PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of OMP?

Nick Mann
22-04-2007, 09:46 PM
My front pads are down to a couple of mm of friction material, and I ain't got the dough to go out and buy genuine discs and Pagid blues to replace the setup I have now. (Although if I did, I would!)

After a bit of interwebbing, I found these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330056749708
and decided to buy them.

I have googled, but not really found much info about this manufacturer. Anyone got any info? All things being equal, I intend to give them a bit of abuse at Japfest, so I'll be able to tell you all if they are cheap and good or cheap and sh!te.

Anyway round, £200 for discs and pads for the Brembos ain't a bad deal. You could get a setup for around £150 if you bought the cheapest stuff you could find.

Axeboy
22-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Do OMP not make safety equipment for car racing?

Im sure its an italian company....

I only knew that they made crash helmets, bucket seats, harnesses etc

Kieran
23-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Funnily enough Nick - I was considering a set of OMP pads for Ariadne - she's eating these redstuffs very quickly!:speechles

Let me know what they're like - a set of OMP front pads is about £30, so if they're any good, I'm there!

Kenneth
23-04-2007, 12:47 AM
The last set of pads I got for my legnum were SilverLine Plus. good pads, and only £17 ($45 NZ)

Make a fair bit of brake dust IIRC, but never had any trouble stopping!

WildCards
23-04-2007, 09:46 AM
OMP are a huge company Nick, as Axe face says an Italian company that supply alot of motorsport bits 'n' bobs. I've bought a fair bit of stuff from YBRacing, the ebay seller and they have always been very reliable and honest.

Unfortunately everything i've heard about the pads they supply has said they aren't as good as the mainstream brands like Ferodo, EBC and Mintex, although that might just be a bit of brand name snobbery.

MPBVr4
23-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Looked OMP's myself when pads needed changing recently. I got "National"
plain disc from Camskill at about £130 / pair. At this point I fitted "Carbotech"
pads to the Brembos but couldn't put up with squealing so have now put
Mintex MPB2592 pads at £23.22 + P&C +VAT from http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

(Going to put Carbotechs back in for Japfest - fantastic stopping power.)

Nick Mann
23-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback chaps, I'll let you know when I fit them and most of you will be there to see how they cope with Combe!

richy rich
23-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Funnily enough Nick - I was considering a set of OMP pads for Ariadne - she's eating these redstuffs very quickly!:speechles

K if i remember rightly you have put grooved & dimpled discs on this is a big reason why you pads are going quickly.

the idea behind groves and dimples is to wipe clean your pads to always give you a good clean pad face.
so you have got extra Wiping ability this causes more ware.

Also if the dimples are not done correctly (IE sharp edges) the discs eat pads very quickly.

I think i pointed this out to you when you fitted them

White Lightning
23-04-2007, 12:22 PM

How quick is "quickly" Kieran ?

As you may have seen I have just fitted my EBCs and want to make sure they survive two sessions at Combe and xxx number of sessions at the 'Ring a week later ... :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
23-04-2007, 01:33 PM
How quick is "quickly" Kieran ?

As you may have seen I have just fitted my EBCs and want to make sure they survive two sessions at Combe and xxx number of sessions at the 'Ring a week later ... :inquisiti
I Kieran's world quickly = 5 years..........

Nick Mann
24-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, Steve, you was right! The stuff has already been delivered. It looks just like discs and pads!

I'll fit 'em this weekend and see how they bed in. :thumbsup:

WildCards
24-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, Steve, you was right! The stuff has already been delivered. It looks just like discs and pads!

I'll fit 'em this weekend and see how they bed in. :thumbsup:

Good stuff mate.

Nick Mann
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, one month on and a couple of sessions at Japfest round Combe, I can say that they work very well. The feel is okay, the cold and hot braking is not much difference, I was 'chirping' the tyres in the braking area for Quarry at the start and end of my two sessions.

But I fekkin' hate the pads. They squeel as though they intend to win the international squeeling competition. People literally stop walking and turn and stare. People in other cars wince when I stop near them. I am going to do a Derek and buy some cheap sh!t pads and see if the squeeling stops then.

The only other observations I have so far is the amount of brake dust people saw at Combe - several people commented - and the complete lack of wear on the discs. The pads are not as thick as they were when they were fitted, and I would be worried if they were. But the discs are simply shiney. No discernable wear at all.

So - good braking, good wear, good price, bleeding ears.

g6acb
02-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I heard your brakes out of the hotel car park and on the way into japfest and yep.... they were squeeky..... was also behind you with stuart driving (until he decided there were a few to many daisys growing on the inside of the track /rally :pimp2: /thankyou ) and the brake / tyre smoke was pretty bad... I have a photo from the 2nd session somewhere on my other 'puter that is pretty schmokin.....

Not quite as bad as kieran was mind.....

Kieran
03-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Not quite as bad as kieran was mind.....

:uhoh2:

WildCards
03-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, one month on and a couple of sessions at Japfest round Combe, I can say that they work very well. The feel is okay, the cold and hot braking is not much difference, I was 'chirping' the tyres in the braking area for Quarry at the start and end of my two sessions.

But I fekkin' hate the pads. They squeel as though they intend to win the international squeeling competition. People literally stop walking and turn and stare. People in other cars wince when I stop near them. I am going to do a Derek and buy some cheap sh!t pads and see if the squeeling stops then.

The only other observations I have so far is the amount of brake dust people saw at Combe - several people commented - and the complete lack of wear on the discs. The pads are not as thick as they were when they were fitted, and I would be worried if they were. But the discs are simply shiney. No discernable wear at all.

So - good braking, good wear, good price, bleeding ears.

Cool. Don't all Brembo's squeal though. I was driving dads again yesterday to get it cleaned and stickered up and his DS2500 pads squeal terribly. Of course he moans at me like it's my fault for recommending them. I thought it was just a fault with the EVO Brembos.

Nick Mann
03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
The Pagids I had before squeeled, but not in an ear-bleeding way, and not for this long. They took about a month to bed in properly, with the squeel only exisiting at car-park speeds. These can burst ear drums at 70mph from three cars away. After posting up yesterdays review, today I had a twentyish year old female scream abuse at me because I braked next to the car she was a passenger of. It's not good!

MPBVr4
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Carbotechs squeal like a banshee in my Brembo's although they are OK when hot. I used them at JF and they worked extremely well. However, for every day driving they are just too noisy. Have fitted Mintex (at about £24 for the fronts) and they are brilliant. No squealing, no fade with spirited driving and no excessive dust.