PDA

View Full Version : My new car

chocofrog
26-04-2007, 09:09 PM
hi

My names Ben from Leicester and ive just bought a VR4 with no MOT for £1000. I took it for mot today and it failed on a windscreen which has now been replaced. It also failed on no rear fog light which has been knocked off. It needs a bit of a touch up but my mate does paint for a living so it should look tidy again by the weekend. I go to the jap events so hopefully will see some of you when you have stands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/benjibubs/DSC00015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/benjibubs/DSC00010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/benjibubs/DSC00009.jpg

It has a sticker in the rear window so im guessing the last owner was a member of this forum.

Cheers

Ben

Nick VR4
26-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 dont know who owned it before you

bradc
26-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't recognise it either. You got it at a good price though, as long as it all works :)

chocofrog
26-04-2007, 09:22 PM
ive got over £4000 in reciepts over the past 2 years. It drives really nice but has a bit of a hesitation so hopefully a service will cure it. Its had a brand new transfer box fitted too. Does anyone here have a pair of roof bars for it?

Cheers

Ben

Nutter_John
26-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi Frog

Welcome to the club , looks like you have a booby bargin there with that price .

If there is anything we can do for ya give us a shout

Cheers John

Kieran
26-04-2007, 09:32 PM
P911 BUB.... Who the hell was that then? The only member I know with a plate ending like that had a manual, and AFAIK still has it.

Anyway, welcome - and yes, 1K is a steal!!:afro:

chocofrog
26-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks John

Do you know were i can get roof bars from? The guy who sold me it told me the stepper contoller on the throttle was at its maximum adjustment, i will look into this further but if it is on its way out how much do you think it would cost for the part.

Thanks for the help

Ben

chocofrog
26-04-2007, 09:41 PM
thanks kieran

Lillywotsername
26-04-2007, 10:07 PM
/Welcome..... Nice looking car you got there, and what a price!!!!

Glad you payed attention to the sticker in the back, you have found the right club to be with.

We also have a large stand at Japfest next month if you fancy popping by.

CANDEE
26-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice little facelift you have there... :P I like it without the roof rails.. :)

Lillywotsername
26-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Just had a thought on the roof bars.... Send Mo ( zedy1) of Galant Spares a pm.... He may have 1

chocofrog
26-04-2007, 10:12 PM
im gonna become a member asap and look forward to meeting some of you lot at the show.

Cheers

ben

chocofrog
26-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Cheers for the help Lilly.

Ben

Lillywotsername
26-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Dunno if you are interested in meeting a couple of us on Saturday, but there will be a mini meet at Donington Park if you are interested.

Hey... No worries mate.

Brunty
26-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Hiya!

Welcome to the club.

There is a set of roofbars that frequently crops up on Ebay.

ralliart-type-s
26-04-2007, 10:33 PM
ive got over £4000 in reciepts over the past 2 years. It drives really nice but has a bit of a hesitation so hopefully a service will cure it. Its had a brand new transfer box fitted too. Does anyone here have a pair of roof bars for it?

Cheers

Ben

I've just taken the roof rails off my legnum, yours for £100 inc p+p.

Brunty
26-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Thought the number rang a bell - think I saw this car when Earl came to visit the UK - Wirdy (not his) reckons there are a few around. THREAD HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13213)- it's a short one!

P***BUB is good, but it's no V***EOU!

:happy:

bradc
26-04-2007, 10:46 PM
you're right steve, V8**EOU is a much better plate

Brunty
26-04-2007, 10:49 PM
I probably should have said more numerous - I'm not a platist!

bradc
26-04-2007, 11:06 PM
V is better because it implies a facelift car, and they are much better than prefacelift P plates :)

Kieran
26-04-2007, 11:23 PM
V is better because it implies a facelift car, and they are much better than prefacelift P plates :)

Frog - just so you understand, Brad was dropped on the head a few too many times as a child - hence his odd views. He sometimes dribbles a bit too, but you'll get used to him.:scholar:

CANDEE
26-04-2007, 11:28 PM
He is also going through purple car withdrawl symtoms(these include hallucinations among other things), therefore some ramblings are due to this as well as the reasons outlined above by our good friend Kieran.. :scholar:

Nevman
27-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the club mate

william
27-04-2007, 02:12 AM
I've just taken the roof rails off my legnum, yours for £100 inc p+p.

How did you take them off? Did you have the holes filled or did you put some plugs in? Any chance of some pics?

I would like to take mine off too if it is not too much of a job.

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 08:43 AM
well ive just dropped the car of for a retest and theres a knocking noise coming from the engine. at first i thought it was a rattly cat shield as thats the kind of noise its making but ive had a look and its not rattling. Ive had bottom end bearings go on my 200sx and that was a deep rattle/knocking but this one i dont know. :(

Looks like ill be needing alot of your help as i know cars in general but not much about the mechanics of these.

