PDA

View Full Version : V6 Uprated Brakes

n13l pm
10-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi all, /help

I was thinking about getting uprated break discs and pads. Im not after a big break kit or anything, just uprated standard size discs. Iv search on here for Black Diamond and Nitrac Combi Discs 'Drilled & Grooved' but I couldnt find anything on Nitrac.. I was wondering if anyone has used their stuff. Iv been on motorsportworld.co.uk and europerformance.co.uk and the prices are more or less the same. Has anyone else tried and tested any other makes or have any more suggestions..

Thanks in advance

psbarham
10-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi all, /help

I was thinking about getting uprated break discs and pads. Im not after a big break kit or anything, just uprated standard size discs. Iv search on here for Black Diamond and Nitrac Combi Discs 'Drilled & Grooved' but I couldnt find anything on Nitrac.. I was wondering if anyone has used their stuff. Iv been on motorsportworld.co.uk and europerformance.co.uk and the prices are more or less the same. Has anyone else tried and tested any other makes or have any more suggestions..

Thanks in advance

yours is a facelift so the vr4 pads will fit yours i think :inquisiti in which case drop thetyrant on here or the mlr a PM and get some carbotech pads , you will not be dissapointed

Kieran
10-05-2007, 08:40 AM
yours is a facelift so the vr4 pads will fit yours i think :inquisiti

It depends. If it's an early sport like Paul Beazers, then yes it probably does. However the later sports used a different shape, so check first.:scholar:

n13l pm
10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks lads,

Yeah my ones a later elegance model (2003), il will have to check up the sizes.. what about discs, anyone used Nitrac?

Paul Beazer
10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
It depends. If it's an early sport like Paul Beazers, then yes it probably does. However the later sports used a different shape, so check first.:scholar:
Right this is something i've never been sure about. My V6Sport has twin pot front calipers, which im lead to believe are the same as VR4 std brakes, yay or nay?

Nick Mann
10-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Paul - I am 95% sure that you have VR4 pads on the front calipers.

Paul Beazer
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Paul - I am 95% sure that you have VR4 pads on the front calipers.
Agreed. So are my twin pot's original fitting or has someone popped them on there?

White Lightning
10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
My V6Sport has twin pot front calipers, which im lead to believe are the same as VR4 std brakes, yay or nay?

Yes, the standard front calipers on the VR-4 are twin piston.

n13l pm
10-05-2007, 11:58 PM
So no one tried Nitrac discs (http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/nitrac-discs.html)before?

g6acb
11-05-2007, 12:38 AM
I've not come across them before - or heard them mentioned on the forums before......

there are 'similar' options available - Kieran likes the Rossini discs, EBC GD discs have recently become available for our cars

The brakes on my Classic should be the same as your Sport, and while the bigger discs are an improvement on my old GLS, they still have their short comings - Which ever way you go I await your findings with interest

I still don't know what is the best way to go - will uprated discs + pads, decent fluid and braded hoses be good enough or is it worth throwing a bit more cash to get a big brake kit? (Both rally205 and The Vee have made investigations down this route)

Then there is always PSB's modded VR-4 brakes and carbotech pads...... the raves the carbotech pads get they may be enough on their own if they were available in our pad pattern?:thinking:

n13l pm
11-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks all,

I think im going to go for a Black Diamond set up all the way around. Drilled & grooved discs front and back and their predator pads. Cant afford a big break kit at the moment. The black diamonds dont seem to have much of a bad review..

Il keep you posted..

n13l pm
13-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Anyone used Venom Motorsports - www.venommotorsport.com ??

They seem to be the cheapest around for black diamond. All four drilled & grooved discs and two pairs of pads for £351 to my door.

Rikki
13-05-2007, 02:08 PM
On this topic of uprated brakes for the V6, what happened to the big brake upgrade someone had mentioned few weeks back? I cant find the thread anymore :speechles

my brakes started smoking at the weekend but only on one side so now might be an idea to upgrade, seeing as ill need to get at least one of the calipers checked out

The Vee
13-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Guilty!!!! It was me doing the upgrade thing and as yet still waiting for the parts to arrive to do the write up and test. Thread is in the members area.
As far as earlier posts on this thread are concerned - just a word of caution. Mine too has the 2 pot calipers ala VR4, but I believe the discs on these models are slightly smaller than the VR4. That means the caliper or mounting irons will be slightly different to compensate for this. I'm not an authority on this but it is something to watch out for.....................

