PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet release cable. Anti mitsu rant time!

Paul Beazer
23-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Actually got the car off the island on sat. /rally
Had a good day and was back on the ferry when i thought "i know i'll just check under the bonnet, seeing as the old girls not used to this much use". Pulled the bonnet release, nice and smooth, but no openy bonnetty! Bugger!
got home, much swearing and stripping of the front end and got the bonnet popped. Cable has snapped. Temp fix using a bike spoke through the bit where the cable goes and a bent loop on the end.

Called Mitsu for a price on a new cable assemby (inner and outer cable, ref MR215255 if you're interested), £16.90!!!! You forgot your black eyemask you theiving magpies!!:speechles
so being a tight get, they can shove that back in their parts bin. Pretty sure i can get a tandem bike gear cable for £3 using the existing outer. Should be able to dig up a locking nipple at the lock end and jobs done.
A saving of £14!
Oh and the mitsu parts bloke thought it was quite a reasonable price. Go on feck orf!

Kieran
23-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Errr.... :embarasse

I thought that was an okay price too?! :inquisiti

Wouter
23-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Yeah me too! It must be his Island mentality!! :evilgrin:

BraindG
23-04-2007, 02:22 PM
16 quids nothing, what you on about Paul?

but if you do a home made version, article! :p

White Lightning
23-04-2007, 02:33 PM
That's not too bad Paul ...

How about paying £34 for a caliper repair kit when you actually only need one rubber dust seal ... /Grrr

richy rich
23-04-2007, 05:42 PM

me ass well

BraindG
23-04-2007, 05:45 PM
me ass well
:speechles oh RLY!?

RugbyPete
23-04-2007, 07:51 PM
id buy it

mines peed me off too, but its the locking mechanism thats seized, not the cable.
bit of lube and it closes with a finger.

bit thats really annoying me however is the petrol cap, it wont open when i pull that cable
/help

steve190
23-04-2007, 09:10 PM
id buy it

mines peed me off too, but its the locking mechanism thats seized, not the cable.
bit of lube and it closes with a finger.

bit thats really annoying me however is the petrol cap, it wont open when i pull that cable
/help

Eh :speechles Pulling the bonnet release won't open the petrol filler cap :inquisiti is it supposed to.

Paul - move to the mainland, you won't have to pay the shipping excess :evilgrin:

Paul Beazer
23-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh my aching ribs.

Ok the reason im aggrieved at paying £17 for a poxy bit of cable is as follows.

I ride a mountainbike and the bonnet release cable is the same diameter and outer cabling as gear cables for a bike. The cost? £6 the lost. And its probably better quality than the mitsu stuff. THATS WHY I RESENT PAYING SO MUCH!

If my cunning plan comes together i'll do an article.

Kieran
23-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I ride a mountainbike and the bonnet release cable is the same diameter and outer cabling as gear cables for a bike. The cost? £6 the lost. And its probably better quality than the mitsu stuff. THATS WHY I RESENT PAYING SO MUCH!

Tight-@rse.... /Devil5

Oooh, we're all being bitchy tonight, aren't we?! /haz :iloveyou:

steve190
23-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Tight-@rse.... /Devil5

I should hope so - have you seen the size of saddles on bikes nowdays. Make thongs look positively WIDE :laugh:

ralliart-type-s
23-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Pmsl.

Kieran
23-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I should hope so - have you seen the size of saddles on bikes nowdays. Make thongs look positively WIDE :laugh:

/lol /lol

RugbyPete
23-04-2007, 10:04 PM
lol different cable!