PDA

View Full Version : Falken tyres - WTF?

Rikki
23-04-2007, 12:24 PM
i bought a brand new set of falken f452's for the galant in october/november last year. Its in for its MOT just now and has just failed because the front two are illegal!!!

How? Anyone else found the lifespan rather short?

Wouter
23-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I had the same issue on my Blue leggy, but that was caused by suspension issues... and my love for round abouts!

Spirit
23-04-2007, 12:36 PM

I use them, but I go through 2/3 sets a year so can't really comment....but have they said why ? Is your tracking/cambers etc out.....were they evenly worn etc ?

Rikki
23-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I use them, but I go through 2/3 sets a year so can't really comment....but have they said why ? Is your tracking/cambers etc out.....were they evenly worn etc ?

he says they are evenly worn, just under the legal limit! ik new they were a soft tyre but thats a bit too short for my liking. might be better spending the extra on the goodyear which is harder, no?

Spirit
23-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Well of course, lifespan in terms of time is irrelevant.....how many miles have you done in that time ? And how aggressive is your driving style etc ?

TBH I have found the Falkens wear slightly better than the F1's

Rikki
23-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Well of course, lifespan in terms of time is irrelevant.....how many miles have you done in that time ? And how aggressive is your driving style etc ?

TBH I have found the Falkens wear slightly better than the F1's

think it was just a shock as i had tyres on the GLS last near 2 years, never mind 4 months. since i bought the car its done 13k, dont know how many since november though, maybe 5/6? and the driving style hasnt been that excessive, suspension still too soft for that lol.

WildCards
23-04-2007, 12:53 PM
i bought a brand new set of falken f452's for the galant in october/november last year. Its in for its MOT just now and has just failed because the front two are illegal!!!

Depends how you drive. I bought a set of Eagle F1's about the same time and had to change the fronts a month ago due to excessive wear.

Rikki
23-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Depends how you drive. I bought a set of Eagle F1's about the same time and had to change the fronts a month ago due to excessive wear.

i have just went and ordered the falkens again, purely for the fact i didnt want two different tyres on the car. ill rotate these ones in a couple of months n hopefully get a different set in 6 months time or whatever. saving £19 a tyre over the GDS3's.

Nick Mann
23-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I had FK451's on the VR4. They did around 12k, but would have done more if I hadn't worn them so much on the inside shoulder on the front wheels.

WildCards
23-04-2007, 02:42 PM
i have just went and ordered the falkens again, purely for the fact i didnt want two different tyres on the car. ill rotate these ones in a couple of months n hopefully get a different set in 6 months time or whatever. saving £19 a tyre over the GDS3's.

Cool, i'm running Toyo T1-r's on the front of the 306 at the minute which i've found to be as good as the GSD3's that were on before. I'll prolly go for whatevers on offer next time tbh.

Out of interest, how many miles did you do on the Falkens that your replacing?

MPBVr4
23-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I've had F1's on for a year now covered about 7K. Loads of wear left. However,
when they were first fitted I noticed excessive wear on the outside edge of
the fronts. This was down to tracking issue after Mitsi fitted a new joint on the
steering rack. Toooo much toe-in/pan Got them paralled up now with no signs of excessive wear.

Rikki
23-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Cool, i'm running Toyo T1-r's on the front of the 306 at the minute which i've found to be as good as the GSD3's that were on before. I'll prolly go for whatevers on offer next time tbh.

Out of interest, how many miles did you do on the Falkens that your replacing?

I reckon i have only done 5/6k at most as the car has only done 13k since i bought it a year ago. just seems excessive. I didnt buy the Falkens after all, turns out there was only £7 difference so the GSD3's are being fitted tomorrow. £77 each.

The garage that has the car is fixing the tracking and alignment before i get it back, so there shouldnt be any wear issues afterwards, although the guy did say there werent any to start with. all even wear :thinking:

Rambaud
23-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Lancia Integrale would go through front tyres (Bridgestones) in ~ 6000 miles.

Toyo T1-Proxes on my Audi S3 still had about 3000 miles left in them after 18,000 miles when the Lease ended.

Rikki
23-04-2007, 07:15 PM
well am just back from picking the wheels up. tyres were a state, and not evenly worn like the guy said, dunno what tyres he was looking at. inside edge were almost through to the steel. might have been caused by the fact i never got the wheels re-aligned after fitting the strut brace - oops.

anyways getting re-aligned tomorrow and new tyres fitted.

WildCards
24-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I reckon my GSD3's on the 306 did 6-8k, which I expected given how and where I drive it. Bare in mind the work the front tyres do on a front driver.

KHK
24-04-2007, 10:58 AM
i used Falken tires for many years, may be over 10 years
somehow lacking trust on it
and now using other brand : Bridgestone , Dunlop
or even i'd try Korean tires but no more Falken

thecustomer
24-04-2007, 11:31 AM
FK452s on my vr4 have done around 10k miles - and plenty left in them - another 6-10k road use I guess.
Wear is pretty even, with maybe a couple of mms more wear on the outer inch of the tyre.

And they're quieter than the 451s that were on before.

HJM
24-04-2007, 01:11 PM
We have been using Falkens for three years on all of our cars with no problems at all, including numerous track days and Ring trips - obviously how long they last depends largely on how much tracking they are subjected to, but they don't do badly!!

Cheers,

Jane

Rikki
24-04-2007, 01:41 PM
yeah i think if i had the alignment done earlier they would have lasted a lot longer, the outside of the tyre had 1/2 - 3/4 tread left!!

although if i think about it in money terms now, that £30 wheel alignment could have saved me £144 on tyres /pan /pan