PDA

View Full Version : 1997 vs 2002 VR-4 ECUs

Kenneth
21-05-2007, 09:11 AM
There is a fair bit of difference, the 2002 ecu looks MUCH more refined!

First 3 pics are of the 1997 ECU, the next 3 the 2002.

Be interesting to take to the dyno and test 2 different ECUs.

bradc
21-05-2007, 10:13 AM
nice pimping of the mouse pad :) Sounds like we need to do a swap at some point and see what the differences are between the two on a dyno

MarkSanne
25-05-2007, 01:52 PM
nice pimping of the mouse pad :) Sounds like we need to do a swap at some point and see what the differences are between the two on a dyno

This is very interesting! Talking about ECU's... I recently found out that in my other two (6G) Galants also two different ECU's are housed (these 1G ECU's have been known to have bad condensators and in both cases bingo). A friend of mine who also drives the exact same 6G model (same build-year also) has yet another version of the ECU!!! I'm also eager to test my ECU on a dyno and swap em between the cars to see the differences!

On my 8G V6 with VR4 engine I'm also very interested in the ECU and it's potential. In Holland it's alsmost impossible to find a chiptuner who's willing (and able) to chiptune the VR4 ECU. Anyone ideas/sugessions for me?

Nick Mann
25-05-2007, 01:58 PM
The VR4 ecu will not hold a re-programe.

You will need to get a piggy back ecu to tune your fuelling and timing. I would look carefully at the MAP ecu if I was starting again!

Kenneth - are these both from manual cars? What difference is there between auto and manual?

bradc
25-05-2007, 08:48 PM
they are both from manuals. My 1998 facelift engine ecu had a plastic casing as well, so it looks like they might have changed it from prefacelift to facelift.

Kenneth
26-05-2007, 06:53 AM
yep, both manual ECUs.

so essentially they should do exactly the same thing. Seeing that there is such vairation in the ECU makes me wonder how (if any) different the tune is.

CANDEE
27-05-2007, 09:55 PM
The prefacelift ecu look exactly the same as my auto one.. :)

bradc
27-05-2007, 10:12 PM
cool, sounds like we are getting somewhere, and they did update the ecu's for the facelifts

CANDEE
27-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I havent opened my facelift auto ecu up to see the difference inside but i have noticed a difference in power levels between them. :)

valmes
28-05-2007, 02:24 AM

Wrong. There are quite a few Russian VR-4 club members that had their ECUs re-written (One guy in Moscow does it). There are also bit images and descriptions for ECUEdit for different years of VR-4 ECUs.

Here is his post from VR-4.ru:

1. From start until mid 1996г. - processor MH7201FS(MR16Core) - stock ecu image ЕМ0005;
2. Mid 1996-1997 г. - processor MH7202(H8/500Core) - stock ecu image and re-tunned one ЕМ2005;
3. 1997 onwards - processor MH7202(H8/500Core) - stock ecu image ЕМ2428.

Last two can be switched over...

Will post those files online, so if anyone is willing to tinker with it - go ahead!You can try to disassemble it in IDA Pro and try to find maps/features. Will later post description file xml for ECUEdit (www.epifansoft.com), you can view and edit maps with it.

http://www.vr-4.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=838&st=0

Kieran
28-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Interesting Val, so you can edit the standard ECU using ECUEdit, is that what you are saying?

Are there any english speakers on VR-4.ru?

:thinking:

Beastlee
28-05-2007, 01:49 PM
So, in theory at least, we could reprogram a pre-facelift auto ECU with a Post-Facelift ECU program. :inquisiti

I can get that sort of thing done when I visit Lincoln so wil be keeping my eye on this!

valmes
28-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Interesting Val, so you can edit the standard ECU using ECUEdit, is that what you are saying?

Are there any english speakers on VR-4.ru?

:thinking:

Hummm I think there are people (including me) who can translate any questions you might have...

I think you can Log, Edit and Save an image for future re-flashing... I also believe there's already a tunned version of ECU image, done on the Rollers that can be a starting point for most stock to somewhat altered VR-4 of any year (doesn't matter auto or manual).

No speed limit, no boost cuts, rev limit can be set higher, more agressive timing and altered fueling and 0,9 bar with a stock boost solenoid.

