PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

rab
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Finally got round to posting as there were so many forums and posts to read first, some of which I could relate to e.g tappet and front suspension noises.

I have a 98 Galant GLS and after a years trouble free motoring I find myself starting to encounter some repair work, hence the reason for joining this club.

The last repair job was a month ago when the crankshaft pulley split in two and I then decided to take the opportunity to replace the timing belts at the same time.

My latest problem is that when RAC windscreens replaced my cracked windscreen my remote and alarm system stopped working from the key fob.

They maintain that they haven't touched anything which would cause this and that I should replace the battery in the key fob.

However, I have two spare key fobs and neither of them work, so I don't think changing batteries will help.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Rab

Nick Mann
10-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Do you have the UK re-badged cobra alarm? There are some instructions in the members area for one of those... But there are a couple of different specifications for them too.

Hope you are finding the site useful. Maybe with a bit more info we can help you sort this too?

rab
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for a quick response.

I just assumed that it was the standard alarm fitted to the car as there are no other indications on the car as to the alarm system.

The members area sounds very interesting and value for money compared to the dealers charge of £60 for a diagnostic check so will probably join this over the weekend.

Is there any obvious way to see what alarm system is fitted?.

White Lightning
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
when the crankshaft pulley split in two

:speechles

Blimey, lucky that didn't take the cambelt and the engine with it ...

Welcome to the club ... :thumbsup:

rab
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I was really lucky as when i removed the timing cover the width of the timing belt had decreased by about a third and the small belt behind it had snapped, probably due to the debris from the timing belt.

Also lucky that it happened about a hundred yards from my door.

Nick Mann
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Do a google image search on cobra alarm. The first few images that come up are all of a cobra alarm system that has the same fob as the mitsubishi alarm system found on the galant.

Unless this link works and then I've done it for you!
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=cobra+alarm&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Brunty
10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the club rab - hope you get your alarming problem resolved.

Undertaking jobs like this you sound like the sort of bloke we'll (well me) be turning to for advice rather than the other way round.

All the best.

rab
10-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Your link worked perfect and going by the key fob it looks like I've got a Cobra Alarm System fitted.

I will have a look under the bonnet and see if I can identify which model it is and get back to you.

g6acb
10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
/Welcome

Along with the fob, do you also have a 'dongle' * and a little black circle with a silver center in the dash to the right of the steering wheel??

(you should do if it is Std Mitsu/Cobra alarm)

Does touching the black circle with the end of the dongle do anything?

There could be a link to the windscreen fitting and your alarm not working with the fob....

* full of highly thechnical terms me!

rab
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Sorry for the delay as I had a prowl under the bonnet and I can't even see the alarm, so do I need glasses or is it hidden from view.

I do indeed have a dongle and I've been using this to set the alarm manually at night but it's a pain in the early hours of the morning as the alarm goes off as soon as you open the doors, so depending on what time of the morning I have leave determines wether I activate the alarm at night.

g6acb
10-05-2007, 05:35 PM
read through this

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18125&highlight=alarm

to see if its just a case of the fob going out of sync, but then why would the other fobs not work either?

after that then your looking at the reciever end of things - and that could possibly tie in with the windscreen change :thinking:

rab
10-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Excellent, now I have something to work with and I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Lillywotsername
10-05-2007, 07:58 PM
As others have said..../Welcome.

Pleased to see to have sorted out the problem with your alarm with the help of the brainiacs on here /haz.