PDA

View Full Version : gear shift knob

Roadrunner
06-05-2003, 10:59 AM
my auto shifter has been modified for quicker response and shorter throws

What did you do and what's the resultant effect?

INSERT INTO post VALUES (That's some list of mods, btw :cool: )

-LegnumVR4-
06-05-2003, 08:32 PM
I removed the standard lever with the button and the plastic bit with the PRND, i then replace them with a manual shift boot and MOMO manual shift knob. I changed the wiring over so u pull back to go up the gears and push forward to go down, more natural movement because when u are getting forced back in the seat ur natural movement is to pull back, when slowing down u want to push forward. Worked for BMW and Audi:)

I also shorten the distance u have to push/pull the lever INSERT INTO post VALUES (about 3mm of movement) which gives u quicker response time. I have photos here, just have to load them up.

Want anymore info just say.

Brind
06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm interested in how you managed to replace the existing gear shift knob on the Auto.

I have the Sports trim, with carbon fibre dash, Recaro seats and MOMO steering wheel etc but the gear lever looks ****e, okay it has a chrome bottom but it doesn't have the racing look.
I'd like to replace it with a standard short carbon fibre look MOMO gear knob but unsure if the button on top of the existing knob would pose a problem?
I guess I could permanently ingage the button some how??

I like these:

Brind
06-05-2003, 09:01 PM
2nd pic

Brind
06-05-2003, 09:02 PM
This looks good too, can't be too difficult this one!

-LegnumVR4-
07-05-2003, 07:24 AM
I used the MOMO F-16 Combat just like the first photo but it is the leather model. The knob it's self becomes the button, u press the whole knob down when u want to select a gear. I managed to connect the knob to the button shaft by drilling 2 holes through the gear knob INSERT INTO post VALUES (the MOMO knob i used allowed me to take the upper part off the knob so i could drill these holes where they wont be seen) and sliding some pins the same dia as the drilled holes. This holds the knob in place.

There is a lot to explain the complete install.... rewiring the switches INSERT INTO post VALUES (not much to do); packing the switches, packing the shift gate to suit. U also have to cut up your old lever/knob or if u can find parts that work then use them.

I can write something up for Barry like i did for the intake install if people are keen.

Also... how do i load up images from my computer? I have a photo of the knob installed but don't know how to upload it:headsc:

BraindG
07-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by -LegnumVR4-

I can write something up for Barry like i did for the intake install if people are keen.

Yes please Rhys :D

Also... how do i load up images from my computer? I have a photo of the knob installed but don't know how to upload it:headsc:

Once your in either posting or editing your post, you should see an option at the bottom INSERT INTO post VALUES (before submit) called

Attach file: with a browse function to the right.. thats the baby.. :D

-LegnumVR4-
07-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Ok here it is.

Brind
07-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Excellent!
I like the second gear knob personally, which part came apart?
picture shows what I mean:

Did the original knob twist off?

What is that, looks like a blue ring under the momo logo? is it part of the original shaft or is it a bracing piece of some sort?

Cheers mate.

-LegnumVR4-
07-05-2003, 08:23 PM
That blue ring is just the light catching the that part of the knob. The black leather bit at the top unscrews from the inside and pulls off. The whole knob it's self moves up and down to act like the button.

Brind
07-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Did the original knob just twist off?
Thanks for the info.:)

Petrolhead
07-05-2003, 09:37 PM
I would REALLY like to know how to change the gear change from forward up to back - up. Please help.

Dave.

Pescha
08-05-2003, 05:45 AM
Well what can I say, talking about gear knobs could get a girl all flustard!! :eek: :devil1:

Anyway I dont own a manual so I can have a fancy knob :Cry1:

But I like them all!! INSERT INTO post VALUES (gear knobs that is)

Hey am I the only woman here who owns her own VR4 legnum/galant?

Cheers
Pescha!

Pescha
08-05-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Pescha

Anyway I dont own a manual so I can have a fancy knob :Cry1:

Opps that was suppose to say can't not can INSERT INTO post VALUES (see I DID get all flustard lol

Pescha! INSERT INTO post VALUES (oops)

-LegnumVR4-
08-05-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info.

Brind: The knob doesn't twist off so don't try it:)
Go here to find out how to remove the lever.
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/index.html

I would REALLY like to know how to change the gear change from forward up to back - up. Please help.

Petrolhead: I'll get back to u on that.

Pescha: Easy girl:)

Brind
08-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Cheers LegnumVR4, must admit I gave it a little twist to see if it would, but it didn't move.:)

LOL @ Pescha!
We are talking about the Automatic gearbox, LegnumVR4 has just made his look like a manual.:)
So you too can have a knob.;)

Pescha
08-05-2003, 08:59 PM
YES! YES! YES!

hehe, thank you Brind!