You will have to send your ECU to Moscow....

Beastlee
28-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Well Germany's a lot closer and I probably won't need two cars when I get there...........:thinking:

MarkSanne
28-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Well Germany's a lot closer and I probably won't need two cars when I get there...........:thinking:

I don't understand anymore... ECUedit is a program right? What this talking about sending the ECU to moscow and what do you (Beastlee) mean by your comment? That germany is closer to moscow? So what is you rpoint there exactly? As I am very interested in boosting my VR4 engine (with automatic gearbox ECU) to its 'safe' limits, I'd love to know how the ECU can be re-programmed!

Beastlee
28-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Mark,

I agree that as long as you can get an ECU programmer and the software you should be able to it yourself, with a lot of care!
I was referring to the fact that shipping from Germany to Moscow should be cheaper than from the UK.
I am keen to know more too.

AderC
30-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Found the thread regarding reflashing of our ECUs on openecu:

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=671

I assume Dmitry is the guy in Moscow.

aDe

Nutter_John
30-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Would assume the ecu is being modded to use a flash rom rather than a eeprom , this would then allow ECUedit to alter the base map

AderC
30-05-2007, 10:37 PM
The Mitsi MH7202 chip's based on the H8/539F chip according to this:

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=394

If that's correct then the ecu does have flash memory rather than EPROM.

aDe

Kenneth
30-05-2007, 10:42 PM
For anyone curious, the 2002 ECU uses MH7203 processor. None of this MH7202 crap ;)

bradc
30-05-2007, 11:11 PM
lol, the 7202 is so mid 90's :)

ILYA
20-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Found the thread regarding reflashing of our ECUs on openecu:

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=671

I assume Dmitry is the guy in Moscow.

aDe

Yes, you're absolutely right. Dmitry, is the gyu (in Moscow) who has done re-flashing to us (vr-4.ru) members (not all, but few). One of our mates, had purchase the modified in japan ECU (I'm not quite sure, which ECU it was MINE's, PROS's or something else), and decide to share it with us (of course for some money). The ECU's as Valmes said, had Speed Limiter cut, the boost are at about 1 bar, and has the same maps of ignition and fuel for all four types of those maps (A,B,C,D) (A and B map types are for manual trans, and C and D are for auto trans). Firsts of all, after re-flashing, there was appear some damn sort of knocks, cause our fuel are not so good, as japaneese. And the ECU's are not goes onto safe mode, cause it's not present. So, after that it was decided to go to the DYNO and tune that modified ECU to fit our damn gasoline.

stuartturbo
21-06-2007, 08:49 PM
what formats are the maps in.
Spoke to the boys at work and they think the could do it for me and price for the programme to do myself
If i had pre and post ecu spare they would try to copy the across the programe

Catalan
22-06-2007, 08:11 PM

You will need to get a piggy back ecu to tune your fuelling and timing. I would look carefully at the MAP ecu if I was starting again!

Kenneth - are these both from manual cars? What difference is there between auto and manual?

vr-4 ecu was re-programming, here in moscow.
Old and New, and also, VR-4 ecu's have 3 verstion,
the first 1996 - , with processor MH7201FS(MR16Core)
the second a middle 1996 - 1997 - processor MH7202(H8/500Core)
and third 1997 - , MH7202(H8/500Core)

the last 2 version is absolutly interchangeable.

our MMC ECU guru is made with our club on stand a new fuel map table, cut speed limiter, and hight rpm limiter , new program is more evil then stock, our tunned program boost up 0,9 atm ;)))), but offten trap to safe fuel map table, because fuel in Russia, still not like europe (japan) quality :(

Catalan
22-06-2007, 08:16 PM
ooops sorry for flame
admin please delete my messages, they just copy Valmes posts :)

AderC
22-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Cool. So once Colby finally releases the H8/500-compatible version of ecuFlash we'll be able to flash our ECU's...

aDe

stuartturbo
22-06-2007, 10:31 PM
At work they recon they can do it NOW if i have another programme to put into it
but it would entail removing chip from board which they do all the time.
We was chatting about piggyback ecu's etc the other day and he said no ecu is un mappable it is how hard they are to do, and said ours is know different but it is knowing what each bitmap point does

