PDA

View Full Version : TYPE V or TYPE S?

Bagofsand
09-12-2003, 06:27 PM
I have been looking for a VR4 and been offered a Facelift 1998 TYPE V Legnum with 61K Km and what appears to be the factory sport pack ( Fake carbon fibre dash, Body mouldings & Recaro seats. all For £7900.
i was wondering if the TYPE S was a Higher spec?

PHOTOS ATTACHED ( Hope they are the right ones)

the_boy
09-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Photos??

Brind
09-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Type-S is the automatic gearbox version, it also comes with AYC and traction control although traction is an optional extra on facelift models.

Type-V has a manual trasnmission and is much harder to get hold of.

Nick Mann
09-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Is it silver?

Bagofsand
09-12-2003, 09:56 PM
yes. ahs a two tone steering wheel red/black. Do you Know the car?

Nick Mann
09-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Think I saw it advertised. Closer to £9000, but was surprised at the mileage. The price seemed good, but I didn't actually look at the car. Is the gearbox auto/tip or manual?

Nick Mann
09-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Is it this one?

The front mumper appears to have a ding in it. This is quoted as a type V, but has the auto/tip box.

Roadrunner
09-12-2003, 10:29 PM
That car has the wheelarch extensions too - I'd say it's a Type S :)

Bagofsand
10-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Yes thats the one. It does have Tiptronic. it also has a recaro interior. How can you tell if it has Traction Control fitted? All Help and thoughts appreciated. Dont want to buy a bucket of poo!

Spirit
10-12-2003, 08:25 AM
There should be a seperate "TCL" off button and display on the dasboard which illuminates when you turn it off.

Spirit
10-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Also have a look under the bonnet for this: (pic courtesy of Brind)
http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=635&stc=1

Bagofsand
10-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Where is the switch? Is the warning light in the main binnacle? what symbol does it display? How do you attached photos to Posts

BraindG
10-12-2003, 09:01 AM
How do you attached photos to Posts

open post
in second grey box you will see Attach Files
in which is a button called manage attachments - click it
use browse button to locate files.. once you have selected the files, click upload, which is located to the right...

once done click close window, files will now be attached in the order you selected them via browse...

Where is the switch?
I believe its to the right of the steering wheel, on the dash.. not sure what the light looks like, can only imagine its got wiggly lines (i dont have TC in mine)

zedy1
10-12-2003, 09:31 AM
switch is located on the right just above the small glove compartment, the warnining light is in the dash itself

SGHOM
10-12-2003, 09:59 AM
TCL switch location.

Roadrunner
10-12-2003, 01:41 PM
As a post-facelift car, I doubt if it will have TCS.

Nick Mann
10-12-2003, 01:47 PM
I have a UK version of that car. Same interior, gearbox etc. Mine is a type S. I don't have traction control, but then I am not having traction problems anyway! The only time I seem to be able to spin the wheels is lots of gas in first gear with the steering wheel on full lock. And even then it has to be wet! I don't think TCL needs to be high on the priority list with the auto box.

Spirit
11-12-2003, 01:58 AM
I agree Nick, certainly wouldn't have paid for it as an option if I was buying a new VR4. Luckily mine came with it !

pjjohnson
11-12-2003, 10:37 AM
I am getting confused.

Mine is a post face lift type S with auto box. I was told by Ralliart when they were servicing it that it has traction control, but its not switchable and its works in conjunction with the AYC.

I have the original Jap Legnum brochure for the car I bought (1998) and in it the main difference between Type S and Type V is that Type S has got AYC, Type V doesn't. and the type V hasn't got the body kit and has single spoke wheels.

The thing thats really cheeseing me off and confusing me in equal measure is that something that I didn't think existed, does exist - ie post face lift cars with manual gearboxes and AYC. I want one.

Jamo
14-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Hello,

I thought the thing was this...if you don't have a traction control switch, traction control is always on INSERT INTO post VALUES (mine's like this...dec'99 post-facelift model with wheelarch extensions). You have it...and it's on. Earlier VR-4s....or certain ones, whatever...had the switch, meaning they could turn their traction control off INSERT INTO post VALUES (and back on again as they please); allowing them to have more 'fun' when the moment is apt. You know, like on Top Gear where they take a car round the track and it grips a lot, then Clarkson turns off the traction control and skids the car all over the show....usually with excess 'wahoooing'.

Maybe I'm wrong?

...Jamo

Spirit
14-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Here's a pic where you can just make out the switch at the bottom of the pic INSERT INTO post VALUES (marked TCL):

Mante
14-12-2003, 09:52 PM
My vr4 assuming its a Type S does not have TCS. I personally dont like fighting the car so ABS, AYC and TCS usually get in my way when behind the wheel of a car. anywayz I found out by comparing the ECU's of my running vr4 and the front clip I had imported. Its just labeled ayc, simple enough huh also smaller in size vs the auto version of the front clip.

zedy1
14-12-2003, 10:34 PM
I am getting confused.

Mine is a post face lift type S with auto box. I was told by Ralliart when they were servicing it that it has traction control, but its not switchable and its works in conjunction with the AYC.

