baby's head :beerchug:

HJM
14-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Teins finally fitted at the weekend (not the easiest or quickest of jobs to do) - thanks to my Superstar mechanic Simon :iloveyou:

Car rides higher than the old Billies, but looks ok.

Not been able to really test (in for MoT today,etc) but first impressions are they are somewhere between a standard set up and the ultra low/stiff Bilsteins which is fine as the added height and comfort is just what I wanted as the car is now 'semi-retired' from tracking.

IMHO I would advise anyone who wants to track their VR4 to go for Bilsteins :pimp2:

H

Kieran
14-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Heath - The stiffness would come from the springs, not the shocks - Bilstein don't manufacture springs for the Galant/Legnum. I've got bilstein's B8 setup, which have the firmest damping available, but seeing as I'm using 'soft' Tein springs, the ride is nice and supple.

What brand of springs were fitted with your shocks? Normally (if there's any paint left!) it's specified on them.

The Vee
14-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Well done H &co. Semi retired?? Oh I see, you mean the leggy/pan /pan

HJM
14-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Heath - The stiffness would come from the springs, not the shocks - Bilstein don't manufacture springs for the Galant/Legnum. I've got bilstein's B8 setup, which have the firmest damping available, but seeing as I'm using 'soft' Tein springs, the ride is nice and supple.

What brand of springs were fitted with your shocks? Normally (if there's any paint left!) it's specified on them.

Unable to distinguish which springs but they were a lot thicker than the coilovers.

Still the old Bilsteins looked like they had served their time, but just going to keep most bits just in case !?!

White Lightning
14-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Good stuff ... wish I'd known that you had not fitted them yet as I would have got you to measure the wheel arch height on the Leggy ... I always said I wanted to mine to be the same ride height as yours esp at the front ... about one inch from top of tyre to the wheel arch wasn't it?

HJM
14-08-2007, 03:36 PM
... about one inch from top of tyre to the wheel arch wasn't it?

Not any more it's not :(

J

(Wayne, I think he may have measured the gap prior to fitting - I'll give him a nudge tonight :))

Simon
14-08-2007, 07:06 PM
:happy: The car looks great....not as low as before but its a good height. I think the gap was about 35mm before at the front and its now about 45mm+/- The Teins are the same set up as on may car. The springs that came off were thick and possibley Cusco...looked an expensive set up with differing rate springs top and bottom. The Teins are about half the thickness. We can lower HJM's a bit but i think its ok

It'll do me...............:happy:

pezza
15-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Sounds interesting...

I have the same setup but not put on the car as yet.

Assuming its the same spring rate does the car feel like it has enough travel to bottom out when the car has 4 adults in for example or high speed lil dips in the road?

45mm sounds about right to me too. Whats it like on the back?

Cheers

HJM
15-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Assuming its the same spring rate does the car feel like it has enough travel to bottom out when the car has 4 adults in for example or high speed lil dips in the road?

It's not taxed yet, but I'll let you know after lunch /Devil5

J

(Seriously though, it won't get four adults in it until next week, so we will report back then - it's good to have it back though :))

Wouter
15-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Good stuff ... wish I'd known that you had not fitted them yet as I would have got you to measure the wheel arch height on the Leggy ... I always said I wanted to mine to be the same ride height as yours esp at the front ... about one inch from top of tyre to the wheel arch wasn't it?

Don't worry Wayne, your Tein will come preset to a nice ride height, it'll drop the car a bit.

I had to raise the back a bit as I still have the little standard wheels... /pan