AderC
27-08-2007, 12:15 PM
There's some progress on the ECUFlash front. The latest version released a few days ago (v1.3.1) is now capable of reading (but not yet re-flashing) the VR-4 ECU (H8/539). I've just connected my tactrix cable and downloaded my ROM successfully. Re-flashing is still work in progress.

aDe

AderC
27-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Copy of my ROM here (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/VR4-rom.hex) if anyone has EcuFlash and wants to play with it.

aDe

AderC
28-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Following some gratuitous Babelfishing I've registered on the vr4.ru site and located the thread on ECU reprogramming. I downloaded the XML definition files that are needed for ecuEdit to read the maps and settings in the VR-4 ROM. I've loaded the settings and my ROM into the software and I can now edit stuff! Screenshot below:

uploaded/1988/1188322019.jpg

All we need now is the reflashing of our ECU's to be enabled in ECUFlash and we're in business...

aDe

Kieran
28-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Very interesting Ade - Now, on that fuel map, is that as it was loaded from your ROM?

The reason I ask is that if you look at this thread at the AFR charts:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24407

My chart (7th one down) and L6's chart (3rd one down) are FAR richer than that chart (assuming that 100% engine load = WOT on the rollers) - and we are on a standard ECU with no fuelling mods. I don't know about Tim, but I had a tankful of 99RON petrol too.

Looking at my own chart, by the time it was at 5000 rpm, it was so rich the machine couldn't read it. Tim's is similar - Your chart shows a target AFR of 11.4, whereas the result for tim was about 10!

L6
28-08-2007, 08:10 PM
just to add to this I had Pooo 96 RON on this run

One day I'll get to do it again on proper 99 or higher.

at the time I thought I would go for the lower to find out my minimum output

L6
28-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I wish I could make head or tail of these charts

I can get to grips with AFR and those 3D graphs look the dogZZ B's

I need some schooling are there are informative websites I ve looked at inovate in the US and watched the Vids which are pritty cool but are there any books etc?

PS sorry for diverting the thread .... Back to the ECU flashing

Normal service is resumed .................. LOL

AderC
28-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Kieran - yes it is from my ROM. There are 4 fuel maps in there - I just picked one at random to show a screenshot. Could yours have been using this one as the target AFR dips below 10 at 5000rpm:

uploaded/1988/1188329062.jpg

Also not sure why the Load% should be 0-200 rather than 0-100. I'm assuming 200% is WOT.

aDe

bradc
28-08-2007, 09:15 PM
the interesting thing would be to figure out how it uses those fuel maps. I'm willing to bet it is to do with the knock value the ecu senses.

VR4 MAD
29-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Following some gratuitous Babelfishing I've registered on the vr4.ru site and located the thread on ECU reprogramming. I downloaded the XML definition files that are needed for ecuEdit to read the maps and settings in the VR-4 ROM. I've loaded the settings and my ROM into the software and I can now edit stuff! All we need now is the reflashing of our ECU's to be enabled in ECUFlash and we're in business...

aDe

aDe, could you please post a link or upload the XML definition files for ecuEdit you got from vr4.ru .

I've just purchased a cable and software and want to get the tables out of both my standard ECU (facelift VR4 tiptronic) and a my Blitz modified ECU to do a comparison. Want to see exactly what Blitz have done to the fueling, if anything.

Cheers.

/toycar

AderC
29-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Copy of the ecuedit XML definition files here (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/VR-4_XMLDefs.zip)

Unzip the files to your c:\program files\ecuedit\XMLDefs folder (back up the originals first!) then EM2005 Galant VR-4 should appear in the list when you click on the File...Open ECU Description menu.

Can't take any credit for these files - big thanks go to the guys over in Russia!

aDe

Wouter
29-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Nice work Ade!

Have some rep. Once you succeed in flashing the ECU with a better config, let me know and I will come and visit!

AderC
29-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I've posted on the vr-4.ru site asking whether we may be able to get a copy of the software they've used for reflashing (I have a copy of a tuned ROM file with raised boost and RPM limit already :evil2: )

If I get hold of the software we'll need to get hold of a "spare" ECU for testing purposes as there's obviously a chance of things going disastrously wrong and ending up with the slowest VR-4 in the country...

aDe

Wouter
29-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll source a spare ECU! I know a man who has a couple!