Cheers,
Pescha!:boing3:

-LegnumVR4-
09-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Petrolhead

Dave.
I just had to check my wiring, been awhile:)

Take off the passager side panel beside the gear shifter, once this is taken off u can see the 2 microswitches on the gear selector, there are 2 wires for each switch. The 2 wires u have to switch over are the ones that go to the middle pin of the microswtiches INSERT INTO post VALUES (there are 3 pins on each switch, bottom and middle ones are used, the top one isn't). U can just cut the wires and swap them over and connect one up to the other, use shrink wrap if u have it to cover the cut wires or electric tape.

Need anymore help just ask.

haydar
19-05-2003, 02:52 AM

Take off the passager side panel beside the gear shifter, once this is taken off u can see the 2 microswitches on the gear selector, there are 2 wires for each switch. The 2 wires u have to switch over are the ones that go to the middle pin of the microswtiches INSERT INTO post VALUES (there are 3 pins on each switch, bottom and middle ones are used, the top one isn't). U can just cut the wires and swap them over and connect one up to the other, use shrink wrap if u have it to cover the cut wires or electric tape.

I really want to do this!!!

Any chance of posting a few pictures to help guide me.

haydar
19-05-2003, 02:59 AM
I used the MOMO F-16 Combat just like the first photo but it is the leather model. The knob it's self becomes the button, u press the whole knob down when u want to select a gear. I managed to connect the knob to the button shaft by drilling 2 holes through the gear knob INSERT INTO post VALUES (the MOMO knob i used allowed me to take the upper part off the knob so i could drill these holes where they wont be seen) and sliding some pins the same dia as the drilled holes. This holds the knob in place.

There is a lot to explain the complete install.... rewiring the switches INSERT INTO post VALUES (not much to do); packing the switches, packing the shift gate to suit. U also have to cut up your old lever/knob or if u can find parts that work then use them.

:headsc:

Yes please. I think the manual look for the gear lever is brilliant.

Ultra VR-4
19-05-2003, 03:36 AM
I wish I knew what you were talking about Legnum so I could change my gear knob!:Cry1:
But I know if I try to take my car apart, its not going to go back together... any chance of you comin up to aucks... lol:D

Petrolhead
19-05-2003, 08:38 AM

WooHoo!, guess what I'm doing today, lol.

Thanks matey :D

-LegnumVR4-
19-05-2003, 09:43 AM
To write up an install for the gear knob will take some time as I'm pretty busy. I've only done this mod with the MOMO F-16 Combat gear knob, the leather black cap that is connected to the shiny body is held on by a screw. By removing the screw i could take the leather cap off and then slide the orignal levers button shaft through that hole which allows the shaft to be connected to the knob. I then had to bore 2 holes through the knob and the button shaft and slide 2 pins in these holes to lock it. This install should work for any gear knob you choose but it needs to have a hole so the button shaft can be connected.

It's a bit of work but i just had a bit of a brain storm to refine the install INSERT INTO post VALUES (thats if my idea works).

I'll try and borrow the auto shifter from a mate and see if i can make up a step by step install with photos.

Oh yah, i'll get a video shot of the lever in action on my car, it will give you an idea what you'll get. :cool1:

Plus if u guys want to shout me a flight over to the UK to help with these mods i've done... by all means do, need a hoilday:D

haydar
19-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Petrolhead
WooHoo!, guess what I'm doing today, lol.

Thanks matey :D

I'm having a look too.

First thing, the wires going to the forward INSERT INTO post VALUES (upper) switch has a white wire in the middle position and a red wire lower position. The backward switch has a yellowish wire in the middle position and a red wire in the lower position.

The switches are connected to a silvery plate that is positioned on either side of the gear lever when in tiptronic mode.

The wiring loam seams a little tight though and I'm just wondering how easy it would be to do the swap.

It seems the best thing to do is unscrew the silver plate on which the switches are mounted so that it's easier to get at the lower switch wires.
Next to add some extra length of wire so the lower wire can reach the upper switch.

Can anyone confirm this.

jaysback
19-05-2003, 11:52 AM
i would say your best bet would be to extend the wires.
just get some crimps.
make shure there is no where it can short and jobs a good'en

Petrolhead
19-05-2003, 03:26 PM
Job done!!!, thanks Legnum!!

Ok, here's what I did ...

