PDA

View Full Version : A bit of crumpet....

SGHOM
09-05-2007, 03:56 PM
fancy a bit ?? :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Last week Maggie went to her 'local ethnic shop' in watford, & bought a packet of warburtons crumpets.
She opened them at my place at the weekend to find what looked like a small bite had been taken from a couple of them !! :thinking:
A closer inspection by me found the ' bites' were not human, but probably RAT or MICE !!!! /Grrr /Grrr
not only that...... the packaging had been very carefully sealed with selotape !! /Grrr & then sold on as if nothing was wrong !!

someone is going to get their ass kicked for this. /pan /pan

where's the best place to start the witch hunt ? CAB, solicitor, trading standards ????

Brunty
09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
When did mice work out how to cover their tracks with sellotape???? :sombrero:

where's the best place to start the witch hunt ? CAB, solicitor, trading standards ????

Speak (actually writing might be better) to the shop first and if they can't supply you with a replacement crumpet FOC - then escalate it to CAB/Trading Standards and finally the redtops.

If that fails take some big Steel City boys down there to teach them a lesson in customer care!

Nick VR4
09-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Shops tend not to do a lot but give you a replacement pack

Send back to Warburtons head office or phone them up and ask what thay want you to do

I did this a few years back with a packed of Icelend veg had dead Blue Bottle fly in it and got £30 vouchers sent back to me :D

Found this

Customer Care Manager
WARBURTONS CUSTOMER CARE DEPARTMENT
Freephone: 0800 243684

Customer Care
Warburtons Limited
Hereford House
Hereford Street
Bolton
BL1 8JB

ralliart-type-s
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
When did mice work out how to cover their tracks with sellotape???? :sombrero:

Speak (actually writing might be better) to the shop first and if they can't supply you with a replacement crumpet FOC - then escalate it to CAB/Trading Standards and finally the redtops.

If that fails take some big Steel City boys down there to teach them a lesson in customer care!

DONT prewarn them, gives them a chance to clear the place. Get on tooffice of fair trading, they in turn will send out the big boys, shop will be shut as vermin carry life threatening disease, esp if tracks been covered and itm sold on!!

ralliart-type-s
09-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Shops tend not to do a lot but give you a replacement pack

Send back to Warburtons head office or phone them up and ask what thay want you to do

I did this a few years back with a packed of Icelend veg had dead Blue Bottle fly in it and got £30 vouchers sent back to me :D

Found this

Customer Care Manager
WARBURTONS CUSTOMER CARE DEPARTMENT
Freephone: 0800 243684

Customer Care
Warburtons Limited
Hereford House
Hereford Street
Bolton
BL1 8JB

All warburtons will do is stop supplying produce to said shop as the resealing is not down to them. The "ethnics" dont give a f*ck if it kills someone and so should be stopped from trading.

Nick VR4
09-05-2007, 05:48 PM
All warburtons will do is stop supplying produce to said shop as the resealing is not down to them. The "ethnics" dont give a f*ck if it kills someone and so should be stopped from trading.

And how do you know it was at the shop and not at Warburtons ??????

Nick Mann
09-05-2007, 09:25 PM
The "ethnics" dont give a f*ck if it kills someone and so should be stopped from trading.

Go easy with statements like this. I consider them racist, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. It doesn't matter if the person who has done this has blue skin, the problem is what has happened. Maybe you didn't mean it in a racist way, or it has come accross in a way you didn't intend. Please consider your words when posting, as stuff like this is easy to take the wrong way!

Derek - I would contact CAB first - they usually give sound advice. But I would be tempted with Warburtons AND trading standards. Then maybe a local paper? I do agree with the the sentiment that they need to get into trouble for this.

Kieran
09-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Go easy with statements like this. I consider them racist, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. It doesn't matter if the person who has done this has blue skin, the problem is what has happened. Maybe you didn't mean it in a racist way, or it has come accross in a way you didn't intend. Please consider your words when posting, as stuff like this is easy to take the wrong way!

Quite - I was thinking of a reply along similar lines when I saw Nick had beaten me to it.... Let's all be careful out there!:scholar:

Lillywotsername
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I once bought a jar of Pataks curry sauce ( for those who have tried my curries.... it was an emergency measure and no longer done) which just didn't taste right when i used it, like it was tainted in someway. Anyway, I complained to the manufacturer and they not only refunded me £10 for lamb ( I blagged it and said that i used lamb rather than £3.00 worth of chicken) an other £10 in compensation and a hamper full of Pataks products, retail value approx £20.

Ok rambling over... the point I am trying to make is, it might be worth complaining to the manufacturer rather than the local shop as they are in a better position to compensate you correctly. I would then suggest going to the local health and safety unit and to trading standards regarding the shop. They will be able to investigate the issue further as it is obvious that they have a vermin problem.

You don't want someone to become ill due to poor hygiene from the shop now, do you!!!!

Beastlee
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Whilst I know that a big company like Warburtons isn't perfect I really would like to point out that a small retail shop would more likely be the culprit here. a company such as Warburtons wouldn't spend time trying to secretly re-seal packets they would use that time finding the problem and fixing it before they got shut down. At the same time they wouldn't have the stock out of boxes long enough to notice the situation and probably wouldn't even have them on stock long enough for something to happen like this before shipping them out.

