PDA

View Full Version : Light sensors

MGV6
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know where I can locate the light sensors in my car? Apparently I have been informed, this is the reason why my headlights don't switch off when the engine is running on. Just wanted to see where they are and play around with them :)

psbarham
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
what light sensors? the only thing i have in mine are the ones in the front ofmy head , which sends a signal to my brain which then tells my fingers which way to turn the switch

MGV6
10-05-2007, 08:16 PM
is there no light sensors related to headlights ??

g6acb
10-05-2007, 08:21 PM
/haz I think that would be PSB saying if you have got light sensors, then they are an aftermarket thing and, as such, could be anywhere.....

The only Mitsu option was for daytime running lamps for the Scandanavian market - but we have discussed this before :scholar:

White Lightning
10-05-2007, 09:29 PM
what light sensors? the only thing i have in mine are the ones in the front ofmy head , which sends a signal to my brain which then tells my fingers which way to turn the switch

What have you been drinking tonight ??? /haz

Wouter
10-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I had some light sensors in my Blue legnum.

The sensors replaced the side light bulb.

The easiest way to check if your's are the same is to ensure the engine is off then switch the side lights on.... if the side lights don't come on then there is a good chance your sensors have replaced the bulbs.

MGV6
11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I had some light sensors in my Blue legnum.

The sensors replaced the side light bulb.

The easiest way to check if your's are the same is to ensure the engine is off then switch the side lights on.... if the side lights don't come on then there is a good chance your sensors have replaced the bulbs.

side lights? wheres that?

Kieran
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
side lights? wheres that?

He means the small dim lights in your headlamps - the ones that come on at the first 'click'.

MGV6
11-05-2007, 08:06 PM

I just tested it. When the engine is switched off, I switch on the dim lights from the indicator stalk, the lights come ON.

What does this mean?

Kieran
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I just tested it. When the engine is switched off, I switch on the dim lights from the indicator stalk, the lights come ON.

What does this mean?

That's normal behaviour.

You really need to get your car to either WRD or to Japfest so we can take a look at it!

MGV6
11-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I know, I need to see the WRD lads very soon. Whenever I get a chance later this year (probably looking at around July time) I've got to get it down there.

So far not a single garage (been only to 1 Mitsui dealer as well) has been able to establish the cause of this problem and although its not a major issue its still a very annoying issue :) Would love to know what is the root cause of this problem.

If it helps I have identified something else just now as well...........

When my car is switched on the first ignition (with all headlights switched OFF), the car makes a continous (non stop) beep noise. You know like in most cars when your headlights is switched on and you switch off engine and then try to come out, the car makes a beep noise which means the lights are still on......thats the noise it makes. Does this provide any clue as to what may be causing this?

6a13
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
There is a light sensor in the centre of the vent on the top of the dashboard.
This sensor tells the car to put on the pretty blue light around the key barrel. I suppose it could have other purposes that i haven't discovered yet.

Kieran
11-05-2007, 08:56 PM
There is a light sensor in the centre of the vent on the top of the dashboard.
This sensor tells the car to put on the pretty blue light around the key barrel. I suppose it could have other purposes that i haven't discovered yet.

There is indeed a light sensor, but it's not connected to the ignition barrel light (this is goverened by the ETAC system).

The sensor is actually utilised by the automatic aircon system. It measures the amount of daylight to help adjust the speed of the fans whilst the system is running.:scholar:

Kieran
11-05-2007, 08:57 PM
When my car is switched on the first ignition (with all headlights switched OFF), the car makes a continous (non stop) beep noise. You know like in most cars when your headlights is switched on and you switch off engine and then try to come out, the car makes a beep noise which means the lights are still on......thats the noise it makes. Does this provide any clue as to what may be causing this?

Had you got a door or the bonnet/bootlid ajar when you tried this?

MGV6
11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Had you got a door or the bonnet/bootlid ajar when you tried this?

No.

Everything was closed, shut.

Nevman
12-05-2007, 02:05 AM
The sensor is actually utilised by the automatic aircon system. It measures the amount of daylight to help adjust the speed of the fans whilst the system is running.:scholar:

Sorry for being ignorant but I can't understand what daylight sensor has to do with aircon??? Unless it is a temperature sensor of course.

psbarham
12-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Sorry for being ignorant but I can't understand what daylight sensor has to do with aircon??? Unless it is a temperature sensor of course.
it works out how bright (therefore hot) the sun is , so if its a scorching day the a/c will come on full with the fan going spazzy , whereas if its a warm night the aircon knows it can beat the heat :inquisiti with half the power , saves a bit of juice as well

Nevman
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, the temperature sensor would be good enough for that job, wouldn't it?
What is the difference for the system if it is warm night (+20C) or cold winter day (5C or less). It is all about temperature ain't it (me thinks)?

Kieran
12-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, the temperature sensor would be good enough for that job, wouldn't it?
What is the difference for the system if it is warm night (+20C) or cold winter day (5C or less). It is all about temperature ain't it (me thinks)?

There is a cabin and an external temperature system too, these govern how much the air drawn into the car is either heated or cooled. As PSB says, the daylight sensor helps the system do this with more accuracy - particularly as the temperature sensors can be fooled - for example, belting down the motorway, the external sensor will get quite cool, even if it's a hot day.

Also think about it - get into a hot car on a sunny day and you will need to have the fans on longer to bring the temperature under control - simply because as well as a high air temperature, there is also a lot of heat generated from radiation - the windscreen acts like greenhouse glass. On a cold night, the system has less heat 'energy' to contend with, so it doesn't need to work as hard for as long to stabilise the cabin temperature.