As per Legnums instructions, I first removed the passenger side panel INSERT INTO post VALUES (right-hand drive car)

First picture shows side panel, and reference to the top plastic gearknob cover.
http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_cover.jpg

Second picture shows location of the panel retaing screw INSERT INTO post VALUES (on the right, with a small plastic cap over it, and the nasty push-clip, which is on the left.
http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_clip.jpg

Picture three shows the other retaining screw which hides at the top of the glove-box, which you'll need to open to get access to.
http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_glove.jpg

Picture four shows the internals with the side panel off. You can just about see the micro-switches which we are going to alter.
http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_paneloff.jpg

Instead of fiddling about with little room, I decided to take off the centre armrest consul thingy. The plastic bit round the gearknob just clips off INSERT INTO post VALUES (picture one) and there's two retaining screws under that. The dookets just clip out, and there's a retaining screw under the front one. There are two more screws on the back lower sides of the armrest box.

There are two micro-switches at the base of the gearstick. You will need to swap a couple of the wires between the two switches. If you put your keys in the ignition and play about with the stick you'll see how it works. INSERT INTO post VALUES (make sure the engine is off of course) ;)

http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_microswitch.jpg

I located the switches but decided there was not really enough free-play on the wires to do a good job. If you unplug the big white connector at the back, then remove it from the car body, there is lots more space to play with.

You now want to remove the metal plate that the micro-swirches are attached to. There's just a couple of screws holding it in at the bottom.

http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_microscrews.jpg

Rather than cutting and extending wires, I just got my trusty solder iron out and swapped the wee buggers over that way. Looks more "professional" and will provide a much better connection. I used a set of Mole-gripsINSERT INTO post VALUES (Vice-grips) to hold it on to the handbrake bracket while I soldered.

You basically want to swap the middle wires about on the micro-switches. On my car they were yellow and white. Don't touch the red wires.

http://carartz.phpwebhosting.com/other/vr/gear_solder.jpg

Just need to be carefull not to overheat the microswitches as I don't imagine they will be cheap to replace if damaged. I didn't have to add any more solder. As soon as the original solder melts, pull the wire off and allow to cool. When adding the new wires there should be enough solder left on the wire and the connector.

I had already invested in a gas soldering iron. No nasty wires to get snagged on and heats up much faster. Also, don't be put off if you've never soldered before, it's really not that difficult.

Whole job can be done in under an hour.

Result is superb. Went for a wee test run and it just feels soooo much more natural. When you brake for a corner your body is pushed forwards, so it makes sense for the down-shift to be forwards.

Thanks again.

P.S. and I may regret this, but if anyone wants me to do it for them at JAE then I'd be honoured :D

Dave.

BraindG
19-05-2003, 05:29 PM
may I add to articles section?

Petrolhead
19-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Good idea, should we re-do the explanation do you think? coz I was follwing Legnums instructions but posted my own version of the mod.

D.

haydar
19-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Dave

Thanks for the offer but just couldn't wait that long! Had a go and completed the job within the hour. Thanks for the pictures!

Haydar

BraindG
19-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Article up (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/info/articles/showarticle.php?id=42) :D

-LegnumVR4-
19-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Well thats saves me sometime, nice work Petrolhead:)

A couple of other things i did to smooth things out with the shifter was to remove the ball bearing that moves in an out of the little groove in the part that hits the microswitches. The lever spring that holds the parts that hits the mirco switches is strong enough to centre the lever after u let go. Can try if u like, feels smoother again.

Photo 6 INSERT INTO post VALUES (down six photos) Shows the shaft where the ball bearing is, just above the micro switches.

Brind
19-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Great pictures Petrolhead!
I may do this aswell.

Ultra VR-4
19-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Now does anybody wanna come to Auckland NZ and change the shift lever for me? please....

tribal
29-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Does everyone here have the tip-tronic shifting, or is there automatic as well. I would assume that the automatics would be somewhat similar to our US version, and if you'd like to change your knob to aftermarket, I have the tutorial for it, and you can just look at it and see if it could pertain to your cars as well. Let me know

prvoke
06-12-2006, 09:34 PM
this is an old thread i know but if any one had pics that would be great. The links are dead now, thanks

Rosco_NZ
07-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Yeah totally agree i been wanting to convert the forward back thing since i got the car.
would love some pictures...

BraindG
07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
this is an old thread i know but if any one had pics that would be great. The links are dead now, thanks
I Don't have them anymore, I did have a backup of the site from back then, but thats long gone, and I havn't see Dave on here in a long time. So im afraid they are gone forever.

ristor
23-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

Brind: The knob doesn't twist off so don't try it:)
Go here to find out how to remove the lever.
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/index.html

This very interesting link contains a subject -> Removing the Tiptronic Gear Lever - 830kb PDF File BUT that does not work anymore. Any other manual how to do it the easiest way?