PDA

View Full Version : Buying a FTO or GTO

Rambaud
01-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Original plan was/is to buy a VR-4 towards the end of the year, but g/f saw a FTO (I think) in yellow on Sunday when we were out and quite liked the look of it (though not the colour).

Are they viable every day car, or a bottomless pit for one's money?

Anybody got any comments or thoughts?

Funkstar
01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I've always loved the look of the GTO. And it was one of my choices before coming across the VR4.

Can't say I haven't looked back since, as I would still love to own one at some point.

I do also like the look of the FTO but feel it would be a step down. For me anyway.

pitslayer
01-05-2007, 07:56 PM
the FTO is a good car, it does look like a whale shark thow, and is the top spec is only 200bhp.....

i do know of a GTO going up for sale soon, if your interested, 91 not the twin turbo, but has a full nitrous kit on it, full leather interior etc etc etc if your interested

Kieran
01-05-2007, 08:09 PM
FTO for me is a pretty car that's crying out for more power. The MIVEC ones do sound great at full chat though.

GTOs.... The problem with the GTO is you see so many shagged ones. I think that would perhaps put me off a little, but I still do like them.

Axeboy
01-05-2007, 08:14 PM
As above.

FTO, nice car but just short on power. Cheap now though.

GTO, I like them, but completely been put off them by my mechanic who says the engine and box always poopaloop on them.

I really fancy a GTO MR though....

bradc
01-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I like FTO's and GTO's, but considering the price they go for over here, I wouldn't have either over a VR-4. A mivec FTO would be a nice second car though, with a VR-4 as the primary car.

pitslayer
01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
my uncle got one, which has been really well looked after never misses a beat, everything works, the only problem everyone finds with it, is the cannons on the back, forget back bean cans, were talking dustbins :lol: think he might be getting a new exhaust made for it.... but its lovely car, id have it over an FTO anyda

if you do buy an FTO get the GPX dont bother with the 1.8s etc, and FSH is the best to go for

Rambaud
02-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the input.

One of the things I like about the VR4 is the 4wd, which the FTO does not have.

Eurospec
02-05-2007, 09:03 AM
If you ask me the FTO is an infinately more useable car on a day to day basis. Its more reliable, simpler and you can nip about in them. They handle really well.

The mivecs sound amazing on full chat, but they also blow their bottom ends out with surprising regularity. The bottom end of the engines on both V6 models are the same, however, the GPX MIVEC's use two oil control solenoid valves to activate the mivec cams.

These valves open up allowing oil to flow to a set of 12 secondary hydraulic lifters, which push the car up onto the big cam lobes.

The issue being that oil pumps between GR (non mivec v6) and GPX and the entire bottom ends are the same. In the mivec cars, the mivec cams operate at 5500 rpm. To get the power out of them you have to rinse them. So you are ragging the car, foot to the ground, it hits 5500 rpm and the oil control valves open. Oil flows from the main galleries into the 'normally dry' lifter galleries and lifters in the heads. At that moment, when the car is on full load, the oil pressure drops.

I think this is why the mivecs blow the bottom end but the GR's dont. On average we see one mivec a week with a blown bottom end (Big end shells) but in the last 7 years we have only seen 4 GR's. 2 of those have been in the last month.

The 1.8GS 4 banger is a bit of a waste of time.

Very rare for any of them to make their claimed power output. Even a modded GPX will struggle to exceed 200BHP. Mostly they seem to make between 185 and 190, maybe a touch more.

The GR's are supposed to make 169 or 170, but more usually you get about 160 to 165.

GTO's are a different beast entirely. The NA i wouldnt go with, looks pretty, but certainly not fast, although more reliable than the TT.

The TT is a big mofo. Over 1.8 tonnes, 280 brake, 4wd, 4ws, abs, active aero, active electronically controlled suspension, electric flashing gizzmorators. All of it at minimum 8 years old, and on average more like 13. They are cheap as chips, get one for 2 grand on ebay, and a lot less in the trade. But its a £68,000 supercar, it has the bills and maintaince requirements that go with the terriorty. Many of them have been bought cheap and hammered and not maintained and as a result the are rougher than a badgers bum. Being a turbo car they get modded, but not always that well. You cant just up the boost like you can in lots of cars. The fuel system is smaller than a VR4's but the engine and turbos are both bigger!

