PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new GLS owner in Warks UK

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi, thought I'd pop in as we are the proud new owners of a 2000W 35000 from new 2 owner Galant GLS estate in maroon mettalic (With moonroof) and apparently the worlds smallest alloy wheels!

questions about virbrating brakes (front) lowering and wheel upgrades to come soon!

looks like a great group you have going here, hope theres room for another slow one!

What a car though, like a big battle cruiser on the open road too and from Ipswitch the other day. so smooth and refined. much pleased

TAR
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 to the club.

Lots of room for all. I'm sure your enjoyment of the forum will be as great as ownership of your car.

Please ask if you need help or advice, there are many experts about who will be only too pleased to help.:happy:

Lillywotsername
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
/Welcome Good to hear you are enjoying your new car.

Any questions, feel free to ask...... Give the search button a try as well as alot of your queries may already be answered.

Nevman
03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the club of proud owners :happy: . I am sure you'll enjoy your new car.

Brunty
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the club.

Bang on wrt the wheels - there's something just not 'right' about the wheels and wheel arches on the standard Galants, whatever variant!

Nick Mann
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
It's a long read, but there is a Sticky thread in the brakes section about warped discs.

Suspension - try searching this site for bilstein or eibach - I think that was what the non VR4 crew tend to recommend for shocks/springs.

Alloys - whatever floats your boat! Remember most halfrauds deals offer the wrong rolling circumference if you get a package from them. on 17's you want to be looking at 215 or 225 with a 45 profile, they will offer a 40 profile.

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, wasn't expecting a response to the thinly veiled questions, but thanks I'll read the stickys, I know how much of a PITA it is answering the same questions time after time from Noobs like myself so thanks for the pointers!

Nick VR4
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 to the forum

Nick Mann
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Heh! Pointers are no problem. How would you have known to search for eibach or billies?

We are normally a friendly bunch, but you are right - we are more friendly if the questions haven't been asked a million times before! It's always worth trying a search first.

Either way round, feel free to ask questions! And there is a good chance you are close to someone, possibly me depending on which part of warks you are in. So face to face advice may be possible too!

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Heres a question, I'm being fully dumb today, but I cannot seem to access the stick bits regarding brakes in the tech section. Is this reserved for VR4 club members (as opposed to forum lurkers like me currently) or am I looking in the wrong bit?

Cheers, sorry if this has also been asked before. I did do a search on brakes honest :)

Lillywotsername
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18491 Give this one a try

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks Lilly, That was where I was looking. This is what I get when clicking on the how to change disks and pads link (brembos a bit out of the budget for the moment)

gls-wagon, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log

TIA

Lillywotsername
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh right sorry then ..... must be in Members section. You may be worth paying the £20 and becoming a full member. This will give you full access to all the info on this site. It is well worth it in the long run as not only do you get all the info, you will also get discounts on certain products, eg Amsoil.

Give it some thought.

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 04:17 PM
thought it might be thanks

Kieran
03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Welcome to ClubVR-4! /Welcome

You've already seen the members section, full of useful information - worth the joinup fee just for the oil discounts!:afro:

The GLS is a great car, I fondly remember mine, it was an automatic saloon.... Cracking car.:iloveyou:

Yes, as for suspension, go for Bilsteins and Eibach springs. Careful with wheel choice.... I would say (for the UK cars) that 16s are fine, but the experience of 17s on my V6 (bought after my GLS) wasn't great.... They would only be 45 profile and (In my humble opinion) the extra grip is outweighed by the 'skitty' feel - particularly on standard springs... Although when I lowered my V6 (H&R springs and Bilsteins) it was considerably better.

Anyway - TONS of info about if you search, but don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck - we're here to help!:happy:

Rambaud
03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the Club. /Welcome2

I tend to agree with Kieran - for a road car 16" wheels and 205 tyres are the maximum I would go to. I have 15" wheels with 195 tyres and they look a bit "diddly". :(

Also, I find shortened springs may make the car look better, but at the expense of sacrificing a lot of comfort - firmer dampers is my preferred option.

