PDA

View Full Version : Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes - how many ?

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Stupid question but how many bushes are there on the front anti-roll bar?

Assuming you haven't been ploughing through any hedges recently ... /pan

I assume it's 2 ???

BraindG
30-04-2007, 01:07 PM
yeah i believe so - not to sure whats in the middle though, cant find anything in workshop manuals about it...

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 01:09 PM
yeah i believe so - not to sure whats in the middle though, cant find anything in workshop manuals about it...

Cheers bud.

Noticed that my near side one is completely shot at the weekend but haven't got the car here to check underneath.

/clicks send on email to Mitsi in Reading ...

BraindG
30-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Both mine at the front are screwed, the rubbers split in half, and it looks like its resting on ze metal. :inquisiti

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Both mine at the front are screwed, the rubbers split in half, and it looks like its resting on ze metal. :inquisiti

My passenger one looks a bit like that. Wondering if it may be the source of my knocking ... :inquisiti

Still waiting for my new rear anti roll bar from Mitsi. Once that comes in I will do both.

We are going to be experts on anti roll bars soon ... :scholar:

BraindG
30-04-2007, 01:21 PM
My passenger one looks a bit like that. Wondering if it may be the source of my knocking ... :inquisiti
Quite possibly you know - every now and again that knocking noise i mentioned a few weeks ago can be replicated... but, only when car is at certain angle going over a hole/bump/knock-enducing-thing. Nothing else i checked would do that, or atleast nothing i could see.. the knocking noise of mine is very hard, and loud and can be felt through car if and when it happens.

We are going to be experts on anti roll bars soon ... :scholar:

:scholar:

TAR
30-04-2007, 01:43 PM
This is from CAPS using a Legnum VIN

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Parts are on order now ... managed to spend £41.76 on the following ... :speechles

- 2x Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes
- 2x Upper Caliper Lock Bolts with rubber bushes

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 01:50 PM
By the way, can the bushes be replaced without having to undo the drop links?

TAR
30-04-2007, 02:13 PM
The bushes are split rubber so should be able to wrestle them into place without disturbing the drop links.:happy:

BraindG
30-04-2007, 02:15 PM
nah, take drop links out Wayne... its a total pice of piss to remove drop links..

Should take you like 2 mins to remove drop links, and witout that extra tension there youll get the job of chaning bushes done much quicker!..

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 02:20 PM
nah, take drop links out Wayne... its a total pice of piss to remove drop links..

Should take you like 2 mins to remove drop links, and witout that extra tension there youll get the job of chaning bushes done much quicker!..

Okie Dokie ...

BraindG
30-04-2007, 02:28 PM
top tip :D

Get a bar, of some sort.. i always use my bar thing from the trolley jack..

Place that over the top of the antiroll bar, and place the end under the lip of the chassis.. then push it down and wedge it under the bit the steering rack connects to.. that holds it in place, and frees up both arms to use two 14mm spanners to remove the drop link.. ive had it ping out a couple times and nut me in the arm/face... but 75% of the time its fine, just dont knock it.. lol.. or get someone to help you at this stage...

here is a pic incase you have no idea what i mean

The green line points to a lip on the chassi where you can stick the pole under..

the red line = direction of pole, under above mentioned lip, and over roll back, and under steerign rack, rod end bit on the hub.. or have someone push it down for you.

White Lightning
30-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Nice one Barry ... will give that a try. Had to do a similar thing when I changed the steering rack on the Ka the other day. I've also found that jacking up gently on the brake disc can be useful when working with drop links and stuff ...

BraindG
30-04-2007, 03:03 PM
I've also found that jacking up gently on the brake disc can be useful when working with drop links and stuff ...
yeah, thats a must at times aswell!

BraindG
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
For those who ordered Cusco Anti Roll bars..

Did you get all the rubber bushes you needed when you bought the bars? or did you have to go to mitsibishi get get more?