I put 97 octane fuel in as thats the best they have at tescos (im tight), is that high enough for these cars?

im defo up for donnington as long as the cars ok by sat, ive got a few useful friends popping round to have a listen so hopefully we can cure it. What normally goes on at these mini meets then?

Ben

Nick Mann
27-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Is it a tap type rattle or a deeper sound?

The lash adjusters will tap like gooduns on these cars with very little provocation. (search the site for lash adjusters and you'll get what I mean!)

Nutter_John
27-04-2007, 09:59 AM
IS the noise when driving or on idle ?

if it is whilst driving it could be a engine mount knackered

WildCards
27-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Another Leicester member! Woohoo! Where abouts are you Ben? I don't recognise from the pics. I'll be heading up to Donny in the morning for a few hours hopefully.. race ya!

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 11:47 AM
it does it on idle and in drive. yesterday it was only on idle but now its all time. i havent ragged it and have only driven to the mot station and back. ive had a little look underneath and its louder so im guessing its something to do with the bottom end. Ive already got 2 other cars on my drive that dont run hopefully this wont be another! :( Thanks for the help john

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Im from wigston mate where abouts are you?

Ben

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Cheers Nick the adjusters where replaced less than a year ago according to the reciepts, the work was done at exreme in birmingham.

Ben

Nutter_John
27-04-2007, 12:06 PM
it does it on idle and in drive. yesterday it was only on idle but now its all time. i havent ragged it and have only driven to the mot station and back. ive had a little look underneath and its louder so im guessing its something to do with the bottom end. Ive already got 2 other cars on my drive that dont run hopefully this wont be another! :( Thanks for the help john

Do you have a knock meter as you should be able to pickup bottom end noise from it , another thing can you describe the noise ( eg does it sound like a bag of spanners being rattled )

If it is the big end shims then I would be careful as the damage may not be that bad at the moment and you could get away with just replacing the shims as long as the crank isn't marked .

good luck with it though

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 12:18 PM
im about to go and get underneath to see if anything has come loose. when i put my ear to the inlet manifold you cant really hear the knocking and i would of thought tif the fault was internal the sound would carry to the manifold, ah well ill keep looking. If i cant work it out ill take a sound recording and put it up here.

Loving the help, top forum.

Ben

White Lightning
27-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a steal on the car. If it makes you feel any better I paids a lot more than you for mine last year and the bottom end went after two months. But after an engine swap with a lower miler it is now running lurvely ...

So was the engine alright when you first got it? Does the frequency of the noise sound like bottom end? (usually bottom end noises are lower frequency than top end noises).

We think it was the big end bearings gone on mine (not proven yet as we have not stripped the old engine) and mine was quite at idle but rattled like a barsteward at about 2500rpm and above ... as anyone who went to Japfest II last year can tell you.

Cheers
Wayne

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 07:40 PM
i can breath again. I found the fault, one of the bolts on the flywheel was cross threaded when the new box and transfer box was fitted by extreme in birmingham causing the bolt to hit the inner side of the case. The bracket that sits between them was rattling because it wasn't tight. Now im not saying that extreme caused the fault as auto boxes sometimes get sent out to other places as they are quite complicated but its funny how they replaced the transmission side of things and didn't notice this when putting the box in. To make matters worse two bolts that hold the gearbox to the engine were missing and one bolt was kind of sitting there laying in its hole with no thread! Like i say i dont know if it was the fault of extreme but the guy i bought it off says he hasn't touched the car with any kind of tool.

I will not be using this company ever, but im sure alot of people haven't had a problem with them. Sorry if i affend anyone with this but when i was a mechanic i hated seeing work done by arthur job :)

Its now passed its MOT so all i have to do is tax it online and then have lots of fun (hopefully). First off all though im gonna buy a beer and enjoy the fact that the fix cost me 60p:)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Ben`

peter thomson
27-04-2007, 07:45 PM
That's great news and must be a major relief to you. Welcome to the club

Nutter_John
27-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Great News Ben , glad for ya :2thumbsup

Would suggest you give the car a very good look over to make sure no other bits were not done 100%

psbarham
27-04-2007, 07:53 PM
welcome to the club you jammy jammy git . oh and well done on the cheap fix

Paul Beazer
27-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Never mind the cost of fuelling it will balance out any savings you made buying it!!! /pan
Lucky sod, im soooo not jealous!

chocofrog
27-04-2007, 09:23 PM
just to make it worse for ya i swapped it for a non running no mot no tax L reg range rover plus 300 quid. The bloke i bought it off seems like a top bloke but i cant help having a smug grin at the mo :) Its gots some paint work problems like stone chips and slight grazing but my mate works for paint wizard so it wont be long before its shiny shiny. Im off to vogue in leicester tomorrow to have a look at some 18's for her. im after a bit of a dish, bbs rs stle spokes and im thinking of having them in white what do you think?

Ben

White Lightning
27-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Great news ...