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
:happy: it is super floaty at the moment with a great ride quality thats for sure. We were looking at 18" Rota Slipstreams from Rare Rims with Falkens. Sounds like a no go eh?

OK I've joined now, just waiting the OK on the members section to come through:happy:

It must be Mitubishis with the brakes as I had an FTO a couple of years ago which had a similar wobbly affliction:speechles

BraindG
03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
OK I've joined now, just waiting the OK on the members section to come through:happy:
Hi,

I see your application, however it looks like the paypal payment didnt go through, were you directed to Payment selection screen, and then the paypal site after submitting your details ?

Thanks
Barry

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
yep I have a receipt from paypal for payment to pete shall I PM you the details?

BraindG
03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
yep I have a receipt from paypal for payment to pete shall I PM you the details?
Odd, after filling in your details, it should ask you to select payment option, here on forums.. then once selected you go to paypal, pay.. and you are redirected back to the club as a fully paid up member..

Unfortunatly my Harddrives failed on my main machine so i cannot check the paypal side of things atm, so.. best wait till Pete arrives.

Sorry for inconvenience.. hopefully I can track down what went wrong here.

Did you receive any errors at any point?

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Think I did all that, Chose paypal etc. even clicked on return to merchant (this is often important I believe)

no errors I spotted.

BraindG
03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
oh, it seems you used an echeck? - just spotted status is Pending.

Alex
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello, and Welcome to CVR4. Hope you find the club useful :)

g6acb
03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
/Welcome another 'slow' one in the ranks :pimp2:

There are a few of us here that know all about 'wobbly gls brake syndrome' :scholar:

As for the 14" wheels, yes they do look a bit lost in the arches but they weigh a lot less than the 17" Sport alloys and are bomb proof - unlike my cheese wheels:thinking:

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome all. e-cheque? I've had this a couple of times now not sure why, it used to come straight from the account....dunno??

stuartturbo
03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Pah you and your slow Galant tarnishing the club. Wait thats the other internet forums /lol
Welcome to the club

Spirit
03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi and welcome to the club mate.

Unfortunately you have fallen into the same trap as me with paypal. Mine used to come straight from my account, instantly, now they seem to process it as an e-cheque which takes 7-10 days to clear at the receivers end......even though it will still come out of your account in 3 or 4 days as before. I have now deleted the option to pay this way and gone back to using a debit/credit card which is still an instant payment.

The expected clearing date on your payment is the 15th May !

gls-wagon
03-05-2007, 07:44 PM
So how do you remove that option without destroying the ability to withdraw funds from paypal?

I know the GLS is a little leisurely on acceleration, it is a minter though ;)

(and I do have an S2000 for my daily!)
^^^^^^^^^
Dont hate me now! :lol:

Spirit
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Add your debit/credit card as an alternative funding option and then delete the bank one.

ralliart-type-s
06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi, thought I'd pop in as we are the proud new owners of a 2000W 35000 from new 2 owner Galant GLS estate in maroon mettalic (With moonroof) and apparently the worlds smallest alloy wheels!

questions about virbrating brakes (front) lowering and wheel upgrades to come soon!

looks like a great group you have going here, hope theres room for another slow one!

What a car though, like a big battle cruiser on the open road too and from Ipswitch the other day. so smooth and refined. much pleased

Welcome to the club, I'm fairly new myself and have found all the members on here to be very friendly and most helpful. As liily says, the search function is great and should answer most questions you have, but dont hesitate in asking if you aint sure of something. I have a set of 18" wheels going cheap for you, if you interested, pm me.

Nick Mann
06-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I have a set of 18" wheels going cheap for you, if you interested, pm me.
Don't forget that the VR4 and GLS have a different number of studs!

gls-wagon
06-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm assuming yours are 5 stud wheels then?

went for a trip to Ikea in wendsbury today, bought a big desk and some cabinets. no problem in the Galant. Silky smooth there and back as well, awesome motor.

amsoil
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the most friendly and helpful car club on the net!

gls-wagon
15-05-2007, 06:58 PM
so did my payment finally clear from paypal pls?

gls-wagon
17-05-2007, 11:20 AM
thanks for sorting this for me