Paul C
29-08-2007, 05:41 PM
ader have you got the proper reflash cable?

AderC
29-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, I've got the openport 1.3M with the white reflash connector

aDe

Kenneth
31-08-2007, 05:31 AM
for anyone in NZ interested, I also have the cable and software...

Don't have a laptop powerful enough to run the software in real-time logging though :P

AderC
02-09-2007, 08:38 PM
For the techies amongst us and also those who just like looking at pretty coloured 3-D graphs, here's a link to screenshots of the maps in the standard VR-4 ECU (zipped Word format document):

VR-4 ROM screenshots (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/VR-4_ROM_screenshots.zip)

No reply yet from Dmitriy, the guy in Russia who's written the reflash software, but it appears he hasn't logged on to their forum for a few weeks. Otherwise it's wait for the next version of ECUflash.

aDe

VR4 MAD
03-09-2007, 04:30 AM
....No reply yet from Dmitriy, the guy in Russia who's written the reflash software, but it appears he hasn't logged on to their forum for a few weeks. Otherwise it's wait for the next version of ECUflash.

aDe

That's a shame as Hamish (the writer of the EVOScan software) is really interested in this as well after I told him the VR4 ECU had been successfully re-flashed.......by the Russians..........(that sounds really 80's cold-war stuff doesn't it.../pan )

Let us know as soon as you hear something. Cheers for that.

/toycar

cslotay
24-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Interestingly my late 96 pre-facelift has the same ROM file as AderC. Does anyone have a ROM file of a facelift model for comparison? Just wanted to know what mitsu did to get that extra 20 horses.

Kenneth
24-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Cant get ECUFlash to read my rom, otherwise I would post it up.

Pescha
26-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Just out of interest, about two months ago I upgraded my AUTO ECU 1997 to a 2001 AUTO ECU. I have noticed a HUGE difference.... It is more responsive, more smoother between gear changes, more economic, and just seems to be more gruntier lol like refined... I haven't had it chipped yet, but am looking into it!

Cheers
Pescha
(and yes I'm still living!)

bradc
26-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah the facelift ecu gave me better fuel economy and a lot more power too. Mitsi did some big tuning for the newer ecu's!

na-1
26-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Just out of interest, about two months ago I upgraded my AUTO ECU 1997 to a 2001 AUTO ECU. I have noticed a HUGE difference.... It is more responsive, more smoother between gear changes, more economic, and just seems to be more gruntier lol like refined... I haven't had it chipped yet, but am looking into it!

Cheers
Pescha
(and yes I'm still living!)

hi
help me!
I upgraded test the ECU, AUTO ECU 1997 [iron box] to a mine's AUTO ECU[Black box].and use 97 gear ECU [iron box]is work ok auto gear changes,but i use 98 gear ECU[Black box]. it can not changes to second gear and go to N gear, :inquisiti but use +/- gear is very powerfull:happy:
help help !!

Kieran
26-09-2007, 11:09 PM
hi
help me!
I upgraded test the ECU, AUTO ECU 1997 [iron box] to a mine's AUTO ECU[Black box].and use 97 gear ECU [iron box]is work ok auto gear changes,but i use 98 gear ECU[Black box]. it can not changes to second gear and go to N gear, :inquisiti but use +/- gear is very powerfull:happy:
help help !!

Hello!

Well, I don't know the answer (Pescha, can you help?), but I guess there's two guesses:

** The pins on the Facelift (1998-2003) gear ECUs may be slightly different to the pre-facelift (1996-1998) even though the connectors are the same?

The Black box gear ECU may be faulty?

bradc
27-09-2007, 08:35 AM
the engine ecu's can be interchanged, I can think of about 4 people that have done the swap. Maybe it is the auto ecu that is the problem.

Turbo_Steve
28-10-2007, 09:58 PM
er...wow...just stumbled on this hidden away in photos!
So...just let me get this straight:
My 1996 VR-4 is going to have an H7 cpu.
If I download the software from the OpenECU thread, and buy a 1.3M cable, I can not only read, but reflash my ECU? And just to sweeten the mixture, someone has provided a late spec ROM image which just happens to be loads better (more bhp, better economy, slicker gearchanges, smoother to drive).

