PDA

View Full Version : Bang! When tyres go bad....

Brunty
25-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Just before my exit of the M42 the car developed a noticable and unpleasant wobble, I decided I'd pull into a layby on the quieter A444 as it was a few 100m away. No such luck, just exiting the roundabout and BANG!

Nick Mann will be amazed to hear that I was able to change the wheel without any assistance and in reasonably quick time!

Does anyone know how much Kwikfit will charge to repair this?

:scholar:

uploaded/1223/1180107334.jpg

uploaded/1223/1180107381.jpg

:speechles

Looks like I'll forking out for some rubber for the Evo IX rims earlier than planned.

Nick Mann
25-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Feck! Was the pressure okay? Can you see the cause of a puncture? Not a cheap tyre to be giving up like that.... :inquisiti Lucky you were not travelling at speed.

And I'm amazed!!! :P

thecustomer
25-05-2007, 05:23 PM
eeek

it looks like the rest of the tyre's in decent condition - unless something's cut that sidewall, I reckon Bridgestone would want to have a look at it.

as Nick says, glad it happened at low speed

Will

Wodjno
25-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Feck :speechles

You is 1 lucky Dude.. Dude :inquisiti

I would get it inspected to see if it was a manufacturing fault /yes

Glad your OK :pimp2:

caishanvr4
25-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Ive got some needle and thread i can borrow you, kwik fit would charge abouta £5 to repair that...............
In all honesty glad nothing serious came of it and at least there was a warning before the tyre gave up the ghost!

Lillywotsername
25-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh My Word..... That is just scarey Steve. Glad you managed to stop without getting hurt, that could have been sooooooooo nasty.

Just a q though...... What is it with you and wheels atm???????? Your galant's bearings turned up today so that should be sorted for you this coming week Hun.

Nick VR4
25-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Dont thinks I would trust the tyre being repaired after that even if possible

Glad you are ok thought would have catastrophic at hight speed

Lillywotsername
25-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Dont thinks I would trust the tyre being repaired after that even if possible
I think he was taking the piddle Nick........

Alex
25-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Blummin nora! Glad it didn't result in an accident mate!

Nick VR4
25-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I think he was taking the piddle Nick........

LOL oh ok :oops:

Kieran
25-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Zoiks!! :toilet: /JawDroppi

Lucky escape there Steve! That could have been VERY not funny!:inquisiti

richy rich
25-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I wonder if the car being sat for so long contributed to this.

Glad your ok mate i bet you had a :5shots: or 2

bradc
25-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd definately be talking to bridgestone, if they admit fault you just need to pressure them into giving you 4 new tyres :)

As everyone else said, you're lucky it didn't happen at high speed, did the ayc lights come on?

Paul Beazer
25-05-2007, 08:48 PM
pffft! Glad that didnt happen at speed. Is the sidewall perished or worn? You say it had been sat for a while. How Long?

Brunty
26-05-2007, 12:05 AM
The reason I'm still here today is partly my tremendous mechanical understanding and partly my considerable driving skills! Ask Malcolm if you doubt my awesome vehicular control! I'd only attribute 10% of my survival to low speed.

I think the car was was effectively 'sat' for 6 months, might have been moved for access a few times, there in but most likely not properly driven in that time. In typical "I've got a new car and I'm really excited" mode I had't checked the tyre pressures since I received the car :thinking: I was just grateful there was a spacesaver and a jack in the boot (which I never checked either):thinking: :thinking:

Regarding the fault and taking this failure up with the manufacturer I will see what the tyre fitter has to say when I visit.

Constant single green AYC light for a few a few seconds which was unusual then red AYC fault light for a few minutes (had happened before so I didn't suspect anything other than switch/pump issues) then vibration, then bang.

Nick, Kieran, Richy Rich, Lillywotsertipple, Adam son of man and his dwarfish friend have all been near the car and so I've passed their details onto the policae just incase foul play is suspected. You ain't getting rid of me that easily.

Fortunately I was due to fit my Evo IX alloys and purchase new tyres for them, so was ready to spend a bit on rubber*.

