PDA

View Full Version : Running in new discs & pads

TAR
15-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Right, so I have just finished putting on my new disks and pads :d

I need a quick concensus of opinion on the recommended running in procedure.

I appreciate that you should avoid excessive braking to begin with but whats best for bedding in??

Wodjno
15-05-2007, 09:23 PM

I need a quick concensus of opinion on the recommended running in procedure.

I appreciate that you should avoid excessive braking to begin with but whats best for bedding in??

60mph to 5mph hard on the brakes /yes

then a 2min cool down while still driving steady.

Then repeat it 4 more times :pimp2:

Nick Mann
15-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Some stuff doesn't need it. Some stuff recommends braking from speed, WITHOUT coming to a stop, with each cycle being more fierce than the one before.

I'm sure there are other recommendations too!

Nick Mann
15-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Heh! Sorry Glenn, didn't meant to contradict you! Many don't want you to stop because of the possible heat issue on one part of the disc, plus the possible deposit of dust in one place.

psbarham
15-05-2007, 09:26 PM

I need a quick consensus of opinion on the recommended running in procedure.

when i bedded in the carbotechs on old disc's , i started by gently warming the pads and disc's , then repeatedly harder stops from 60 down to 10 , never stopping , then go for the full pedal stamp at 60 then 70 then 80 etc , i finished bedding mine at 120 , then let them cool naturally by driving around at about 30 - 40 mph and try not to use the brakes . this technique worked perfectly on mine , and i have never suffered squealing or judder with this method, compared to the bedding in gently method

Wodjno
15-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Heh! Sorry Glenn, didn't meant to contradict you! Many don't want you to stop because of the possible heat issue on one part of the disc, plus the possible deposit of dust in one place.

Good point :scholar:

Post edited /pan

SGHOM
the recommended running in procedure.

Castle combe ?? :afro: /rally /rally

WildCards
Some stuff doesn't need it. Some stuff recommends braking from speed, WITHOUT coming to a stop, with each cycle being more fierce than the one before.

I'm sure there are other recommendations too!

This is what I do too, 60-40 a couple of times, 60-20 a couple of times then allow to cool for a couple of minutes then go again and a third time.

Then get out and touch them to make sure they'e not holding the heat :p

Wodjno
15-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Then get out and touch them to make sure they'e not holding the heat :p

**** :inquisiti

Nick Mann
15-05-2007, 09:40 PM
**** :inquisiti

Abso-****ing-lutely.

WildCards
15-05-2007, 09:51 PM
The :p smiley was meant to convey jest.

Wodjno
15-05-2007, 09:57 PM
The :p smiley was meant to convey jest.
Can't you tell when people are takiing the PI$$ :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
17-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Can you recommend a good supplier of "some stuff" discs and pads then Nick, sounds like good kit! :pimp2:

WildCards
17-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Can't you tell when people are takiing the PI$$ :inquisiti

It's a bit difficult to understand **** sometimes Wodj, and you know what a moody sod you are :p

amsoil
17-05-2007, 02:15 PM
All pads need to be bedded in , even if its only to ensure that the pad face and disc face are exactly the same; I know that they should be , but.... All pads that I know of will get 'green fade' if required to work hard straight from the box. It was explained to me as the pad material bonding component being boiled away from the very very thin contacting surface. When its gone they are 'bedded in' if you push too hard before its gone then the bonding component will interfere with the frictional properties of the pad material.
Totally different are carbon based or carbon metalic pads. Having had the 1st ever set of these in the UK back in 1988 (I think) they came with very specific bedding in instructions. Bottom line was that some gentle but ever increasing braking was required for about 20 minutes with 30 minutes then with no braking for the pads and discs to cool. The idea was that the metal disc took on a fine surface of carbon and you ended up with carbon /carbon braking without the exoence (as in 1K per disc!!!) of the very new carbon discs.

Wodjno
17-05-2007, 06:25 PM
It's a bit difficult to understand **** sometimes Wodj, and you know what a moody sod you are :p

TAR
18-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Well thaks all for the advice. I decided to go the 60 to 20 x4 route and then progressively harder on the brakes.

It seems to work well, I came home feeling sick with a blood rush to the head feeling :sick2:

They work a treat and I can only imagine how good a big brake kit would be /rally

cheers.