PDA

View Full Version : my auto trans is gone

tesna
05-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I got problem with my 2000 V6-24 Galant.

When I WOT accelerating in the tollway, then at around 160-180kph, suddenly the transmission seems goes back to neutral. Altough I saw the gear selector still the "D" mode. Then I stopped in emergency lane, and tried to stop and restart the engine. But still, no response, I tried L, 2, 3, D, R, all of them doesn't respond!! now my car can't move at all.

I always change the atf fluid regularly, the fluit levels were fine. What's causing this? Tried to do ECU reset, nothing, tried to plug OBD-2 diagnostics thingy, nothing comes up, all parameters seems ok. the sensors are working fine according to the workshop. Currently the gearbox still being dissassembled, and the workshop still have no idea about it.

Maybe this is an excuse to do manual conversion :(

Nick Mann
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
What happened exactly?

1. The engine will run but the car doesn't select gear?
2. Does the dashboard say the car is in gear?
3. Is the N light flashing at all?
4. When in D and revving, does the speedo move?

tesna
06-05-2007, 05:49 PM
What happened exactly?

1. The engine will run but the car doesn't select gear?
2. Does the dashboard say the car is in gear?
3. Is the N light flashing at all?
4. When in D and revving, does the speedo move?

1. yes
2. yes
3. no flashing
4. no

bradc
06-05-2007, 09:25 PM
to me it sounds as if the individual gears in the box are fine, it might be the torque converter splines, or the output shaft that has snapped.

Nick Mann
06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
If it was the output shaft, the speedo would most likely still work and the gears would change up as the car thought it was accelerating.

I would guess more likely the torque convertor.

bradc
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Well thats what happened with your car, but his is 2wd, so I thought I would mention that as well. I agree it is most likely the torque converter though :)

tesna
08-05-2007, 06:28 PM
yup, its confirmed. Its the torque converter, I got quoted for about $1200 USD to fix that. Damn, I also got quoted about similar price ($1500) to fully convert to manual transmission. What do you think guys?

KHK
08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
sell this one buy a turbo one/Devil5

bradc
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
for $300 extra, go with the manual. You will save that much in transmission flushes and increased fuel economy in the first year, and you won't have silly things like this happen.

Kieran
08-05-2007, 10:16 PM
There's also another point. The V6-24 auto box is known for stripping it's splines, leaving you with no drive... Now the fix is to replace the torque convertor, however the input shaft may also be damaged.... Have a read of this, it's from a transmission parts supplier in the UK....

We also remanufacture torque converters here, and see a lot of the V6 Galant with the F/W4A42 when the input shaft splines in the converter fail. (We replace with a hardened splined turbine hub, and recommend replacing the shaft as well, as the splines on that go slightly undersize and cause the same problem again very quickly) among many other Mitsubishis.

tesna
09-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok, now I'm sure bout my decision. Go convert to manual! thanks for the input guys :) Less things to worry. Altough I'm also offered 5speed triptronic box that comes from 6A13TT, complete with TCU and they say guaranteed to work with normal 6A13 N/A engine, for about 1000USD. Is the triptronic box from 6A13TT stronger than V6-24 autobox? How about the gear ratio? will it going to be fine?

@KHK, yea I wish I could do that, but the price of VR4 in here about twice as much than ordinary V6-24 galant. And it's really hard to find original VR4 in here.

bradc
09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
tesna, thats not a bad solution, still less reliable than the manual though. is your car a 4wd or 2wd?

Gly
09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
its stronger,
will have longer gears,
it it will be 4wd, so no good if you have a fwd...

go manual

tesna
09-05-2007, 09:22 AM
mine is fwd, but they said the gearbox already converted to fwd. Not sure how exactly how they do it though. But it's currently installed on one of his car, FWD galant with 6A13TT engine.

Gly
09-05-2007, 09:46 AM
id still rather have a manual car.

KHK
09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
as long as u have a licensed importer to help u complete the import documents and u know how much tax to pay, i believe there is advantage to import a VR4

if u can pay 1500USD for a manual conversion job, i think with 2times more u can get a decent vr4 that worth much more.

tesna
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
as long as u have a licensed importer to help u complete the import documents and u know how much tax to pay, i believe there is advantage to import a VR4

if u can pay 1500USD for a manual conversion job, i think with 2times more u can get a decent vr4 that worth much more.

the problem is the tax, its so expensive. I think its about 100-150%. For example, my galant still worth about 10,000 usd, and the vr4 one about more than 20,000 usd. Few people I know prefer to do engine swap, some of them also install 4wd conversion, rather than importing an vr4.

KHK
09-05-2007, 01:04 PM
how about parts for modification? what is tax rate for parts import?

Singapore also has very high tax rate on car, well on your side 100% may be bit expensive,

tesna
17-05-2007, 12:13 PM
i'm not sure on that, but for spareparts the taxrate isn't that high. About 10-20% max.

Btw, anyone got info do I need to change the driveshafts if I do conversion from automatic transmission to manual? and which cable(s) do I need to connect to manipulate the ECU it's on Neutral so I can start the engine?

So far I've found the gearbox, cables, gear lever/selector, master/slave clutch cylinder, brake & clutch pedal, engine mounting on top of gearbox. What else do I need? did I miss something?

bradc
17-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I didn't need to change the driveshafts, but then I have a 4wd VR-4, so there may be some difference there. Sounds like you've got everything else though.

tesna
25-05-2007, 07:27 AM
I have good news and bad news. The good news is, my car is back on the road. Bad news, I decided to replace the torque converter, cancelling the plan to convert to manual. If I want to use manual, maybe I'll sell this one and buy the manual.