PDA

View Full Version : single mismatched tyre

Robotnik123
15-05-2007, 06:55 AM
My car had four Yokohama 225/50/16 tyres on it. They were all getting near the end of their lives with 5-6 mm tread depth on them.

Today I ran over a 3 inch nail and so my driver's side rear tyre needed replacing. I bought a used Pirelli P6000 with 6mm tread depth on it for $40.

Do you guys think it'll be OK to run the car with one mismatched tyre like that for a few months until I get all four tyres replaced? I suppose handling will be compromised, as the P6000 has a different tread pattern, but what about wear on the differential - with a similar tread depth on the replacement tyre will there be much extra stress on it?

Gly
15-05-2007, 07:08 AM
as long as the rolling diameter of the tyres is about the same it should be fine for the diffs,

just the mismatched tread patterns will screw with the cars handling, could possible screw with the ayc too?

can you get a second pirelli? so you can at least have matching left/right? best option if you cant get all new tyres now

Robotnik123
15-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah I might see if they have a matching pirelli available. An extra $40 isn't going to kill me I suppose.

as long as the rolling diameter of the tyres is about the same it should be fine for the diffs,

just the mismatched tread patterns will screw with the cars handling, could possible screw with the ayc too?

can you get a second pirelli? so you can at least have matching left/right? best option if you cant get all new tyres now

bradc
15-05-2007, 07:29 AM
If they are badly mismatched the AYC lights will come on when you're driving in a straight line. If the AYC isn't coming up at all, then I wouldn't worry too much

Robotnik123
15-05-2007, 07:40 AM
If they are badly mismatched the AYC lights will come on when you're driving in a straight line. If the AYC isn't coming up at all, then I wouldn't worry too much

No definitely no AYC light. Actually when I was driving it with the space saver spare just before, I saw no light either. This was at 50km/h around town though.

bradc
15-05-2007, 07:52 AM
hmm, the bars come up normally?

Robotnik123
15-05-2007, 07:55 AM
hmm, the bars come up normally?

Oh sure, I see AYC bars when going fast around corners all the time. Over the weekend when I went skidded of the road I had three bars for instance.

Subaru ETA
15-05-2007, 08:19 AM
the different tread patterns aint a good thing...should have same tread on each axle.
for instance, one could have a "rain" tread on it and the other may not so each tyre will be reacting differently to the wet conditions