You have another PM.

I'm talking fronts and rears!

Kieran
23-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Sounds like time to fit some proper pads now then :) ...you have PM back :D

Cheers
Ian

Cheers Ian - PMed back...

Oh, and to clarify, regarding the redstuffs, my comment about lack of bite and 'numb' feeling was when they are cold - I forgot to mention that!/pan

White Lightning
23-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, and to clarify, regarding the redstuffs, my comment about lack of bite and 'numb' feeling was when they are cold - I forgot to mention that!/pan

Really ... I don't get that ... :inquisiti

BraindG
23-05-2007, 10:36 PM
you have pm

Kieran
24-05-2007, 06:46 AM

Yeah, it's only when they're cold - soon as they were hot, they were fine, but first couple of stops required more time/distance/pedal pressure than I was comfortable with.

psbarham
24-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Yeah, it's only when they're cold - soon as they were hot, they were fine, but first couple of stops required more time/distance/pedal pressure than I was comfortable with.

you'd better get used to trying to get comfortable with your chin on the dash board then

Kieran
24-05-2007, 06:50 AM
you'd better get used to trying to get comfortable with your chin on the dash board then

Carbotechs bite well from cold, do they?

thetyrant
24-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Carbotechs bite well from cold, do they?

Im sure Paul will confirm but our pads work well after the first press, not that the first press is bad its just not as good as the second press onwards :D

I know what you mean about the redstuff mate but to be fair they are not even in the same league as im sure you are going to find out ;)

Cheers
Ian

thetyrant
24-05-2007, 07:27 AM

Quality comment /haz ...might use that in the next advert /lol

Cheers
Ian

Kieran
24-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Ian - Are the rears the same as the EVO 4 too?

The EBC part number if you need to cross reference is: DP3738C

Cheers
K

thetyrant
24-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Ian - Are the rears the same as the EVO 4 too?

The EBC part number if you need to cross reference is: DP3738C

Cheers
K

Looking at the Camskill site i would say yes although they have a different part number than you quote, may well be the same part though have a look see if the shapes correct.... still learning on these Galant rear brakes!

Cheers
Ian

bradc
24-05-2007, 08:26 AM
three questions:

do they make brembo's squeal at all? My brembo's don't squeal at all at the moment, and I'm very happy with that.

what is the price for front and rear pads for brembos (evo5-9) with shipping to NZ?

If you don't ship to us, does anyone in NZ or Aussie sell them?

Kieran
24-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Looking at the Camskill site i would say yes although they have a different part number than you quote, may well be the same part though have a look see if the shapes correct.... still learning on these Galant rear brakes!

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,

Just checked that myself.... mmmmf! They are *almost* identical. It might also explain why my rear pads have sat a little 'loose' in the caliper.....:inquisiti

Right.

the '3738c' pad measures 107x41x15

the '3987' pad measures 108x46x16

Both pads are the same shape. Also, the EBC website now lists the 3987 pad as correct fittment for the turbo models. 3738 is now only listed for non-turbos. I'm pretty sure that's changed.

Anyway. I think based on that, we should go with the 3987 shape as a cross reference pattern. And according to EBC, that is the same as the EVO 4 and non-brembo Evo 5 pad, no?

Just when you think you know your own brakes.... :book: :wall:

bradc
24-05-2007, 08:53 AM
yes Kieran, it should be the same as the evo 4 caliper

orionn2o
24-05-2007, 02:20 PM
are these new pads the nuts then??

i need some for my fronts.. to pair with the rossini disks.

how much we looking at??

pitslayer
24-05-2007, 02:22 PM
kieran you sure, that infact the polish hasnt melted off your disc ?

psbarham
24-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Quality comment /haz ...might use that in the next advert /lol

Cheers
Ian
depends on how much discount its worth :D

Im sure Paul will confirm but our pads work well after the first press, not that the first press is bad its just not as good as the second press onwards

Cheers
Ian

yeh when cold they are about the same as any other pad including oe stuff , but give them a prod or 2 and its hello dashboard time :0

abs on at 80 tonight with well warm tyres and red hot tarmac , try that with redstuffs , time for coilovers methinks :thinking:

bradc
24-05-2007, 08:49 PM
With my brembo's I can get the abs kicking in at 170kmh on good dry tarmac, and to be honest I wasn't even trying that hard. Thats with 3000km old 235/45/17 GSD3's as well!