Is this an accurate summary? If so...I can't find the downside (apart from the low end possibility of bricking my ECU)?

Kenneth
28-10-2007, 10:10 PM
er...wow...just stumbled on this hidden away in photos!
So...just let me get this straight:
My 1996 VR-4 is going to have an H7 cpu.
If I download the software from the OpenECU thread, and buy a 1.3M cable, I can not only read, but reflash my ECU? And just to sweeten the mixture, someone has provided a late spec ROM image which just happens to be loads better (more bhp, better economy, slicker gearchanges, smoother to drive).

Is this an accurate summary? If so...I can't find the downside (apart from the low end possibility of bricking my ECU)?

ECU flash does not yet support re-flashing the ECU... So no benefit yet really.

Turbo_Steve
28-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Oh...so I got the wrong end of the stick, then?
I thought Valmes post was that the russians are flashing them?

Must be slipping the chips out and flashing them. Gutted.

Sydo
29-10-2007, 12:31 AM
the engine ecu's can be interchanged, I can think of about 4 people that have done the swap.

Hey Brad. Exactly what benefits are we looking at here?
ie; going from a '96 prefacelift auto to a newer ECU..

bradc
29-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Sydo - more mid range torque, better fuel economy

Sydo
29-10-2007, 02:44 AM
The missing 15kwts?

bradc
29-10-2007, 02:49 AM
that too :)

Sydo
29-10-2007, 02:50 AM
**** yeah!

Sydo
29-10-2007, 11:57 PM
One final question.. Will the new one just plug straight in, or is some rewiring required?

bradc
30-10-2007, 02:00 AM
straight in!

Turbo_Steve
01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I bet they're as rare as hens teeth, aren't they? :)

Sydo
05-11-2007, 01:07 AM
The quote I was given has pretty much killed off any idea I had on replacing my ECU.

Turbo_Steve
05-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Shame. There must be a cheaper way of fixing the fuel economy :)

Sydo
05-11-2007, 02:27 AM
There must be a cheaper way of fixing the fuel economy :)

Drive less spirited-ly! :helmet:

bradc
05-11-2007, 06:22 AM
an Apexi AFC isn't a bad option.

Turbo_Steve
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
AFC isn't the answer, brad: It's going to change load points, which is going to change the ignition timings. It's already picky about fuel, so more advance isn't going to help!

The problem seems to be mixed driving, not flat out: On full chat it's about as thirsty as I'd expect (well, I'd expect an extra 40bhp or so, but it's roughly right :) ) it's the normal driving that is ridiculous: It's replaced a 3.0L Twin Turbo that was extensively remapped (at 1.7Bar of boost would make about 500bhp. At 1.0Bar it dyno'ed at 402bhp. We were so proud :) ) which I used as a daily driver, and was by far more economical: Flat out everywhere would see 8-12mpg, whilst 'regular' driving would often touch 31mpg (just!)

I remember doing a 300mile round trip and just seeing the fuel light start to tease it's way on. And that had a bit of everything.

On the same journey, I am confident I would bring the legnum back halfway through it's 3rd tank. Admittedly it's a smaller tank, but that's not the point!

bradc
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, gentle cruising isn't that bad, but if you have a wee bit of fun, the fuel economy isn't good at all.

nismoevo
11-11-2007, 05:10 PM
If i buy a legnum 97 or 98 manual, and put in a ecu from a 2001 or 2002 manual model, will the car goes better then?

bradc
11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
It might be a bit better, but not by much.

Pescha
25-11-2007, 03:03 AM
Hello!

Well, I don't know the answer (Pescha, can you help?), but I guess there's two guesses:

** The pins on the Facelift (1998-2003) gear ECUs may be slightly different to the pre-facelift (1996-1998) even though the connectors are the same?

The Black box gear ECU may be faulty?

Well I purchased my upgrade ECU from Legnumvr4, another member on this site! The go is, is that you have to swap ECU's that are Auto to Auto and Manual to Manual... You can't do a Auto to a Manual or Manual to Auto... Plus when you swap them the battery has to be disconnected from the start. When my hubby swapped it, it all just plugged in like plug and play... no extra playing around with it... off memory my one is a 2001/2002 auto ecu!

