PDA

View Full Version : Random facts......

Lillywotsername
26-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Just seen a thread like this on Japgirls and thought it would be a good one for us to have a crack at.

I think we all have some useless information taking up valuable space in the 10% of our brain that we actually use so why not share it......

Now this isn't a "I know more about cars than you" or " I can use wikipedia better than you" thing just really off the wall stuff....

Ok I will get it started.......

It is impossible to lick your own elbow
Pigs cannot look up at the sky
A raspberry is not one single fruit, it is a collection of drupelets
Elephants are the only animal that cannot jump

Wodjno
26-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Women will never be worked out by a man !

Man will never win an argument with a Woman !

Funkstar
26-05-2007, 07:57 PM
If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn white.

Donald Duck films were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

Chickens can't swallow whilst they are upside down.

Welshmen are the most well endowed in the world. :evilgrin:

Nutter_John
26-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Welshmen are the most well endowed in the world. :evilgrin:

Just ask any sheep and they will tell ya :P

Brunty
26-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Babies have more bones than adults.

SGHOM
27-05-2007, 12:17 AM
If you rub garlic on the sole of your foot, within an hour you'll have bad breath. :thinking: :speechles

Brunty
27-05-2007, 12:22 AM
If you rub garlic on the sole of your foot, within an hour you'll have bad breath. :thinking: :speechles

If you've just rubbed garlic on your feet and now have bad breath, washing your feet in hot soapy water will not improve the smell of your breath!

Funkstar
27-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Just ask any sheep and they will tell ya :P

That's my only source of information. Gotta get it from somewhere./pan

Alex
27-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Your foot is as long as your arm from your elbow to your wrist
Your thumb and your middle finger form the exact circumference of your wrist
Flamingos are only pink because the food they eat - in the wild this comes naturally from the shrimp they feed on, and in captivity pink dye is added to their food.

SGHOM
27-05-2007, 03:59 PM
The only other mamal, apart from humans, to have sex for pleasure, is the dolphin ! :afro:

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Lozenge ryhmes with Orange :D

A Elephant has over 60,000 muscles in it's trunk !

The dot over a letter "i" is called a "Tittle"

The volume of the Earth's moon is the same as the volume of the Pacific Ocean.

The longest place-name still in use is Taumatawhakatan- gihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukup okai- whenuakitanatahu, a New Zealand hill.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur

Alex
28-05-2007, 04:50 PM
The strawberry is the only fruit that has its seeds on the outside

Sharks can't get cancer

Kieran
28-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Sharks can't get cancer

Really?! I wonder why? :speechles

Alex
28-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Really?! I wonder why? :speechles

Can't remember, but I watched a documentary about it once - they are obviously doing quite a lot of research on it to see if they can replicate the relevant part of the sharks dna to deal with cancer in humans.

Also, some people can't get HIV / Aids. I wouldn't want to chance it though.

I-S
28-05-2007, 06:35 PM
If you keep a pig on its back it will die. The internal organs are held in place by gravity and putting it on its back they all fall out of place and it haemorrages.

Brunty
28-05-2007, 07:44 PM
The only other mamal, apart from humans, to have sex for pleasure, is the dolphin ! :afro:

Don't believe this (Monkey Wan* returned 42 results on YouTube ;)), there is a well documented evidence that the Bonobo indulges in casual sex and at a big cat sanctuary in SA I saw two Jaguars going at it in a fashion that would be hard to describe simply as procreation.

The complete opposite to this life-or-death struggle must be the casual sex practised by certain apes. We're not talking about the human species, but a close relative, the bonobo, a type of chimpanzee. Bonobos have perfected the art of casual sex. There's nothing like a little intercourse for breaking the ice. Bonobos do it on every possible opportunity, without any restrictions on gender, age or even family ties. It's the normal bonobo way of saying hello. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A22547838)

Other interesting facts gleamed from that page (but somewhat against the rules of this thread):

1. Dolphins societies have thriving homosexual communities.
2. In the case of bees, the queen bee may pull the sperm-transferring member out of the male and store it inside her for safe-keeping, so that she doesn't need to mate again for a long time. The male dies of being disembowelled. Women!
3. Slugs, who are also hermaphrodites, will sometimes bite off their partner's penis, to force the partner to take the female role in the mating. This practice is known as 'apophallation'.
4. Duck rape - shocking on a number of levels :speechles
5. Ultimate sex - fusing of souls! Don't see that in the singles ads!

