PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to get the transfer case back on?

FNFAST VR4
12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
After some initial hiicups everything started going bck together sweet as.... until the transfer case... Does anyone know any tricks to get it to pop back on? It's pretty much the same problem I had when removing it but going the other way! I tried winding some bolts it but they just wrecked the thread on one of the holes! Any help gratefully received, as we are so close to having it completed!!

StunEm
15-05-2007, 06:37 AM
The transfer case should just pop back in, When i fixed a gearbox at work, i had a little trouble getting the transfer case back in.
Just wiggle the case towards the gearbox as the shafts have to realign and pass through the seals. They seem to need to be exactly aligned to push in. Just keep wiggling the case side to side, up to down, until she fits.
Maybe rotate the flange on the transfer case to align the splines on the shafts.

FNFAST VR4
18-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks man. Got it back together. Car is in at mechanics for a warrant and to have a new master cylinder fitted. Should get her back on Monday...

FNFAST VR4
22-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Got it all back together, the master cylinder was poked so booked it in somewhere and got the warrant done at the same time. Stoked! Got my OWN car back! Feels great to be self sufficient again!

Once I can get back to the garage for the recheck (failed on front tyres edge wear - have replaced em) it'll even be legal!

mpau009
22-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Good stuff!/notworthy :afro:

...now you can write a full tutorial for the members section:scholar: .. or just paste your 4 or 5 other threads together:baby:

:PI know who to call to do mine for me in the next month or two:pimp2:

You'll have to bring it to a meet in future too.

FNFAST VR4
23-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I used Dicky Tims instructions from the members area. Only thing I could possibly add is pulling the gearbox apart which was fun in itself!

New clutch is fantastic. Still very driveable but feels a lot firmer than the standard one. Having said that this all came about because the input shaft seal was leaking oil onto my clutch plate all the time!!

I can see why Dicky tims instructions say it gets easier the second and third time.

I fully plan to bring it to the next meet.

Wouter
23-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I am glad you got it working!!

When Barry and I changed his clutch we were amazed that the thing even moved once we were finished!

Not a Job i recommend doing without access to a ramp... especially in England where it seems to rain every day!

FNFAST VR4
23-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I hijacked our garage, here's a photo of my baby in pieces, I attempted it with a repco trolley jack that barely lifted it higher than the standard jack ha ha.

I was surprised it went too. I tense up every time I drive it up to the 6th floor of the parking building at work. Be my luck for it to die halfway up one of the ramps!