Thanks

RugbyPete
08-05-2007, 10:58 PM
As ever, I'm curious as to how you get on.

If it sorts your knocking, I'm on it !

White Lightning
08-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Nope. I changed the front anti-roll bar bushes on Saturday and the knocking is still there. The old bushes were not too bad when I took them out. The passenger side one had a very small crack starting to develop but other than that they were fine ...

The hunt continues ...

RugbyPete
10-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Thought about driving into mitsubishi for a quote, alerting them of the replacements you've done?

White Lightning
10-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Thought about driving into mitsubishi for a quote, alerting them of the replacements you've done?

Could do but I have got at least one more thing to try before I consider doing that. Latest theory is that it's the bottom of the gearbox casing knocking against the front suspension cross member. I have just picked up a new lower front engine/gearbox mount (which needed doing anyway) and will be replacing it on Saturday along with putting some padding between the gearbox and cross member. This should prove or disprove this latest theory ...

Beastlee
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Can you go over the rumble strip with only one side of the car at a time? Just a thought as my noise only comes when the right front wheel passes over bumps. No matter what I do with the passenger side it doesn't knock.
THe other thing I noticed wehn doing the braking test is that the passenger side wheel stops dead when applying the brake but the driver side does a very small shudder. May be worth checking.

White Lightning
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately not, but my perception is that the noise happens more when the front passenger wheel goes over a bump. That said if you drive over the rumble strip quickly enough you get the knocking noise even when the rear wheels go over albeit the noise is less.

Beastlee
10-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe you have a duff passenger side track rod compared to my drivers side? If it wasn't for the bad weather forecast I'd spend some time under it investigating.

White Lightning
10-05-2007, 09:08 PM
My money was on the passenger side track rod (or steering rack end - whatever you want to call it) but I spent ages pushing and pulling it with the car on and off jacks and they is just no play in it whatsoever.

RugbyPete
10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Can you go over the rumble strip with only one side of the car at a time? Just a thought as my noise only comes when the right front wheel passes over bumps. No matter what I do with the passenger side it doesn't knock.
THe other thing I noticed wehn doing the braking test is that the passenger side wheel stops dead when applying the brake but the driver side does a very small shudder. May be worth checking.

Passenger side doesnt knock AT ALL just the drivers side, try driving over cats eyes if you must. Annoying thing is it just feels like some sort of bush, that under certain circumstances doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes I've made a rumble and it's as if I've had it fixed (like on remaining part of a deminished bush) but then at other times its loose and "Donky Donk".
Maan this is something that's getting a few of us, when we find it, it needs a respected sticky and recognition this is a major 'issue' on some Galants that took a lot of time and money to sort out.

Seriously, we should be looking at our makers, where is mitsubishi!!/pan

Beastlee
11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Pete,

At least I can can confirm it's exactly the same thing on both our cars now. Mustbe a common component between the V6 and VR4 so that sort of helps to narrow it down.

caishanvr4
11-05-2007, 08:13 PM
For those who ordered Cusco Anti Roll bars..

Did you get all the rubber bushes you needed when you bought the bars? or did you have to go to mitsibishi get get more?

Thanks

Ive had my cusco arb's on the car for a couple of weeks now and the knocking noise is /Grrr me off. It didn't come with any bushes but on removal of the standard arb they looked practically new so i stuck with them. On close inspection today the rubber bush is all bent out of shape and not fitting flush like the standard arb so i guess thats what the knocking noise is :inquisiti would the dealers supply the bushes for the thicker arb?

BraindG
11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
ang on.. are the Cusco Bars thiner? or thicker than standard?

i was told by RHD japan that they come with bushes? - where did you get your antis from?

caishanvr4
12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
ang on.. are the Cusco Bars thiner? or thicker than standard?

i was told by RHD japan that they come with bushes? - where did you get your antis from?

From Rhys show car, the arb is thicker than standard