psbarham
24-05-2007, 08:58 PM
With my brembo's I can get the abs kicking in at 170kmh on good dry tarmac, and to be honest I wasn't even trying that hard. Thats with 3000km old 235/45/17 GSD3's as well!
the mitsu abs is a tad over zealous at times , i wonder if it can be reprogrammed , any one know anyone who works with abs systems ???:thinking:

bradc
24-05-2007, 09:04 PM
the rear tyres were squealing, so imho the abs should have come in as it did

stuartturbo
24-05-2007, 09:06 PM
the mitsu abs is a tad over zealous at times , i wonder if it can be reprogrammed , any one know anyone who works with abs systems ???:thinking:

I Can ask:thinking: but i dont think its poss at my place

psbarham
24-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I Can ask:thinking: but i dont think its poss at my place
cool , it doesn't need much to make it more usable , just stop it being so damn sensitive

SGHOM
24-05-2007, 09:39 PM
you dont need expensive pads... just press the pedal harder. :scholar:

Isn't that right Barry ? :thinking: /rally

bradc
24-05-2007, 09:50 PM
there is nothing like approaching a 60kmh hairpin at 160kmh with your foot pushed to the firewall, hoping that dropping it into 3rd will slow you down a bit!

thetyrant
24-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Guys, im off to the MLR Spa trackday and Nurburgring trip from tommmorow so wont be online to answer questions etc until late next week, if you need prices or just want to chat about pads etc give Tim a call in the office on 01768 885000 and he will help you out... if you mention pads are same as Evo4 he will know what you are after, or he can ring me to check :)

Cya all when im back from abusing my XP10 shod Evo2 rounf the rollercoaster tracks of Europe :D

CHeers
Ian

Kenneth
24-05-2007, 11:33 PM

No offense to you or anyone who has brembos, but whats special about this?

with STANDARD brakes and $45 front brake pads (thats right, under 20 quid) I had the ABS working at well over 220 KM/h with GS-D3s

I also had the car pulling up fine from 170km/h with the brake disks glowing red hot.

Brakes don't stop your car, tyres do. bigger brakes just give better heat disipation and more braking torque on the wheels for the clamping effort. Brembos are only going to be worthwhile if you track your car. simple as that, for everything else you can get buy with uprated pads. (and decent fluid... but you need this for any brakes)

If you are driving on public roads to the point where you need brembos, then you shouldn't be on the road.

bradc
25-05-2007, 12:09 AM
I can't do that on my white car with stock pads though (narrower 215/45 tyres as well), whereas I can with the brembo's and their stock pads, so the brembo's are definately a step ahead in my book. I know what you're saying though.

SGHOM
25-05-2007, 12:14 AM
I will post a thread this w/e regarding brakes. If I get time. :thinking: but your all wrong. /pan

Kenneth
25-05-2007, 12:18 AM
I can't do that on my white car with stock pads though (narrower 215/45 tyres as well), whereas I can with the brembo's and their stock pads, so the brembo's are definately a step ahead in my book. I know what you're saying though.

I'll agree that the standard pads on the VR-4 are crap and will not lock up the wheels at decent speed. However for $45 you can have pads that will.

The issue that I have is when you attribute the braking performance with having brembos, when in fact you are able to get the same braking performance without.

CANDEE
25-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I'll agree that the standard pads on the VR-4 are crap and will not lock up the wheels at decent speed. However for $45 you can have pads that will.

What pads are you talking about??

SGHOM
25-05-2007, 12:21 AM
However for $45 you can have pads that will.

almost exactly my point. but I'll post about that later Ken. :iloveyou:

Kenneth
25-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I will post a thread this w/e regarding brakes. If I get time. :thinking: but your all wrong. /pan

I severely doubt there is anything that you know about brakes that I do not.
Unfortunately its a large subject and you will be writing for hours to cover any reasonable portion of the variables involved, which is why I have not as yet posted up about brakes.

Nor am I wrong, incomplete perhaps, but not wrong. You may argue my statement that you don't need to upgrade the disks/calipers unless you are tracking, but in the end you will find that I am right again.

Perhaps ill write my own thread regarding brakes.

(having a grumpy day sorry /pan)

Kenneth
25-05-2007, 12:27 AM
What pads are you talking about??

brand was silverline plus. cant remember the code though. dickytim should remember, he got some also and is very happy with them.

SGHOM
25-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I severely doubt there is anything that you know about brakes that I do not.

)

wanna bet ?? :thinking:

Kenneth
25-05-2007, 12:31 AM
wanna bet ?? :thinking:

Historical experience, perhaps. Technical knowledge, no.

Yep, willing to bet.

