PDA

View Full Version : MAP2 can't run Speed Cut Defencer

mpau009
13-05-2007, 10:40 AM
FROM THE MAP2 FORUM: Q. The MAP-ECU2 has a Speed Cut Defender (SCD), how does this work?

A. SCD is similar is the FCD in that the input is clamped to a configured setting. The difference is that SCD is based on a frequency signal rather than a voltage. SCD is only available when the MAP-ECU2 is configured in MAF voltage mode

I'm getting a little frustrated with the MAP2 unit, its still great value for money, but i think its a bit rough that they dont mention in their advertising that the Speed Cut Defencer, and Speed Adjust features cannot be used when the MAPCAL2 software is configured for Karman Vortex Frequency based airflow meters (which the VR4 runs)./pan Which you need to run on MAP (kinda the point of the MAP2...)

So even though the output wires are there, obviously the unit can only output one frequency signal or something.

I still have a bunch of options available for Nos control, or extra injectors or other RPM based switched items like a shift light, but not the feature i really wanted./Grrr

So all up, i will be running (once the other input is freed up from learning)

- Boost control,
- KVF, and Baro Outputs, to replace our KVF based MAF
- Switchable primary/secondary fuel maps
- Launch control

So all up a good combination of features on top of the Fuelling changes, Base 02 alterations to keep OBDII cars happy, and ignition tuning (but not monitoring, or knock monitoring:thinking:), but still it sucks that it cant do all that it says.

Also i am increasingly frustrated by the lack of components they dont include with the kit, for example, i had to buy a few meters of vacuum hosing, a magnetic reed switch, some small toggle type switches, and now some 5v 10kOhm resistors, all little items which could have been included for next to nothing, but costs me in time and petrol trying to find them, and making sure i get the right ones..

The second frustrating issue i have had is the limited Lookup table the current software version has for interpreting A/F ratios, it cannot see below 10:1, and i am at the moment often below this at WOT, again not a major, but still annoying. They will be addressing this in the next update apparently.

Also can anyone confirm if the Apexi RSM is capable of removing speed cut on our cars? Or what other specific SCD's are available, and work?

Just something to bear in mind for those considering the MAP2 for our specific setups.

Kenneth
13-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Mike, just cut the wire!

Its not like you wernt going to have to cut it anyway, so what does it matter? Good bye speed cut.

Kenneth
13-05-2007, 10:55 AM
as for the AFR isssue, you can actually log the AFR with the LMWorks program to see what you are getting to. while this doesn't give you the RPM and load cross reference, it will let you know what sort of adjustment you need (will tell you if you are going well below 10:1 or only just )

mpau009
13-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Mike, just cut the wire!

Its not like you wernt going to have to cut it anyway, so what does it matter? Good bye speed cut.

:inquisiti Whaat? can you just cut it. Have you got a link or something? i assumed that it needed it to make the speedo work or something else important.
That sounds promising though

As for the AFR, i'm sure its not going below 9, because you can sort of picture the curve even though its just flat at 10, just annoying that they didnt think to add something so simple. And as you say it is easier when you can compare boost, revs, TPS and AFR.

The good news is that the launch control was simpler than i thought it was going to be. I was going to be all fancy and rivet the switch on, but it was in such a tight space i ended up giving up and supergluing it on:P

Kenneth
13-05-2007, 10:37 PM
yeah dude, you just cut the speed sensor wire near the ECU. it doesn't affect the speedo at all, just removes speed cut.

The rumor I heard was that the Japanese manufacturers had to limit the cars to 180km/h by law, but purposely made it very very easy to remove the limiter.

Get your side cutters out and snip that wire!

d i c k i e s
14-05-2007, 01:01 AM
hmmm intresting.

Kenneth
14-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Re the speed sensor cutting:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12770&highlight=speed+sensor+wire

I did it and had no adverse affects. Found the speedo stops going around at some point though... it just sits there :P

mpau009
14-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Thats some good info:2thumbsup

I actually have a spare switch that i bought for the map project, so i guess i could wire that in so i can turn it back if i wanted to.

Your old wagon had AYC didnt it? So no problems with that setup? i thought it needed a range of sensors to do its thing. Or is that only brake/accelerator related?

EDIT: never mind just read the other thread/pan Sounds like a great solution

Kenneth
14-05-2007, 09:10 AM
ABS runs off the wheels, which is different. ABS uses the wheels and acceleromiters (spelling)

So basically, (at least in a manual) the speed input to the ECU does nothing other than trigger speed cut :P