I have the original Jap Legnum brochure for the car I bought (1998) and in it the main difference between Type S and Type V is that Type S has got AYC, Type V doesn't. and the type V hasn't got the body kit and has single spoke wheels.

The thing thats really cheeseing me off and confusing me in equal measure is that something that I didn't think existed, does exist - ie post face lift cars with manual gearboxes and AYC. I want one.

i have a manual vr4 and that has ayc but no tcl, personnally i think you have to have the switch to know it has tcl

Spirit
15-12-2003, 12:57 AM
I agree with you there Mo - as it was an option I guess they would give you the off facility as standard with it ?

-LegnumVR4-
15-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Guys the type v's have no AYC and they can be manual or auto, it's an option. The face lift models type s can be manual or auto it's whatever the buyer wanted.

zedy1
15-12-2003, 09:25 AM
never seen a vr4 without ayc, if thats what you were talking about rhys

-LegnumVR4-
15-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Get a type 'V' Galant or Legnum and jack up the rear and have a look at the rear diff, they are different plus u wont find an AYC pump on them.

I had a webpage that tells u the difference between the 2 models, just have to find it again.

BraindG
15-12-2003, 08:38 PM
so no-one has has ever seen a VR4 without AYC?! INSERT INTO post VALUES (jsut TC)

KiwiTT
15-12-2003, 08:45 PM
No AYC. Yes, I think I saw a Manual "Type V" with no AYC or TC. ??

Like you I thought all VR4's had at least AYC

-LegnumVR4-
16-12-2003, 06:00 AM
http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/pressrelease/e/products/detail646.html

Some info on the Galants and Legnums. It tells of the power lift in the face lift models and difference between the S and V.

nick-f1
16-08-2004, 10:34 AM
I am still confused with all of this! My legnum '98 pre-facelift manual vr4 has 16 inch wheels ,AYC , no TCL switch, non flared arches, lovely tan leather interior - wooden steering wheel........ so is it a type V or S? This is all as clear as mud to me. Does anyone have the DEFINITIVE explanation please?

exasperated

Nick :rolleyes5

Kieran
16-08-2004, 11:20 AM
*ALL* pre-facelifts are Type-S. That's simply because the Type-V was only introduced with the 1998 facelift, as a cheaper option.

My rule of thumb is AYC = Type-S - No AYC = Type-V

nick-f1
16-08-2004, 01:46 PM
*ALL* pre-facelifts are Type-S. That's simply because the Type-V was only introduced with the 1998 facelift, as a cheaper option.

My rule of thumb is AYC = Type-S - No AYC = Type-V

At last a straight forward explanation, Thanks for that Kieran - I thought that you would know with your vast knowledge of the marque :bow: :thumb1:

Cheers

Nick

Kieran
16-08-2004, 05:58 PM
At last a straight forward explanation, Thanks for that Kieran - I thought that you would know with your vast knowledge of the marque :bow: :thumb1:

Cheers

Nick

:thumbsup: You're welcome mate! :)

Wodjno
16-08-2004, 06:19 PM
:thumbsup: You're welcome mate! :)
I agree with Kieren .. But didn't the TypeV have 4wheel steering which was ditched by Mitsy cos of to much understeer. Then AYC was introduced (Type S) which delivers + or - 15% torque to the rear wheels to keep everything hunky doory ?

Brind
16-08-2004, 07:48 PM
I don't think they ever fitted all wheel steer on the 8th generation Galants at least not to officially sell anyhow.

Kieran
16-08-2004, 08:34 PM
I agree with Kieren .. But didn't the TypeV have 4wheel steering which was ditched by Mitsy cos of to much understeer. Then AYC was introduced (Type S) which delivers + or - 15% torque to the rear wheels to keep everything hunky doory ?

No. The 8G VR-4 was always fitted with AYC untill the introduction of the 1998 Type V.

4 wheel steering was used on the 6G and 7G Galants according to my literature, but never the 8G, which only has passive rear steering.

AYC doesn't actually affect the front/rear power bias as far as I'm aware. That's taken care of by a simple viscous-coupled differential on the centre propshaft, which is set to a 60/40 Rear bias. AYC just varies the torque going to the back wheels, I believe.

pjjohnson
17-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Ralliart told me it was 50/50 front rear split. How true it is I don't know.

Roadrunner
17-08-2004, 08:42 PM
The front/rear split is 50/50 when driving in a straight line with neutral input (i.e. no accelerating or braking). The centre diff is a simple torsen unit.

dickytim
18-08-2004, 07:15 AM
I have suspisions about tc on my manual, Some times it feels like it has it and other times it doesnt, It just might be me bogging it down i dunno

Kieran
18-08-2004, 07:48 AM
The front/rear split is 50/50 when driving in a straight line with neutral input (i.e. no accelerating or braking). The centre diff is a simple torsen unit.

Oh, it's 50/50 is it? Right - have to admit, 60/40 was a guesstimate! :$

chris g
18-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Not a response to whether Type V or S, and I usually do not get into technical stuff but AYC is about transfer of power when turning to avoid understeer

So it cannot be transfer from front to rear it must be transfer of power from side to side

As shown by the car in very wet conditions and occassionally torrential rain at the Ring last w/e

And it works a treat - no spins at all