Hope this helps!

Pescha!

Paul C
25-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Ader hows the research going have you cracked the reflashing yet.

AderC
25-11-2007, 06:18 PM
No progress. Looks like we've just got to wait for the ecuflash software to fully support our processors

aDe

Kenneth
26-11-2007, 03:27 AM
No progress. Looks like we've just got to wait for the ecuflash software to fully support our processors

aDe

Have you tried or managed to read the ROM from a facelift ECU yet?

valmes
26-11-2007, 04:22 AM
All ROM files from prefacelift ECU, facelift ECU and modified (I think by KS-ROM) are available.

Kenneth
26-11-2007, 05:13 AM
All ROM files from prefacelift ECU, facelift ECU and modified (I think by KS-ROM) are available.

Sorry, I should re-phrase that.

AderC, have you tried or managed to use ECUFlash to read the ROM from a facelift ECU yet?

valmes
26-11-2007, 12:44 PM

AderC, have you tried or managed to use ECUFlash to read the ROM from a facelift ECU yet?

Ohh... Sorry, I guess I was impolite... :speechles :inquisiti :thinking:

Ok then, I should also re-phrase what I've said...

I've got all ROM files from different VR-4 ECUs if anyone should ever need them. All images and definitions were provided by Dmitrii (Epifan) creator of ECUedit software. They are also available on www.vr-4.ru

valmes
26-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Kenneth, next time you learn Russian pop up on our forums... I will try to be nice...

Paul C
26-11-2007, 07:50 PM
valmes do you have the software to upload the modified rom file to the vr4 ecu

AderC
26-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Yes it reads facelift ECU's. Tried it on Nick Mann's at Santa Pod.

aDe

Kenneth
26-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes it reads facelift ECU's. Tried it on Nick Mann's at Santa Pod.

aDe

Cheers, thats what I wanted to know :) :thumbsup:

Kenneth
26-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Ohh... Sorry, I guess I was impolite... :speechles :inquisiti :thinking:

Ok then, I should also re-phrase what I've said...

I apologise for coming across badly valmes, I did not intend to.

My intention was to get a very specific answer from AderC, and that was whether he successfully connected to and downloaded the ROM from a Facelift VR-4 using EcuFlash.
The reason I asked this is because I am having difficulty with EcuFlash connecting to my VR-4s. I already have ROMS that I can play with, but I want to find out why I cannot get them myself from the various ECUs I have lying about.

Your answer made me think that perhaps I had not articulated my question very well, so I re-phrased it to ensure I got the answer I wanted.

phosty
27-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Valmes, would it be possible to make the various roms available on this site - or at least post up screendumps of the roms (particularly the AFR maps) as shown in ECUFlash (like AderC did with his).

I'm curious to see what changes there are - even if we can't upload them to our own ECUs. Isn't there an upgraded MinesVR4-ECU map that you guys in Russia downloaded too? Are they all capable of being uploaded to ECUFlash (for viewing only)?

valmes
28-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Here you go...

AderC
28-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Should just mention that the XML definition files Valmes has posted are for ecuEdit rather than ecuFlash.

aDe

phosty
28-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Yup - just figured that out this morning!

jpnvr4
30-11-2007, 04:23 PM

ok .. if this IS true .. I need anyone in here with a spare 2001-2001 auto ecu 2 contact me and give me price asap.... I would really like serious pm's, or mail 2 me .... thnx....lookin 4 a response soon .... I know power is out there.......!!!! fellow vr4ers (new word) help my out please

bug
21-01-2008, 06:14 AM
You can have these retuned in japan by mines,I had my 1996 legnum redone,removes speed limiter,increases rpm and boost and set for 98 octane.
along with a cold airbox,bigger intercooler and full (3")exhaust system(2.5" from turbos)the car is a rocket!

nismoevo
21-01-2008, 08:24 AM
is the ecu chip a 27C256 likes in the old evo 1-3?

Turbo_Steve
22-01-2008, 12:46 AM
No. It's an H series controller...8 series I believe.
Closer to the Evo 4/5/6 (same as the AYC and parts of the drivetrain)

william
22-01-2008, 01:33 AM
You can have these retuned in japan by mines,I had my 1996 legnum redone,removes speed limiter,increases rpm and boost and set for 98 octane.
along with a cold airbox,bigger intercooler and full (3")exhaust system(2.5" from turbos)the car is a rocket!