Rikki
13-05-2007, 06:50 PM
aah yeah i havent got round to paying the £20 again as yet. PayPal not liking my current details, will sort it soon.

Am i right in saying any calipers will go on any car? They only need adaptors or changed brackets? Was looking at buying a set of evo calipers for the V6, change the brackets, only problem that i can see is i will need to either find a 320mm disc with 4x114 or re-drill the standard evo ones. Someone have any more convincing input on this?

I-S
16-05-2007, 01:19 PM
If it's not to late, don't go with Black diamond. I had BD discs and pads on the front of my GLS... the first set of pads started crumbling away at the edges, and one of the front discs always rattled (go over a bump and it clonked, even with the wheel nuts done up very tight... I'm not the only person who had this problem with BD discs too), and then something REALLY weird happened with one of the discs:

http://www.askisaac.com/images/disc1.jpg
http://www.askisaac.com/images/disc2.jpg
http://www.askisaac.com/images/disc3.jpg
http://www.askisaac.com/images/disc4.jpg

n13l pm
16-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Damn I ordered the rear set on monday, my ones are totalled. il just have to take the chance and see how they are. .

I-S
16-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I still have BD discs and pads on the rear... they buzz but otherwise have been ok. However, I've not found performance of the BD discs to be any better than plain jane el cheapo discs. The pads are by far the more significant factor on the road, and I now have EBC green on the front, which are better than the predators.

n13l pm
16-05-2007, 02:59 PM
il have mine fitted this weekend, il let you know how they go..

The Vee
17-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Just had word on the stuff I ordered for the front - should be here Thursday or Friday

g6acb
17-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Just had word on the stuff I ordered for the front - should be here Thursday or Friday

Will they be getting a run out at combe, or is that a bit too soon?

The Vee
17-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Will they be getting a run out at combe, or is that a bit too soon?
I hope so. If they arrive early enough today (Thurs) I may just have time to fit them.

g6acb
17-05-2007, 12:56 AM
:afro:

Any chance of seeing if my wheels are compatible at some point?

The Vee
17-05-2007, 01:00 AM
If I have them fitted then you'd be very welcome to try a wheel on, as it were!

g6acb
17-05-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm sure I will catch up with you at JapFestShowstravaganza at some point, thankyou

n13l pm
21-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Fitted my rear black diamond combi discs and pads, iv only done about 150 miles on it, so its still bedding in but so far im very happy. My old discs were a bit KO, so I guess I was always going to notice a good change, but its good to finally get grid of that standard soft sponge like brake feeling!

The Vee
23-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Received the Brake kit and now fitted, although not actually driven the car yet. If they work as well as they look I shall be most impressed. They look really well made and the kit is very complete.

Rikki
23-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Received the Brake kit and now fitted, although not actually driven the car yet. If they work as well as they look I shall be most impressed. They look really well made and the kit is very complete.

You are either an early riser or a late sleeper lol.

bradc
23-05-2007, 09:40 AM
are those the 8 pots Andy?

The Vee
24-05-2007, 12:42 PM
You are either an early riser or a late sleeper lol.

Ah, the joys of shiftwork/pan /pan

Brad, yes, thet are the 8 pots - shall do a full write up when I return next week

bradc
24-05-2007, 08:29 PM
cool, any news on 6 pots for the rear?

Wodjno
24-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Ah, the joys of shiftwork/pan /pan

Brad, yes, thet are the 8 pots - shall do a full write up when I return next week

They look Sick Dude :sick2:

g8legnum
21-06-2007, 08:16 PM
I've recently put a set of Rossini discs on the front of my 2001 V6 Sport estate and so far have been very pleased with their performance. Notable improvement in pulling power even with the standard single piston calipers - just in case you're still thinking :inquisiti