ANTHONY
28-05-2007, 07:56 PM
cows will walk upstairs but will not walk down

stuartturbo
28-05-2007, 08:03 PM
everything at 99p is not to make it look cheaper in the shop it's a TAX fiddle.
gets rounded down so shop gets 99p untaxed cash

psbarham
28-05-2007, 08:31 PM
If you keep a pig on its back it will die. The internal organs are held in place by gravity and putting it on its back they all fall out of place and it haemorrages.
sheep are the same , rules out any variety for the welsh and bern then ;)

WildCards
28-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Frogs cannot swallow without blinking

In the early 80's Detroit (I think it was) handed a key to the city to Saddam Hussein

George dubye bush is related to all other American presidents

A spiders silk is stonger than steel (for any given equal weight or something?)

My mum moans alot

SGHOM
28-05-2007, 09:54 PM
everything at 99p is not to make it look cheaper in the shop it's a TAX fiddle.
gets rounded down so shop gets 99p untaxed cash

you sure ?? :thinking:
I thought is was from 1st ww ? everything was a penny less than a round figure to ensure the till was opened to give the customer change !! [ money was tight in them thar days ! ] /pan
Thats my theory anyway :inquisiti

bradc
28-05-2007, 10:09 PM
just because you're old enough to remember it?

Crickle
28-05-2007, 10:36 PM

And a certain breed of monkeys too !

Brunty
28-05-2007, 11:08 PM
And a certain breed of monkeys too !

Norvern Monkeys?!

Crickle
29-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Norvern Monkeys?!

Hehe... cheeky! I'm norvern Thank you!

adam_shaw
29-05-2007, 02:05 PM
The distance from fingertip, to fingertip when you stretch your arms to the sides is the same as your height.

A

Alex
29-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else see a news story about a week ago about a shark that bred in capitivity - except there were only females in the tank, they had been in the same tank (without males) for 4 years, and prior to them being in the tank they had not reached sexual maturity?? :speechles

I didn't quite understand the biological explanations etc, and I checked several times to make sure the date on my paper wasn't 1 April.

I honestly didn't dream this.

Nick VR4
29-05-2007, 07:56 PM
If you turn a shark on its back in water it hypnotizes it

SGHOM
30-05-2007, 01:34 AM
If you turn a shark on its back in water it hypnotizes it

try that with a great white off cape town !! :thinking: :speechles :speechles

Crickle
30-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else see a news story about a week ago about a shark that bred in capitivity - except there were only females in the tank, they had been in the same tank (without males) for 4 years, and prior to them being in the tank they had not reached sexual maturity?? :speechles

I didn't quite understand the biological explanations etc, and I checked several times to make sure the date on my paper wasn't 1 April.

I honestly didn't dream this.

Hey thats really cool.. I think it might work in the real world too. All these teenage preganacies could be avoided. Hey, it could be the start of another random fatc in 5 years :)

djb160
01-06-2007, 02:24 AM
It goes something like this - according to known laws of physics bummble bees souldn't be able to fly. Someone correct this if it's not quite right.
Most of these can be found on ladies pads things or there wrappers, the mrs is always telling me these sort of facts.

Don't those monkeys/apes have sex as a way of sort of saying "hello how've you been"

KiwiTT
01-06-2007, 03:19 AM
The following statement is TRUE

The previous statement is FALSE

Therefore neither is TRUE or FALSE

bradc
01-06-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm sure there is a way to argue that one Richard, but I can't think of a way at the moment :)

Throbbe
01-06-2007, 09:52 AM
It goes something like this - according to known laws of physics bummble bees souldn't be able to fly. Someone correct this if it's not quite right.

One of those popular misconceptions I'm afraid.

For a long time it was thought that the wing surface of the Bumblebee was insufficient to provide enough lift. So it was said it was a mystery that how they could fly. It turns out that the physics of flight works somewhat differently at the scale of insects. Part of the lift comes not just from airfoil lift, like the wings of birds or airplanes use, but also create mini vortexes that add to the lift generated.