PDA

View Full Version : Engine warning light

hyper71
22-04-2007, 09:20 PM
hi i have a 1997 galant estate 2.0l 16v ,( 4g63 engine no if thats any help. )

Problem is under variable throttle (ie slowing down accelerating)no engine light on, but if i just trundle along about 60mph (My little mate as ive called him)
The picture of a engine lights up on instrument cluster.

if i accelerate roughly 5 second and it goes out.

I could go to dealer and get codes read which i might have to yet if none of you peeps can help me out, but for 30 mins probably work could be silly money

cheers
Andy

Kieran
23-04-2007, 12:18 AM
You can read the fault codes yourself.

Have a read of this thread, and click on the link within it - it links to an FTO site, but the information is valid for the Galant.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13785

When you've got the codes, let us know - I'd hazard a guess at either throttle position sensor, airflow meter or maybe even oxygen sensor? If it was the crank or cam sensors, I doubt the engine would run - but I may be mistaken!

pitslayer
23-04-2007, 12:19 AM
if you join clubvr4, you can get into the guides, and it will show you how to bring the fault codes up for free, and tells you how to...sorry cant offer anymore advice than that, seams a bit strange thow

pitslayer
23-04-2007, 12:20 AM
pah beaten to it, by the man who loves a dirty galant....didnt know about that thread lol, i was told i had to join to get my fault codes lol....although i think if i brought fault codes up on my car the dash would be a christmas tree lol

Kieran
23-04-2007, 12:24 AM
pah beaten to it, by the man who loves a dirty galant...

/pan /pan /pan /pan /pan

Go and wash your mouth out! :veryangry

In the members area we (somewhere!!) have a list of the diag codes, if not, I can get hold of them easy - but yes, how to get them is fairly common knowledge, so that's cool.:afro:

pitslayer
23-04-2007, 12:34 AM
i would wash my mouth out but not long had a tooth out so avoiding it lol.....

kieran, how come you take out your trademark line out of your sig
"no Galant is to dirty"

***runs and jumps behind sofa for cover, before kierancorp assassins are sent out***

hyper71
26-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys but this problem has been put on the back burner.