Tell us some more!

nismoevo
22-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I sweden they map the orignal ecu on the evo 5 and 6 and called it "ecutek" or something.

If the legnum has the the same ecu system they must be able to map a legnum then on the orginal ecu??

Turbo_Steve
22-01-2008, 11:16 PM
True. But unfortunately they don't do VR-4s. And they're closed source, anything they know is super-hush-secret, even if they don't decide to do VR-4s.
And if they did, they'd charge the usual EcuTek small fortune for the privilege.

nismoevo
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Anyone tried ksrom ecu? wonder if i should order one today.

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I was looking into this. Just trying to make some sense of:

VR4 Gallun 98,000 yen (E84A)

ノーマルブローオフが弱く、正常にブーストが上がっていない場合が、ほとんどです 通常 ブーストは、0,8~0,9ぐらいです。 NOMARUBUROOFU is weak, normally not boost up, but most are usually boost, about 0,8 to 0,9.
ブローオフは、ノーマルでも強化して下さい。 BUROOFU, but normal strengthen please. それだけでもレスポンスアップします。 But the only response it up.
KSROMに交換すればGTOと同じく、3500rpm~のパワー・レスポンスアップ! KSROM GTO as a replacement if the response of the power up to 3500 rpm!
ロム交換だけでも20~30PSアップしますので、ハッキリ体感できます。 Romme exchange only up 20 to 30 PS, clear viewing experience.
ギャランVR4(E39A) 205PS・240PS ¥38000  220PS ¥980 00 Gallun VR4 (E39A) 205PS 240PS JPY 98,000 JPY 38000 220PS

205PS~240PSまで基本的には、変わらないのですが、それぞれの特性に合わせたKSR OMで、 205PS is basically up to 240PS, but not change, each tailored to the characteristics of KSROM,
パワー・レスポンスアップを体感できます。 Power up a sensible response. タービン交換のロムもOKです。 Romme also exchange turbine OK.

Nutter_John
06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
But thats the wrong engine code steve

MarkSanne
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
It's for the 6th gen Galant VR4 (4G63T engine).

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Hmm...there's japanese in there too...seems what I copied isn't what I pasted!???

I was looking at one for a 6A13TT...honest! I'll see if I can get it in properly....

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Normal is a twin-turbo, but susceptible to the power of 260 to 280 PS is like fuel感じませんNormal Map is a limit to 1,0. 点火マップもパワーを抑えたプログラムです。 The low power program also mapped ignition.
6A13は、 ロムでブーストアップ(1,1~1,2)ができますので、ロムだけでも30~40PSアップ します  パワー、レスポンスアップは、もちろんですが、低中速のトルクアップしています  エンジンは、強いのでブーストアップしても耐久性は、十分あります。 6A13 is a boost-up and Lomb (1,1 to 1,2) because you can only Lomb up in the 30 to 40 PS power, the response is up, of course, but in low-speed engines, it is TORUKUAPPU , a strong boost-up because it is durable enough.
ハイフロータービンなどのタービン交換のロム書換もOKです。 HAIFUROTABIN exchange, such as turbine Lomb also rewriting OK.  プラス ¥30000~¥50000です。 Plus ¥ 30000 to 50000 yen.

Turbo_Steve
06-02-2008, 10:07 PM
There....better? :D Got a firefox translation plugin that seems to mess up copy + paste.

Nutter_John
06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Thats more like it , you can normally find em for sale on ebay.jp

Think i priced it once as around 600 quid + an ecu to send to em , problem is there maps are for 100 ron fuel only so unless there is a little give n take on the map we may be more exposed to the limits or our fuel

evo1
25-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know if an evo4 ecu is compatible with any legnums?? only im thinking of swapping out of my evo1 to a legnum and would take the ecu with me

Wodjno
25-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if an evo4 ecu is compatible with any legnums??

i wouldn't have thought so .. The connectors are probably the same.. But the pinouts will be different..

And the main difference is EVO been 4cyl and VR4 6cyl...

bradc
25-02-2008, 06:21 PM
You have an Autronic ECU though, so you could in fact set it up for a VR-4?

