PDA

View Full Version : Replace clear side indicators with smoked?

Johnny_Cashed
26-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi, I guess I must be the newest Club VR-4 member here. I just wanted to ask your opinion on changing the indicators on the front wings from clear to smoked - would it look any good? I've attached a pic of my galant, it's a 2003 2.5V6-24 elegance in pyrenees black, love driving it and the compliments I get (always start with "I love the front end, it looks agressive...") but insurance is a killer for a 21yr old. The haynes manual I have for the galant doesn't specify how to remove the indicators though, so any help there would be appreciated.

Paul Beazer
26-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Indicators are a bit of a fiddle to remove on their own. Its far easier to remove the whole headlamp unit. There are 4 bolts holding it on, 2 nearest the front grill (you'll need to remove this first) one above the headlamp in the corner nearest the wing on one on the inner wing. Once all 4 bolts have been removed the whole headlamp assembly will come out.
You then need to remove a single crosshead screw on the top of the headlight where the indicator sits next to the headlamp. I think after that it just unclips from the headlamp assembly.

You can get less orangy looking bulbs which get rid of the orange lens look. They have more of a mirrored look to them.
If you do a search for indicator bulbs you should get some useful results.

I presume you have the american Haynes Manual for the Galant? Bear in mind the american models have different v6 engines (6G72 variants) rather than the UK/Jap 6A13s we have AND the suspension and some bodywork is rather different. Probably more useful as a general reference tool than anything else.

Davezj
26-04-2007, 01:39 PM
if you mean the side repeater indicators, i did these on my black VR4 and they look great. you just pop them off with a screw drive under one of the ends. disconnect the plug on the back an pop it back in. takes about 5-10mins per side depending how careful you are

Actually you do it very carefully so you don't damage the paint work.

i used a one of those brake off stanley knife blades with some masking tape wrapped round it to ensure you spread the load of the prizing off and this way you don't damage the paint work.

it souldn't take too much force to remove it either, the blade will flex a bit but not much.

hope this helps dave

Paul Beazer
26-04-2007, 01:47 PM
My bad, wrong ones! Oh well you'll know what to do in future!

n13l pm
26-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I was thinking about doing it myself before but I reckon it would look better staying clear on my car, it matches the front end better, but then again you got a black car so it might look better in smoke.

as Davezj said just take a screw driver with a thin cloth around it and push it in from one side and try to slide the lens as its got a plastic clip type thing holding it place on one end. I reckon its a 3min job and once you done one side the other side will take you seconds.

I reckon you change the bulbs too mate to sliver mirror ones on both the side and front indicatiors. I got mines from this dude on ebay (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KSH-AUDIO-LTD_Bulbs_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7470784QQftidZ2QQ tZkm). I cant remember if the front indicator bulbs are offset or not..

Johnny_Cashed
26-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi, thanks for all the comments, they're really helpful.

Paul:

Yeah didn't realise that the haynes manual was for the US version till I had it, it's still ok for reference purposes I suppose, but this forum is better.

Davevj:

Thanks, I'll do that, hopefully I won't damage the paint. I thought that the smoked would look good, just thought I'd ask first.

n13l pm:

I've noticed when I walk away from the car that the orange indicator bulbs in the front headlight unit do spoil the look a bit and was thinking about getting the silver ones. Also, I was wanting to ask you, I noticed in a previous thread you got a DIY HID kit from ebay, but the link is dead on ebay and couldn't find the seller; is there any difference between all the people selling them? got an MOT in june so would probably leave it till after that, but the stock bulbs in this car look a bit crap.

n13l pm
26-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I cant stand orange indicator bulbs! First thing I did to the car was to change them.

As for the HIDs; I just got my HID kit from the cheapest seller i could find on ebay. Try to purchase yours from a UK seller, because you might have to pay tax on top of the price if you get them from overseas and at minimum you can contact the seller if theres anything wrong with them. Search around on the site, I know a lot of people have them. I know I paid under £100 for mine.

I passed my MOT last month with no problem, but I know the pattern of the beam is wrong and therefore shouldnt pass. I guess its one of those things, some garages might let you get away with it..

TAR
26-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 to the club.

Nice car:happy:

Subaru ETA
27-04-2007, 07:29 AM
to avoid damaging the paint open the door and look into the gaurd, u can see the back of the light. get a long bit of wood and push on the clip hard and it should disengage it

Johnny_Cashed
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, they arrived this morning so I thought I'd get them fitted, and I took a few pics to help anyone else that does this, although it is extremely easy thanks to the advice.

First, I only need a screwdriver wrapped in brown parcel tape (to stop it scratching the paint) and the items themselves.

I placed the screwdriver inside the repeater recess, and gently levered it out, and it came out easily with a pop.

The repeater was now hanging out of the socket, so I removed the clip holding the wire to the repeater, and twisted the bulb socket to remove that. I decided to keep the original bulbs even though some came free with the repeaters.

Then it was just a case of putting the old bulb in the new repeater and reversing the process. Here are some pics that go through the whole process. Risk involved : 0/10 although I might put a blob of silicon behind them as the new repeaters aren't as tight as the originals. And yes, I did just wash the car too, check out the reflections! Total cost £17 posted.

psbarham
05-05-2007, 07:48 PM
looks well :afro:

ANTHONY
05-05-2007, 07:51 PM
yep defo better i did mine a few months ago, i then put the original clear 1's back on ebay and sold them for £10.00 so the smoked 1's work out a cheap deal then

Beastlee
05-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Interested in selling the old clear ones? I want rid of my amber ones and I'd rather give a club member my cash.

If you're inerested are you going to Japfest this month? I could collect and save postage then.