SGHOM
25-05-2007, 12:34 AM
nothing to do with either of the above, It's how you use them.
I'll explain all another time.

bradc
25-05-2007, 12:36 AM
remember Derek is at least 3 times your age :)

....so you're probably right ;)

I think the conclusion that most of us already have come to is that for normal road use, better pads will do the job for almost everyone, and that the main reason most people upgrade to brembo's is for looks. I know that at least 50% of my decision was based on looks.

pitslayer
25-05-2007, 12:36 AM
with a knoife?

Kenneth
25-05-2007, 12:40 AM

Feel free to explain at your leisure, I will be pleasantly surprised if I learn anything and will let you know on that front.

Because you are so vague on exactly what you are talking about, it is hard to make a positive statement either way at this point... as again, how you use brakes is a very large topic that is related to what driving you are doing rather than any particular 'best way'

Even in top race car drivers (driving in the same class), the way the brakes are used differs quite significantly.

SGHOM
25-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Ken... just chill :speechles
It's not rocket science...... only a forum /pan

pitslayer
25-05-2007, 12:46 AM
brakes are for the weak of mind anyways, dont even know why cars come with them, there not needed

bradc
25-05-2007, 12:51 AM
only for slow v6 owners like yourself, high performance car owners like ourselves need to stop from above 20mph :) Just kidding - I know your manual v6 is quite quick :)

Kenneth
25-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Ken... just chill :speechles
It's not rocket science...... only a forum /pan

I am not heated Derek, merely willing to challenge statements of knowledge when no evidence is used to back them up. Especially when you first state that others are wrong.
As I am not new to this forum, I perceive that this is just your way... however it is not mine, mine is to challenge statements and demand a good explanation. If I disagree I will challenge and give my reasons. It is not because I am getting heated, it is just how I work.

Gets me in trouble at work though... lol

VR4 MAD
25-05-2007, 01:38 AM
what is the price for front and rear pads for brembos (evo5-9) with shipping to NZ?

If you don't ship to us, does anyone in NZ or Aussie sell them?

Brad, did you ever get an answer the these questions...............or did it get lost in the....."he's wrong, I'm right" postings /pan /Grrr

Cause I'm interested as well............if the cost isn't too over the top.

/toycar

bradc
25-05-2007, 01:55 AM
ok cool, two sets then. no idea on price yet.

pitslayer
25-05-2007, 02:15 AM
my car quick? its lacking two turbos....the manuals do have the better pull off thow through the gears

Spirit
25-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Guys, im off to the MLR Spa trackday and Nurburgring trip from tommmorow so wont be online to answer questions etc until late next week, if you need prices or just want to chat about pads etc give Tim a call in the office on 01768 885000 and he will help you out... if you mention pads are same as Evo4 he will know what you are after, or he can ring me to check :)

Cya all when im back from abusing my XP10 shod Evo2 rounf the rollercoaster tracks of Europe :D

CHeers
Ian

Hi Ian

I know you PM'd me a price for some for my Kads that were dearer than the DS2500's I currently use. If you spot me at the Ring/Spa please come and talk to me - maybe you can convince me to move away from the DS's ?

Pete

thetyrant
25-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Ian

I know you PM'd me a price for some for my Kads that were dearer than the DS2500's I currently use. If you spot me at the Ring/Spa please come and talk to me - maybe you can convince me to move away from the DS's ?

Pete

Hi Pete,
No problem i will have some of the XP8 to suit your calipers with me ;)... come and say hi if you spot me first im in the White Evo2 reg L587UBR, see pics on below link all freshly cleaned and ready for the trip :)

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154741

Cheers
Ian

Beastlee
25-05-2007, 06:33 PM
you dont need expensive pads... just press the pedal harder. :scholar:

Isn't that right Barry ? :thinking: /rally

I agree, my DS2500/National combo stops me well enough withou fade, however Carbotech pads will be my replacements for sure!

thetyrant
25-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Its always funny seeing previous DS2500 customers come back after bedding inour XP8...or even the P+ for that matter, not a bs sales pitch it really is night and day different in terms on bite, pedal feel and control/modulation etc :)... the ds2500 does stop the car fairly well but it just doesnt feel like its working and imo doesnt inspire confidence on the brakes....some people love them though and brakes are a personal thing so everyone like different things.

Right must get the car loaded up etc ready for early dart tommora :D

Cheers
Ian

Brunty
26-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Its always funny seeing previous DS2500 customers come back after bedding inour XP8...or even the P+ for that matter, not a bs sales pitch it really is night and day different in terms on bite, pedal feel and control/modulation etc :)...

Better bloody had be after what I've just spent with Tim!

;)

psbarham
26-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Better bloody had be after what I've just spent with Tim!

