PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts needed

rab
20-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Been quite busy since my last post, having fixed my blinking clock, (thanks to Barry for the photo guide) changed oil, filters, plugs and also freed a sticky front wheel caliper, although I've a feeling that it will eventually become troublesome and need replacing in the near future.

I'm now looking at the problem of vibration through the car when accelerating.

Both lower engine mounts look very weak so I was thinking of replacing them as soon as possible.

Can anyone suggest a possible source (apart from the dealers of course) and also a rough price for these parts?.

Beastlee
20-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I saw a posting for the VR ones and Mistsi actually seem quie reasonable for them.

White Lightning
21-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Do you mean the roll stoppers?

There are basically four mounts. The two at the top, either side of the engine, are the load bearing mounts and are the ones that would affect the height of the engine. The two at the bottom are called "roll stoppers" as they try to stop the engine rolling under acceleration. We have replaced both roll stoppers on mine. The rear one (which is a bit of a pig to get at) was £63.36 from Mitsi and the front one was £50.98.

In terms of getting them cheaper, who could try Camskill. Get the Mitsi part numbers of CAPS and give them a call. They can get most stuff. Note that the rear mount was a back order item from Japan when we got it.

White Lightning
21-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Oops ... sorry just realised you have got a GLS. The prices I quoted were for the VR-4 ... /pan

rab
26-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Ordered the roll stoppers from the dealer and received them the next day.
All that's required now is for the rain to stop so that I can get started on changing them over.

Was pleasantly surprised that they were cheaper than the units for the VR-4 and cost me £25.59 ex vat for the front and £57.39 ex vat for the rear which was a total of £97.50 inc. vat.

On another subject, having changed both timing and balance shaft belts can anyone tell me what the balance shaft does and what would be the effect on the engine if the balance belt broke or even jumped a few teeth ?.

Beastlee
26-05-2007, 03:50 PM
The balance shafts rotate in the opposite direction to the crank and camshafts IIRC. THe idea is they cancel out the vibrations of the engine and give a smoother drive overall. SAAB use this method in all of their B2xx engines and it works well.
If it were to step out a cog the result would probably not be catastrophic but you will notice a lot more vibration from the engine. I wouldn't leave it like that for fear of something else of vibrating loose though.

Nutter_John
26-05-2007, 11:32 PM
What Lee said is spot on , it is a harmonic balance to counter act the natural vibrations from the crank . without it the engine vibrates like a bitch ( so I have been told )

rab
26-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the input.
It's the first time I've come across this and I was a bit puzzled about its function.
Also looking at the setup I would imagine that if the balance belt snapped it could very well take the timing belt with it and there goes your engine.

Looking back on this I'm surprised that when I purchased a new timing belt from the dealers the parts guy didn't recommend replacing the balance belt at the same time.

Beastlee
27-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I've dug up this info for you, the SAAB guys reckon it's not normally a requirement as there's less load on it and they run in a fairly pleasant environment.

take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

bradc
27-05-2007, 09:03 PM
From what I can tell it is only important to have one when you have a 4 cylinder engine over 2 litres, ie the mitsi 2.4l engine.