What model do you have exactly?

evo1
25-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Just found out it wont.

Hotwire
06-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Question for the CAPS guru's:
The two ECU's in the first post here are
MD340288 (pre-facelift ECU) and MR578135 (facelift)
I have seen a plastic case (facelift) Galant ECU with MD340288 on it, and a number of ECU's with MD340289. My ECU from my prefaclift legnum is MD340289 and the ECU that was with an Auto pre-facelift galant package I bought was also MD340289.

Can someone search the CAPS database to see what cars the following part numbers line up to, I have a feeling they are:
MD340288 - Manual ECU EC5W/EC5A
MD340289 - Auto ECU EC5W/EC5A
MR578135 - No idea

Cheers!

peter thomson
06-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Question for the CAPS guru's:
The two ECU's in the first post here are
MD340288 (pre-facelift ECU) and MR578135 (facelift)
I have seen a plastic case (facelift) Galant ECU with MD340288 on it, and a number of ECU's with MD340289. My ECU from my prefaclift legnum is MD340289 and the ECU that was with an Auto pre-facelift galant package I bought was also MD340289.

Can someone search the CAPS database to see what cars the following part numbers line up to, I have a feeling they are:
MD340288 - Manual ECU EC5W/EC5A
MD340289 - Auto ECU EC5W/EC5A
MR578135 - No idea

Cheers!

They are all manual ecu's

Hotwire
06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Really? that's odd, my car is a 1997 "Car of The Year" model legnum which only ever left the factory in Auto guise, and has MD340289.. sure it's a manual ECU?

peter thomson
06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Really? that's odd, my car is a 1997 "Car of The Year" model legnum which only ever left the factory in Auto guise, and has MD340289.. sure it's a manual ECU?

MD340791 is listed as the only AT specific ecu. All the rest are for the manual transmission but I suppose that dosen't mean they were not used in AT and MT models. Kieran may be able to be more specific as there are a few more MT ecu's listed though they may relate to the STR as Brad said they share the same EC5W chassiss numbers from what I remember in another post

Hotwire
06-10-2008, 11:23 PM
OK - if I provided my chassis number via PM, would that help identify if it is the orignal Auto ECU part#?

peter thomson
06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
OK - if I provided my chassis number via PM, would that help identify if it is the orignal Auto ECU part#?

yes can do

peter thomson
06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
When I check my chassiss number though it comes up as MD340289 . It dosent really make much sense then as when you look at ecus for any Legnums it says it is a manual one.

Hotwire
06-10-2008, 11:37 PM
ok, well as your car is pre-faclift auto as well that doesnt make much sense as they were only 260ps not 280ps.... trying to find a part # that corresponds to a 1998/1999 facelift ECU as I'm trying to source an ECU with the MH7202 chip

Hotwire
06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
hrmm, well I know someone with a manual pre-facelift and have asking him for the ECU part # for his car, just need to find out facelift auto and manual part numbers ;)

Cheers for the help Peter

Hotwire
07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Did some asking around on OzVR4.com for peoples chassis numbers, and also got a friend with CAPS to do some research, and from what I can tell, these are the part #'s for ECU's
Pre-Facelift AUTO - MD340289 (1997 model)
Pre-Facelift MANUAL- MD340288 (1996 model)
Facelift AUTO - MR578137 (2001 model)
Facelift MANUAL- MR578135 (unsure of year)

I would like to hear from anyone with a 1998 or 1999 facelift in both manual and auto to see if the part numbers match up.

Cheers
Lee

Nutter_John
07-10-2008, 11:24 PM
i will check the 1998 manual ecu i have for the part number

scocia
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Just so the info is in two places:

I have a 99 Auto with part number MD362895. With the 702F ECU chip.

Gents we could be onto a great thing here! Once the Russian bloke ( sorry I can't remember his name) gets back to us about the software used to flash the ECUs, certain people will be able to flash pre-tuned roms onto their ecu and then tune away on free software without the need for an aftermarket ECU.

This is a pretty massive step from the " Can't flash any of them, have to spend $$$$ for aftermarket gear." line that I always read when looking into it.

Thank you to all the Russian members for all the great work so far, hopefully a global community will create some great resources for us all!