I can definitely smell a rat /pan (Cheesy I know /pan /pan /pan)with the retailer in this matter. I would definitely go to both Warburtons to make them aware and the local Trading Standards office who will send a health inspector round double Gloucester, I mean quick /pan.

SGHOM
11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I got it wrong... sorry. /Grrr twas sunblest, not warburtons. /pan

enviromental health are now on the case. They've visited the shop [ without being known ] & are now following the trail back to the supplier.

Nick Mann
11-05-2007, 03:45 PM
/pan

I suppose senile dementure is common in old grey-heads! :P

Lillywotsername
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Well I have a similar dilemma.

I went into an Asian store this afternoon to pick up some Garam marsala. Looked at the shelves, they had 4 small bags and 3 medium bags. great I thought, just what i need....... Until, that is, I checked out the best before dates.....

The little bags went out of date in January and the medium bags in march....OOOOPPPPS

Well as you can imagine, I didn't buy them but it made me think, what if some of their customers cant read English?

They could be buying stuff that is 5 months out of date nearly...

Do I report them to T/S or do I just not go in again and say nothing?????

I dunno.... Think I am going to have to give it some thought.

snickells
14-05-2007, 03:39 AM
Just don't go back again. They obviously have no sense of stock control.

caishanvr4
14-05-2007, 11:40 AM
[quote=Nick Mann]Go easy with statements like this. I consider them racist, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. It doesn't matter if the person who has done this has blue skin, the problem is what has happened. Maybe you didn't mean it in a racist way, or it has come accross in a way you didn't intend. Please consider your words when posting, as stuff like this is easy to take the wrong way!

My eyebrows raised and my hairs stood to attention too :| not that im sensitive but its comes across as nick said. Maybe if the race was left out then that statement wouldn't have come across so ignorant. Let the enviromental people find the culprit and not us!!

Lillywotsername
14-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Just don't go back again. They obviously have no sense of stock control.
Oh I won't... My concern is that if any of their customers are unable to read english, the shop itself is in a predominantly Asian area of Stoke, is some one going to be ill due to buying out- of- date stock.

WildCards
14-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh I won't... My concern is that if any of their customers are unable to read english, the shop itself is in a predominantly Asian area of Stoke, is some one going to be ill due to buying out- of- date stock.

Members of the British population not being able to read engrish :shocked:

amsoil
14-05-2007, 05:44 PM

Now this is one for the Local trading standards. Just give them a call. Its wrong that out of date goods are sold (which is why they have a date!). Any shop that doesn't build in a 'waste' factor and doesn't rotate and check stock is not only making an unfair profit at the risk to the customers health but should be, after warnings fines etc closed down. I object to having weevles in my flour or buying mint flavoured nesquick (remember that one) which I found to be stale which wasn't too suprising as it was 7 years old! I also really object to sittng on the throne at 3am in the morning throwing up into the not near enough sink, and then taking a fortnight to finally recover from the experience. This applies to out of date stck IMHO.
Finding rodent damaged goods and then patching the packet and selling it I would consider criminal! Give them both barrels.

Lillywotsername
14-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Sounds like good advice Don.... Will more than likely do that.

Alex
14-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Actually many people probably don't bother checking the date of what they are buying anyway - I know I often don't bother.

I would say that I think this is a bit of an issue with small family owned stores being reluctant to eat into their profit margins, or unable to swallow the cost of unsold products (no pun intended). However, I've been in supermarkets that are as bad if not worse.

Now I think about it, I guess I really should check sell-by dates :inquisiti

ralliart-type-s
14-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Derek - I would contact CAB first - they usually give sound advice. But I would be tempted with Warburtons AND trading standards. Then maybe a local paper? I do agree with the the sentiment that they need to get into trouble for this.

I agree that my statement sounded racist and this was not my intention, i did, however, intend to imply that food hygiene standards are not a priority in many of these local "family" owned shops and it is not just the shops, but also takeaways etc which are opened/owned by a lot of people who place profit over and above the welfare of the consumer.

Nick Mann
14-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree that my statement sounded racist and this was not my intention, i did, however, intend to imply that food hygiene standards are not a priority in many of these local "family" owned shops and it is not just the shops, but also takeaways etc which are opened/owned by a lot of people who place profit over and above the welfare of the consumer.

Glad it wasn't racist! Thanks for clearing it up.

To be honest, I think there are idiots and ar$es in many places, taking the p!ss out of the consumer. You must have heard about McD's employees spitting in the burgers? So not just family owned either....

bradc
15-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I do consider myself slightly racist, but in this case I think it is worth pointing out that whether the topic is racist or not, the *exact* same things happen with the *exact* same races who own shops in NZ, Aussie, USA, and obviously the UK, which must point towards the same thing being true, about them not caring as much about food that has passed it's shelf life, or has other problems.

Nick Mann
15-05-2007, 04:41 PM
It is racist as soon as you make a snap judgement on someone because of their skin colour. There is good and bad everywhere, in all religions, all walks of life, and certainly all skin colours. Racism is judging before knowing based purely on skin colour/clothing/religion etc.

Sweeping statements are racist, which includes yours above. Please limit any further comments to factual observations or helpful advice. Any more sweeping generalisations against any group of people will result in me closing this thread.