I know you have to get those flywheel bolts damn tight. It amazed me how small the bolts are when I saw them considering the amount of torque that goes through the flywheel ... :speechles

Lillywotsername
28-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Really nice to meet you today Ben......Pleased you came to Donington.

thecustomer
28-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Im off to vogue in leicester tomorrow to have a look at some 18's for her. im after a bit of a dish, bbs rs stle spokes and im thinking of having them in white what do you think?

Ben

i Ben

Sounds like you've got a steal there - and 60p may be the cheapest fix ever on a VR4....

The 18s would look great

and first I'd get the car checked over, and do some preventative maintenance - unless you know they've been done in the last 4.5k miles, change the engine transfer & diff oils, and check the atf colour. If it's not red, change it.

A couple of hundred pounds spent here (which you thought you were up for anyway!) will save money down the line.

You'r enot that far from Stoke: a trip to WRD is call for!

& enjoy
/rally
Will

big Pete
29-04-2007, 12:57 AM
£1000 quid, then a 60p fix!!

Git....git, lucky bugger, sodding git!!

Well done squire!! ;-)

Hope all works out well for you.

Pete

chocofrog
29-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I met a few people at donnington on Sat and i have to say what a nice friendly bunch of people. I apologise for leaving so soon but i had only taxed my car that day and the a50 was calling me. I had a play with a Seat Cupra on the M1, i think i actually upset him, he he he. Me and my brother had a top time and were really looking forward to Japfest now.. oh and also the chocolate brownies we were told about.

Cheers

Ben

WildCards
30-04-2007, 10:46 AM
You tart, 18" wheels are for homo's. Get some 17" wheels off an EVO (El Cheapo) and lower it on TEIN springs. Whip out the interior, get a custom cage fitted and buy some earplugs. Fun fun fun.

BraindG
30-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Im glad it was an easy fix.

I had a similair problem a while ago, before i put my new clutch in. I used to have this mad rattle, which I couldnt explain. However, when the transferbox came off, it was obvious the noise was coming from a loose bolt that holds the gearbox to the engine, which was covered up by the transfer box.. After clutch was replaced, no more ratlle.. happy days! :p

stuey
30-04-2007, 11:54 AM
18" wheels are for homo's......

:sad3:

Lillywotsername
30-04-2007, 01:08 PM
You tart, 18" wheels are for homo's.
Steve you are the only real HOMO on here..... And don't forget it:inquisiti :inquisiti :happy: :iloveyou:

Kieran
30-04-2007, 01:23 PM
You tart, 18" wheels are for homo's. Get some 17" wheels off an EVO (El Cheapo) and lower it on TEIN springs. Whip out the interior, get a custom cage fitted and buy some earplugs. Fun fun fun.

You've just answered a question for me! :afro: :scholar: :scholar:

WildCards
30-04-2007, 04:31 PM
You've just answered a question for me! :afro: :scholar: :scholar:

What Dat Den?

Jimbo
30-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I found the fault, one of the bolts on the flywheel was cross threaded when the new box and transfer box was fitted by extreme in birmingham causing the bolt to hit the inner side of the case.

Xtreme strikes again. For a company that sourced and sold all the facelift cars in the UK, they sure are hopeless when it comes to maintaining them. Don't ever ask them to do any servicing! Ok, so I'm a little bit biased, but if you read some of my experiences on here, you'll understand....

Great to meet you on Saturday, Ben. Keep an eye on the forums for news of Nurburgring trips, would be great if you could join us on one.

bradc
30-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Steve is right, 18" wheels will slow your cars acceleration and use more fuel. Stick with light weight 17" wheels

ralliart-type-s
30-04-2007, 08:48 PM

/pan So I'm a homo am I?? Say that to my face, I'll bring a step ladder for you. (and an ambulance...............(just in case you hit me!!!)/pan

Kieran
30-04-2007, 08:50 PM
What Dat Den?

I popped into Fittapart the other day and Martin was grilling me over someone who'd rang with a suspension question. :scholar:

WildCards
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
I popped into Fittapart the other day and Martin was grilling me over someone who'd rang with a suspension question. :scholar:

Must be a bit slow day today mate, apologies but i'm still none the wiser to how my post answered your question.

RTS - you wouldn't hit a lady would you?

chocofrog
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Cheers for the advice. So then whos got a set of 17" evo wheels for sale so i dont get called a homo :) defo up for the Nurburgring as long as works not busy. Im hoping to go to the melton mowbray event next tuesday that steve mentioned. is anyone else going? it would be nice to have a convoy and to see some familar faces.

Ben

WildCards
01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Search ebay for some alloys from an EVO 5 to 9 depending on what you like. I picked up some EVO 8 (?) alloys for £100 in pretty good condition. Or search the MLR, or look on Pistonheads.

Solardavid350
08-05-2007, 11:30 PM
/duh £1100 for 18" alloys and tyres and now i`m a homo !
THANK GOD...it was the one of the previous owners who bought em and not me.:d

WildCards
09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Bloody forums full of Homo's all of a sudden, quick the sky is falling!!

pitslayer
12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
ahhhhh nice car its in the best colour as well, and dont let anyone tell you different either