PDA

View Full Version : Reassembly questions... you had to know they were coming

FNFAST VR4
10-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey all,

I'm a tad confused about reassembling my clutch to my engine, gearbox to engine etc.

I thought I had the clutch fork all sorted but it seems not. This may come across as a rather stoopid question, but which way should the springs push the release bearing? Towards the clutch or towards the gearbox?

BraindG
10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Do you mean this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95518&postcount=30)?

Kenneth
10-05-2007, 10:00 AM
its a pull type clutch, so it releases by pulling the diaphram out away from the engine.

FNFAST VR4
10-05-2007, 10:15 AM
So the springs should move the fork/release bearing towards the trans / away from the clutch?
Next question, how much movement is there down at the slave cylinder? How far should it push the fork?

Kenneth
10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
So the springs should move the fork/release bearing towards the trans / away from the clutch?
Next question, how much movement is there down at the slave cylinder? How far should it push the fork?

er, enough to fully disegage the clutch?

Yep, springs push the release fork back towards the transmission.

FNFAST VR4
10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Ha ha I feel like a knob for asking these questions! According to NZQA I can diassemble and reassemble a transaxle and do all sorts of other automotive things ha ha. Been a while.

I think the either the slave or master cylinder is buggered, cos I've bled it heaps of times and it is barely moving the clutch fork. Pedal isn't coming all the way up either.

BraindG
10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I think the either the slave or master cylinder is buggered, cos I've bled it heaps of times and it is barely moving the clutch fork. Pedal isn't coming all the way up either.
Tis quite normal, you put the whole thing back together now?

the last 2 times i done my clutch the pedal didnt come all the way out either - took about an hours worth of driving for it to sort itself out - using my toes to pull the pedal back out after changes. :inquisiti

richy rich
10-05-2007, 06:00 PM

the last 2 times i done my clutch the pedal didnt come all the way out either - took about an hours worth of driving for it to sort itself out - using my toes to pull the pedal back out after changes. :inquisiti
As Barry said it takes ages to get the clutch to work, that is why is best to lock the slave cyl in place.

dickytim
10-05-2007, 08:14 PM

That being said I had to have both the cylinders rebuilt when I did mine, the clutch just wouldn't pump up, resleeved master cylinder and slave cylinder (if that is what it is) later and the clutch finally worked correctly :)

BTW it costs about the same to have the master cylinder resleeved than it does to replace it, but they resleeve it with a stainless shim so it shouldn't break down ever again, unlike the factory ones.

FNFAST VR4
10-05-2007, 08:30 PM
That being said I had to have both the cylinders rebuilt when I did mine, the clutch just wouldn't pump up, resleeved master cylinder and slave cylinder (if that is what it is) later and the clutch finally worked correctly :)

BTW it costs about the same to have the master cylinder resleeved than it does to replace it, but they resleeve it with a stainless shim so it shouldn't break down ever again, unlike the factory ones.

Sounds like what its doing. Yay more money to spend!

It was going back together until I thought I may have done the fork springs all wrong then it came apart again. Oh well, back together she goes!

Subaru ETA
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Ha ha I feel like a knob for asking these questions! According to NZQA I can diassemble and reassemble a transaxle and do all sorts of other automotive things ha ha. Been a while.

haha yeah but to have a nz qualification you dont actually need to know how to do it, just how to fill the books out! we had an idiot that used to work with us who was a qualified auto sparky who didnt know to check both sides of a fuse when checking if it is blown! /pan

FNFAST VR4
11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Thats true. We did a fair bit of practical as well, but it was a looong time ago now.

FNFAST VR4
12-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Are there any easy tricks to get it back on? It just doesn't want to go that last bit (under an inch)!

dickytim
13-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I found swearing a heck of a lot getting up, throwing tools across the garage floor, picking them up again because the weren't mine, repeat...

FNFAST VR4
13-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I found swearing a heck of a lot getting up, throwing tools across the garage floor, picking them up again because the weren't mine, repeat...

Believe me, that has happened... and if the prelude was here it'd have another foot shaped dent in it.

So is it really nothing more than lots of wriggling and pushing and shoving and swearing?