PDA

View Full Version : Steering boot replacement

ztd
23-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi guys, first time poster here from the OZVR4 forums. I've got a Legnum Super VR-4 waiting for me in Japan, so I thought I'd pop over here and check out the UK scene - seems you guys have been doing it a bit longer than we have :laugh:

So, I have had the car inspected and it's pretty good all round. One thing that will need fixing though is the left "steering boot" as the inspection called it. It's broken and split in half. Heres a pic:

http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=79719_untitled_122_876lo.jpg

This is one thing I've not done before. Is it hard to do and do I need a genuine Mitsubishi boot to replace it or is there a cheap substitute? Hopefully it hasnt let too much junk into the joint already...

mpau009
23-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Hello, and /Welcome2

There is a guide written by a member in the articles section, funnily enough on a SVR4 in New Zealand.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15109&highlight=osiris+guide

Thats the link, it seems fairly straight forward, however you'll probably need member access to see it.

I think there have been a few australians join up though the NZ committee ($30nz), best to give one of them a PM.

Subaru ETA
23-05-2007, 07:11 AM
its very easy to do, just need spanners pliers and a hammer. if you have basic mechanical skill youre sorted.

just remember how many turns you wind the rack end off, the is your toe adjustment

Gly
23-05-2007, 07:34 AM
not a gen mitsi part, there are suitible aftermarket ones,

had to do one on my ST, took about 30min, and the boot was $18nz

bradc
23-05-2007, 08:00 AM
There is an aussie vr4 forum already? url? One thing you want to be careful of it that the auto transmission is very fussy on what oil you put into it, dexron 3 is often used by mitsi dealers and is wrong, you want to use Mitsi's own SPIII, or better yet the Amsoil ATF.

As the other guys said it isn't much work at all to do it, so hopefully you'll get it sorted out in no time

ztd
23-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I had an inkling that it would be quite simple, but I'd never done it so thought I'd ask some advice. I am reasonably good with a spanner so this is something I will definitely try myself. As I said the car is still at least a month away but I'll update here as soon as I've done them (will do the other side same time).

btw, for those interested our Aussie forum is www.ozvr4.com

see you there!

edit: Yeah that article was locked, I guess I need to be a member. Anyone want to find it for me? ;)

ps - Big hello to all the NZ guys, you really have some nice cars!

Munta
25-05-2007, 03:32 AM
just a quick Q reguarding steering boots, wot would cause 1 to split within 7 months of a previous 1 being replaced?... basicly ive replaced 1 (not hard todo) and 7 months later the same 1 has split again.

Gly
25-05-2007, 07:19 AM
crappy boot? boot being to short?

dickytim
27-05-2007, 03:44 AM
2nd on the crappy boot answer, no other good reason unless it was damaged during installation.

Subaru ETA
27-05-2007, 11:27 AM
3rd the crappy boot..was it one of those dumb ones that are split in half and glue it together?