PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Brakes

Slimshady
22-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Help – I took the car for an early morning thrash to B&Q yesterday, about 10 miles through twisty country roads (one past Lotus factory, Ace road) – parked up spent about 20 mins or so shopping and then returned for the thrash home – I must admit I was on fire (well the car was) overtaking everything.

My main concern was when I arrived back on the outskirts of my town, I find the brakes weren’t working – foot fully to the floor and the car slowing but not what I would call braking.

Finally reached parking spot – got out only to find the brakes were on fire – yes on fire (well a bit anyway) lots of smoke and enough heat to give you an awesome suntan if you placed your hand past the alloys. + when I lifted the bonnet the brake fluid was a bit low (haven’t checked it for about a year) but it was very very hot.

The disks are drilled and grooved BD’s about a year old and the pads were replaced just before Christmas.

Question is what went wrong – only 20 miles of hard driving with a 20 min stop and the brakes were smoking (quite literally) – not exactly track material.

Any advice welcome

Slim

peter thomson
22-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Had similar problems when the pins were sticking and one of my pistons had jammed on

Slimshady
22-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Had similar problems when the pins were sticking and one of my pistons had jammed on

Both sides smoking so I don’t suspect sticking pistons (unless both are sticking) not sure about pins (how do you check?).

Slim

Kenneth
22-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Brakes do that if you push them hard.

I found mine did that after stopping from high speed a couple of times. It doesn't take many. I also found that after smoking a couple of times, it stopped. perhaps it was burning off crap that had built up on the pads/calipers.

I would bleed your brakes and change the fluid. If it hasn't been done in a while this could make quite a difference.

Another thing to look at is your brake pad compound. Mine were able to stop the car with the disks glowing red hot... not all will though, and the standard ones are crap.
A lot of your brakes ability to resist fade is in the pad compound, so it is really important that if you are going to have a thrash, you get a compound that will handle it.

amsoil
23-04-2007, 01:51 AM
If the pedal is firm but the car doesn't stop like it should and you have to push ever harder then you have overheated the pads and need some of a higher temperature range; if the pedal starts to get spongy and then goes to the floor whith perhaps a couple of pumps to stop then you have overheated the brake fluid. Bothe conditions are similar but have totally different causes. Both are fairly easy to sort.

Slimshady
24-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes breaks are good – a lot of dust in the rims after thrash – best progressive and then very sharp when needed pads + disks I have ever used. Only problem is how to keep them cool / responsive.

I am not bragging about how I can handle the car, just want to know how to stop the brake system failing / over heating and how I can keep cool if I wanted to track her.

The fluid was almost boiling – so how can I cool it?????

Kenneth
24-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes breaks are good – a lot of dust in the rims after thrash – best progressive and then very sharp when needed pads + disks I have ever used. Only problem is how to keep them cool / responsive.

I am not bragging about how I can handle the car, just want to know how to stop the brake system failing / over heating and how I can keep cool if I wanted to track her.

The fluid was almost boiling – so how can I cool it?????

Sounds like you are giving the brakes a good thrashing!

As previously stated, you can sort it with replacing your brake fluid with high temp stuff and getting pads with a higher temperature rating.

If you want to keep the brakes cooler, you are looking at a brake upgrade. bigger disks and calipers will disperse heat much better and stay cooler. Fluid and pads is simpler and cheaper...

Kenneth
24-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Brake fluid also absorbs water. The more water it absorbs, the worse the performance (the water lowers the boiling point)

So bleeding the fluid can help a lot if it hasn't been done for a while.