PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Pulse

adam_shaw
11-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Hello all,

I'm toying with treating myself to a swanky new navigation system in the car and before I go mad and splash the cash I wanted to know if anyone has been here before,

The biggest hassle I can see is getting the speed pulse to the navigation, I'm quite happy to do just about anything with the electrics but trying to find this connection might be just a bit much.

Am I worrying about nothing, or should I turn the job over to someone who can be held responsible if it all goes pear shaped?

Adam

Nick Mann
11-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Is that how they work? I thought they had GPS in them or summat!

adam_shaw
11-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Back in the good old days it was just GPS INSERT INTO post VALUES (I still have a Street Pilot); but now just in case any one of those satellites is not visible we get gyroscopes INSERT INTO post VALUES (for direction changes and acceleration) and speedo pulses INSERT INTO post VALUES (real vehicle speed) the system then uses all three points to correlate the vehicles position as accurately as possible.

For example, a 12 channel GPS receiver has on a good day an accuracy of about 15ft INSERT INTO post VALUES (a cars length) but with the gyro, the system knows that you just made a turn, and comparing it to the known position and the map can 'fine tune' this position.

If I could get one that was just GPS I would, 15 ft is good enough for me, probably be cheaper as well :-D

enigma
11-12-2003, 09:49 PM
The speedo signal is easy enough to find on the ECU loom.......just tap in and away you go! I will find a pin ident for you at some point.

Dave

adam_shaw
11-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Excellent, having just read the post on the MMCS replacement I'm sure you're the man for the job.

Cheers bud.

Adam

enigma
11-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Tada.........

as if by magic a diagram appears!

adam_shaw
11-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Excellent...