PDA

View Full Version : Feels like it wants to stall

Paulie
23-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this snag. The car starts no problems from cold and does everything it is supposed to! However if i have been generous with my right foot and have to come to a quick stop the revs can often drop really low on coming to a halt, sometimes flickering on the oil light briefly! (oil level is good, and oil is fairly new). As well as this, from starting the car when it is already hot, it can sometimes idle roughly( just below normal). Its not had new spark plugs for a little while, and these were gonna be my next port of call!!?? Any ideas??????????

Kieran
23-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Pretty common this is - Don't panic.

Air leak - particularly around the dump valve area, and can be exacerbated if you've got a badly adjusted Vent to Atmosphere dump valve (Ie, one that goes PSSSCCHT!!!)

Idle control stepper motor - Search for this on the forums - there's a few posts showing it's location. THey do wear out over time, but often they just need cleaning up - unbolt, spray, put back.

Incorrect Gearbox fluid level - If it's a tip. I speak from personal experience here and I think Jimbo had this too.

I think they'd be your top three. If the plugs were knackered it'd probably be a tw@t to start from cold.

Oh - And Welcome to ClubVR-4! Hope you enjoy your stay - don't forget the members area and our article library - if you're hanmdy with spanners, you could save a fortune! /Welcome

Paulie
23-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Great info cheers, thanks for the welcome too!! hopefully I should be ok with a spanner, been a helicopter tech for 10 yrs, only problem is that I have to buy the spares for this, so I cant just replace items willy nilly, like I can at work!!

richy rich
23-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Great info cheers, thanks for the welcome too!! hopefully I should be ok with a spanner, been a helicopter tech for 10 yrs, only problem is that I have to buy the spares for this, so I cant just replace items willy nilly, like I can at work!!
Firstly /Welcome

Second K is spot on as usual.

If you are going to bye just for working on the vr4 the sizes you will need i as follows

in different types IE sockets and spanners. (Halfords prof is a excellent choice)

rich

BraindG
23-04-2007, 10:46 AM
/Wyhy /Welcome

youll need a 22 aswell... The bolts for Lower Arm Assembly is 22mm :scholar:

richy rich
23-04-2007, 10:50 AM
/Wyhy /Welcome

youll need a 22 aswell... The bolts for Lower Arm Assembly is 22mm :scholar:
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
missed that 1.

also a allen key set up to 10mm and some screw drives pliers etc etc

Paulie
23-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I should have most of the tools, Its the no free spare parts that I meant! Fault diagnosis at work can sometimes mean replacing parts until it works properly. That gets expensive when you have to fund it yourself!!

Paulie
23-04-2007, 02:48 PM
16854 Does anyone think they can stick an arrow on this pic, or describe where the stepper motor is, ill be ok if i can locate it!!/pan

Kieran
23-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Okay, you can see the throttle body, right? It's just below that - it's underneath, creamy/brown plastic. In that picture a hose is running in front of it.

Paulie
24-04-2007, 08:18 AM

Can you comfirm, that its where I put the arrow?
Just dont want to be messeing around to find it, not now that the weather has turned!!
Cheers for all the good info so far guys!!!:iloveyou:

richy rich
24-04-2007, 08:51 AM

Can you comfirm, that its where I put the arrow?
Just dont want to be messeing around to find it, not now that the weather has turned!!
Cheers for all the good info so far guys!!!:iloveyou:
yep thats it

Gly
24-04-2007, 08:55 AM
well i just happen to have a spare throtal body and plenum on my floor,

the brown plug thing is the stepper motor,
its just below the throtal body

mpau009
24-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Also, you might want to do a search for the DIY diagnostic test, from the combination of fault codes you may be able to compare it to others experiences, and get closer to a solution that way.

My series of idle problems have all been caused by airleaks on the intake side, or the VTA bov not closing quick enough when coming off boost.

Paulie
24-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi guys, cleaned the motor and did the test that I have read about, with the engine warm, and the motor electrically connected, switch on the ignition and watch the plunger move, only mine did not seem to move far at all 2mm at the most!!! Anyone know how far it should move??/pan

Munta
26-04-2007, 09:44 PM
i have the exact same problem, but only started when i started mucking around with the BOV, so i would give that a shot 1st

Paulie
27-04-2007, 04:27 PM
yeah thats next, already done the stepper motor with very little joy!! might as well get a new dump valve!! :satan: