PDA

View Full Version : car departs road, would TC have saved me?

Robotnik123
14-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi All,

Last night I went too fast around a sharp lefthand bend. I turned the wheel left, but the car kept going straight. The vehicle crossed to the other side of the road and ended up in the grass. Fortunately, there doesn't appear to be any damage.

My car is a facelift VR-4 Legnum with AYC, but no traction control. Just wondering if I had traction control, if I would've stayed on the road?

Wouter
14-05-2007, 08:11 AM
I doubt it! All the TC does is get in the way of the AYC by cutting the power when the AYC needs it.

Gly
14-05-2007, 08:12 AM
doupt it.

traction control only works when you floor it.
not once your already up to speed and going round coners??

could be wrong, i dont have TC nor is it something i would want.

Kieran
14-05-2007, 08:14 AM
It depends on the speed and road conditions. If you'd come in a *bit* too fast and it was pushing gently wide then it might have been able to catch you before departing the road.

If you'd come in far too fast, then it would have still kicked in and pegged back engine power most probably, but it can't work miracles.

Robotnik123
14-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Yes, I was probably going a *bit* fast - it may have helped then. Oh well, I shall have be more careful.

It depends on the speed and road conditions. If you'd come in a *bit* too fast and it was pushing gently wide then it might have been able to catch you before departing the road.

If you'd come in far too fast, then it would have still kicked in and pegged back engine power most probably, but it can't work miracles.

Physician
14-05-2007, 08:45 AM
As previously mentioned ...... Traction Control works when ACCELERATING.

In your case, if you were actually accelerating round the bend at that moment in time it would have kicked in but my guess is that you would already have been filling your pants and lifted off the gas - so the TCL would have had no involvement. Your AYC should have assisted you though - but again, as mentioned, there are laws of physics which dictate just how far you can go.

Anyway, no damage, so a good lesson learned!

bradc
14-05-2007, 10:20 AM
The ASC system in a prefacelift might have helped, although in my experience it tends to make you understeer more.

bernmc
14-05-2007, 10:50 AM
AYC also only works if you are actually under power - so you need to keep your foot in it to get the power transfer. If you'd lifted off, the AYC no longoer was doing anything.

stuey
14-05-2007, 11:14 AM
The ASC system in a prefacelift might have helped, although in my experience it tends to make you understeer more.

Thata's interesting, cos i find on hard sharp turn my car wants to understeer quite badly, i thought it was the Kuhmos.....

bradc
14-05-2007, 11:32 AM
bern - you're wrong there, I've seen AYC lights come up on multiple occaisions without the throttle being open at all. I think that under conditions like that, the diff acts as a brake on one wheel.

stuey, your car is a manual, you don't have ASC.

Wouter
14-05-2007, 12:09 PM
So is ASC good?

If I convert my leggy from Sh!ty matic to manual, will the asc be any good?

bradc
14-05-2007, 09:12 PM
In my opinion it is a hindrance, especially at low speeds around roundabouts.

Mitsi never fitted it to manual cars, so I don't even know if it would work at all.

CANDEE
14-05-2007, 09:16 PM
So is there a way of dissabling both the traction control and the ASC on auto's??

bradc
14-05-2007, 09:29 PM
you can pull the fuse out, but I beleive that screws up the ABS as well.