The bottom ends go mostly from poor maintanace or too much det hammering down on it. The ringlands get blown off from overboosting on the baby fuel injectors, the transfer box is smaller than the one off a fiat panda (true!) and the output shafts strip or snap if the car is dragged. Doing doughnuts in it in halfords car park kills the viscous coupling and the transfer box.

But, when its all working it is a great car. A big cruiser, looks pretty if that is your thing, and in the traffic light grand prix, it is fast. And if you are prepared to put in the time and trouble you can make it really lary!:laugh:

Cheers,

Ben.

White Lightning
02-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Another top post there Ben ... :thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Good info there Ben (as usual).

Am i right in thinking the FTO V6's share the same block as the 6A13 NA unit?

Nutter_John
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Trust Ben to write a whole essay on the FTO / GTO , bet he thinks he knows a lot about them just cos he has a 10 sec gto :P

Was wondering how long until the expert answered all the questions :2thumbsup

Eurospec
02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Good info there Ben (as usual).

Am i right in thinking the FTO V6's share the same block as the 6A13 NA unit?

No mate, the FTO is the 6A12 in the v6's and the 4 banger is a 4G93. You can do a nice turbo conversion using a 4G93 Lancer 1.8 turbo GSR lump on them though!

Cheers,

Ben.

Eurospec
02-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Trust Ben to write a whole essay on the FTO / GTO , bet he thinks he knows a lot about them just cos he has a 10 sec gto :P

Was wondering how long until the expert answered all the questions :2thumbsup

/haz /thankyou

mate, we will have a ten sec fto soon, if i tow it with my car!:laugh:

Cheers,

Ben.

MPBVr4
02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
My other half has got a 3000GT (98). Had it for about 5 years. Apart from a new zorst which was horrendously expensive (genuine Mitsi) before I knew about
bespoke stainless ones. Been very reasonable to run even does more MPG
than the VR4 but then she's got a light foot.

pitslayer
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
FTO`s do have the tendency, of to put itbluntly ****ting there bottom ends....which is expensive, but a well looked after FSH will be the best to find, and have no problems with....ive got a mate with an FTO and the only thing mechanically wrong with it is a noisey tappets, need adjusting, and the exhaust fell to pieces, not had any issues with it apart from that, and thats a FSH history car

and the earlier GTO is the better of the GTO`s....as they got newer they got more expensive, and lost all the toys that were on the earlier ones and got imho ugly

zentac
02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I hate FTO's.....bane of my life

[Just bought my 4th one in 7 years]

Paul Beazer
02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
You love it you slaaaaaggg! :afro:

zentac
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
I think me and the black one have a love hate relationship....

Kieran
02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I think me and the black one have a love hate relationship....

Something Like this? /lol

Vrrrrrrroooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm.....

"God, I love this car!!!" :iloveyou:

POP BANG RATTLE RATTLE splutter fart.....

"GOD I HATE THIS FECKING CAR!!!!" /pan /Grrr

Paul Beazer
02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
That'll be the one that shat its engine on the track then?

Wodjno
03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
GTo's !!

They ain't got no Power :speechles

Especially that 1 at the recent RR day in Brum /pan

zentac
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
hmmmmm sounds about right

Wodjno
03-05-2007, 11:23 AM
hmmmmm sounds about right

Or those Girlie FTO's for that matter ;)

Eurospec
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
GTo's !!

They ain't got no Power :speechles

Especially that 1 at the recent RR day in Brum /pan

/haz no balls that thing! :pimp2:

Cheers,

Ben.

ralliart-type-s
03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I like both FTO and GTO but neither would be a vr4 replacement for me, only cos I like estae cars. Fto's can be nice but most end up hairdressery. GTO's are the ultimate medallion mans car and have been thrashed 2nd cars owned by taxi drivers! These are only my opinions and in no way reflect the outlook of most sane and rationally minded folk!

zentac
03-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Or those Girlie FTO's for that matter ;)

Whos at the top of the 1/4 mile board?

Wodjno
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
/haz no balls that thing! :pimp2:

Cheers,

Ben.

Power Curve /pan

More like that film from 1990 film with Keifer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, Julia Roberts and William Baldwin :speechles

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kieran
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Whos at the top of the 1/4 mile board?

That's because there's a MAN's engine in there now! :scholar:

Wodjno
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM
That's because there's a MAN's engine in there now! :scholar:

You mean a "REAL" mans engine /yes

Out of a Pre-Facelift VR4 :pimp2:

Kieran
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
You mean a "REAL" mans engine /yes