PDA

View Full Version : Galant V6 Sport Cambelt Failure HELP

p.m.adams
21-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Only recently bough my V6 Sport Auto Galant and the cambelt has gone. My quetion really is how do i tell how much damage has been done? When the belt went there were no nasty mechanical bangs or anything and when i pulled up the engine was still running although abviously struggling to idle, again with no abnormal noises. Are these engines known for bending valves or anything with belt failure?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure where to start!!/Grrr

peter thomson
21-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Has the belt actually snapped as the engine would not run if the belt has gone or has it just skipped a tooth or two. If it has just skipped a couple of teeth you may be lucky that no damage has occured

p.m.adams
21-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure, I haven't had a real close look yet, am hoping to get the belt covers removed Wednesday. What would cause it to skip a couple of teeth, just a stretched belt or failed tensioner?

bradc
21-05-2007, 11:14 PM
WRD would be the best people to go and see, they will be a lot cheaper than mitsi as well!

Kieran
21-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Depends on the age/condition of the belt - could be either I guess. Also depends on how the tensioner was set the last time it was changed, if it has been - get the preload on the tensioner pulley wrong and it can cause problems.

These engines are an interferance design, so if the belt was totally shot it would have bent something and I doubt it would run, so you may be lucky and it's only jumped a tooth or two.... Good luck!!

peter thomson
21-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Either of those I would think or the water pump failing . There will probably other info from other club members along soon. Welcome to the club by the way /Welcome2

too slow

p.m.adams
21-05-2007, 11:24 PM
I guess if the belt is still intact the best thing to do would be try lining up the timing marks and see where everything is sitting?

pitslayer
22-05-2007, 03:12 AM
a car wont run bad after skipping one tooth, 2 teeth or more than you have to worry.....as precaution dont start or attempt to start the car.....as said id find a way to trailer or get the car to wrd

richy rich
22-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Only recently bough my V6 Sport Auto Galant and the cambelt has gone. My quetion really is how do i tell how much damage has been done? When the belt went there were no nasty mechanical bangs or anything and when i pulled up the engine was still running although abviously struggling to idle, again with no abnormal noises. Are these engines known for bending valves or anything with belt failure?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure where to start!!/Grrr
So what actually makes you think the belt has gone.

Eurospec
22-05-2007, 08:51 AM
If the car was still running, there is no doubt that the belt hasnt snapped, but like Rich says what makes you think its a belt problem?

If the tensioner fails, or one of the idler pulleys, or even the water pump, it can cause the belt to skip. I have seen a car running with a 4 tooth skip on it, so dont be too dispondant even if it is the belt.

Cheers,

Ben.

p.m.adams
26-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi all, not had a chance to look at the car due to work commitments until recently, have had the belt covers on and the belt looks fine although it is lacking in tension. I am having a new belt and tensioner fitted this week and fingers crossed there will be no further damage anywhere!!!

BraindG
26-06-2007, 07:45 PM
fingers crossed!!

p.m.adams
07-07-2007, 08:16 PM
All good!!! New belt and tensioner fitted (£180 supplied and fitted) and running sweet again, guess I was very lucky!!!!!!!

Kieran
07-07-2007, 09:01 PM
All good!!! New belt and tensioner fitted (£180 supplied and fitted) and running sweet again, guess I was very lucky!!!!!!!

Lucky Man! Go and buy a lottry ticket! :scholar:

I-S
07-07-2007, 10:30 PM
What I want to know is where you got a cambelt supplied and fitted for £180...

Kieran
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
What I want to know is where you got a cambelt supplied and fitted for £180...

The Cambelt alone isn't a big job on the V6 as far as it goes - I daresay it takes less time than either then VR-4 or the 4 cylinder galants - There's only one sprocket per bank and there's no balancer shaft like on the 4 bangers.

p.m.adams
13-07-2007, 06:34 PM
It was just a local garage to me in North Wales. £100 inc VAT for the belt and tensioner and £80 labour for the fitting. That's me sorted for the next 54,000 miles (fingers crossed!!!)