SKOL

:sombrero: :beatnik2:

*Even more than I would normally expect to purchase in a calendar month.

WildCards
26-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Ever thought it might have something to do with the extra weight the car is now carrying? Mebbe the tyres had just had enough after a fortnight of carrying your lardy ar5e!

I know I know, pot, kettle, noir as they say in cheese eating country, it's only a joke FFS!

Brunty
26-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Ever thought it might have something to do with the extra weight the car is now carrying? Mebbe the tyres had just had enough after a fortnight of carrying your lardy ar5e!

Paul has pointed out that as an estate this is a lardy arse load lugger, hence I feel feel my girth (fnarr) is likely to be considerably within the specs for this vehicle.

I know I know, pot, kettle, noir as they say in cheese eating country, it's only a joke FFS!

Joke? So where is the punchline?

When's your BBQ chubby?

SKOL

:sombrero: :party2:

WildCards
26-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Paul has pointed out that as an estate this is a lardy arse load lugger, hence I feel feel my girth (fnarr) is likely to be considerably within the specs for this vehicle.

Joke? So where is the punchline?

When's your BBQ chubby?

SKOL

:sombrero: :party2:

Tomorrow night, but it's only for people I like or parents.

...which probably means my folks will be here and none of the people I like.

no, seriously though, when we can guaranteee the weather on a weekend i'll be filling my 5ltr jerry can with petrol mate don't you worry, and buying half a cow but not from a forecourt obviously.. unless JC rolls in with one attached to his roof or summink, but even then i'd only give him like a tenner for it...anyway i'm rambling.

Spirit
26-05-2007, 04:10 AM
OMG Steve you are sooooo lucky ! What a shocker.

djb160
26-05-2007, 09:25 AM
AYC has a red light??!!!

bradc
26-05-2007, 09:30 AM
there is a red warning light that comes on when you first start the car.

psbarham
26-05-2007, 10:43 AM
you lucky lucky bastard , could have been very nasty if you had been driving like the stig as normal :thinking: , time to buy yourself a lottery ticket me thinks

colVR4
26-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Similar thing happened to me on the way to Basel in Switzerland over Easter. The tyre went flat and then the inner wall blew out. Was this one of the rears? I am wondering if it is due to the rear camber and the tyre runnning on the inside rim slightly!!!

Brunty
26-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Similar thing happened to me on the way to Basel in Switzerland over Easter. The tyre went flat and then the inner wall blew out. Was this one of the rears? I am wondering if it is due to the rear camber and the tyre runnning on the inside rim slightly!!!

It was the nearside rear tyre.

Lillywotsername
26-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Nick, Kieran, Richy Rich, Lillywotsertipple, Adam son of man and his dwarfish friend have all been near the car and so I've passed their details onto the police just incase foul play is suspected. [/SIZE]
Don't you go looking at me Mr Brunt........

Can't speak for the other reprobates though.........:thinking: :thinking:

Especially the 2 so called " Pure Breds".... very dodgey characters.:inquisiti

Kieran
26-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Especially the 2 so called " Pure Breds".... very dodgey characters.:inquisiti
:veryangry
Us pure bloods are above such base activity. I personally think this is a classic case of 'The Lady doth protest too much'.:|:| We've got a file on you, Lilly - Names, addresses, knicker sizes, amount of sausage in the sandwitches you serve, everything. Don't think you can escape us.:|

richy rich
26-05-2007, 09:04 PM
:veryangry
Us pure bloods are above such base activity. I personally think this is a classic case of 'The Lady doth protest too much'.:|:| We've got a file on you, Lilly - Names, addresses, knicker sizes, amount of sausage in the sandwitches you serve, everything. Don't think you can escape us.:|
/haz /haz /haz /haz

amsoil
26-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe I'm totally wrong but it looks like the tyre was underinflated and by some. The continuous flexing of the tyre wall produces heat and weakens it. When the cords go it produces a bulge (perhaps the vibration ) and then finally enough is called and it gives up big league. Of course it could be a faulty tyre but that is so very rare. Just my 2 p's worth. So do check the old tyre pressures chaps and chapesses