;)
good man , you will love them , actually can you go fast enough to bed them in ?:thinking: , I'm a dead man aren't i ?/pan

Kieran
26-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Just spoken to Tim and placed my order. Tim's one of those people who's a pleasure to deal with. Very knowledgeable and very helpful - I've gone with XP8 pads and he gave me some good advice on choosing a good disc to match. I was very impressed.

Should be here for fitting next weekend, so we'll see what happens next!:afro:

caishanvr4
26-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Just spoken to Tim and placed my order. Tim's one of those people who's a pleasure to deal with. Very knowledgeable and very helpful - I've gone with XP8 pads and he gave me some good advice on choosing a good disc to match. I was very impressed.

Thats all well and good but did he give members a DISCOUNT???

stuartturbo
26-05-2007, 08:09 PM

If they are the same bedding procedure it's great/rally
http://www.tqs.btinternet.co.uk/bedin.htm

Kieran
26-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Thats all well and good but did he give members a DISCOUNT???

There was no member discount per-se Paul, however if you order fronts and rears together you get about £10 knocked off anyway. I've ordered both front and rear.

Stuart - Yes, it's like that, Tim went through it with me over the phone. That'll be interesting then!:inquisiti

stuartturbo
26-05-2007, 08:59 PM
when i fitted mine I did them at work in my 30min lunch break and work mates who are car orientated could not believe the bedding procedure when i said it would be done in 45mins
The hardest part was finding the road to do it on LOL

thetyrant
30-05-2007, 10:18 PM
You will love them im sure :D

Just got back from 1800 mile track misson and it was superb, my XP10 brakes performed perfect on the Ring and around Spa... even on my tiny little Evo2 brakes.

Cheers
Ian

bradc
30-05-2007, 11:08 PM
considering the amount of power you've got, thats quite impressive.

Did they ever fade?

Also do you find the XP8's tend to squeal on evo brembo's?

MPBVr4
31-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Also do you find the XP8's tend to squeal on evo brembo's?

Yes, unfortunately - it may have something to do with the discs I've got on which are National's not drilled / grooved. Great stopping power though.

Kieran
02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Right - I have fitted and bedded in the Carbotechs today.

No comment on performance as yet, because I've only just finished bedding them in and you have to let them cool down completely to finish the heat treatment process.

I've swapped my original front Rossini Discs (which cracked on track) with a fresh set, however this time I asked for them to be custom made with no drilling and extra grooves.:afro:

I will update with results soon.

What I can say so far is that Tim kept his word - I ordered a set and despite short notice and also having none in stock when I called, the pads were with me on time - Great service.:iloveyou:

psbarham
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Right - I have fitted and bedded in the Carbotechs today.

No comment on performance as yet, because I've only just finished bedding them in and you have to let them cool down completely to finish the heat treatment process.

I've swapped my original front Rossini Discs (which cracked on track) with a fresh set, however this time I asked for them to be custom made with no drilling and extra grooves.:afro:

I will update with results soon.

What I can say so far is that Tim kept his word - I ordered a set and despite short notice and also having none in stock when I called, the pads were with me on time - Great service.:iloveyou:

get back out there asap ,and prepare to be amazed

Spirit
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Looking forward to hearing an update on this K. I didn't get chance to catch up with Ian at Spa but I did see him hurtling around

thetyrant
03-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Looking forward to hearing an update on this K. I didn't get chance to catch up with Ian at Spa but I did see him hurtling around

Yes was a shame we never caught up for a chat Pete :(... great day though once it dried up :)...... here a link to a few incar vids i took of the day if anyones interested :) http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1495264#post1495264

Cheers
Ian

Kieran
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, because I'm still bedding in my tyres, I haven't really pushed them hard yet. However first impressions are as follows:

They do need warming up before they're at full efficiency, however they have considerably better bite at shopping-trolley speeds than the redstuffs did.

I did do one medium-ish brake from 60-10mph today (just to see what happened) and the result surprised me - I'd not warmed the pads up as such, just a few applications for bends and junctions, etc.... And the car just hunkered down and slowed much faster than I've been able to before. It's a very subjective thing to judge, but certainly seems like there's a lot more braking power there, and as the pads settle to the discs they seem to be getting better and better. I'll report back when there's some more miles on them - bear in mind that I've followed the 'Bed-in' process, but only done about ~25 miles since.

One slight comment - and I hasten to add that this is a comment not a complaint, is that there is a little bit of noise as the car rolls to a stop under light pressure - however, it's not squeal. It sounds like there's a canary in each caliper twittering away, but it's very slight and seems to be clearing out with mileage.

Overall, I reserve final judgement untill I have done a good few miles with them, but I currently feel that they were worth the expense.

Spirit
03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Sounds promising Kieran. I may well consider a change when the current DS2500's reach expiry.