PDA

View Full Version : Dyno results... strange?!

MarkSanne
27-05-2007, 01:47 PM
After reading this thread:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23431

I was amazed of the 'low' figures shown. Just as I was amazed by my own dyno results a few weeks ago. My FWD V6 VR4 (all standard, except for the open air filter at the front/bottom of the engine bay) was measured as 255bhp. I was sooo dissapointed, because I knew the engine should have been 280bhp, but I secretly hoped for a bit more (perhaps the previous owner had done some tweaking he didn't mention to me), but no... just 255bhp at the wheels.

From what I now read, that isn't so bad after all? How come there is this gap of (in my case) 25bhp between factory listing and the actual result?

Si.
27-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about mine so much as it was later discovered their dyno calabration was apparently out, so a re-run is being held on saturday. If i remember i'll post up the results! :)

peter thomson
27-05-2007, 03:09 PM
255BHp at the wheels would be a good bit more than 280 at the flywheel I would think

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know whether you have a Pre or facelift car ?

But Facelift is 280ps =276bhp

Pre facelift 260ps = 256 bhp

And if you have open air filter that could account for some of the loss ?

Also what was the air temp on your Run ??

I was amazed of the 'low' figures shown. Just as I was amazed by my own dyno results a few weeks ago. My FWD V6 VR4 (all standard, except for the open air filter at the front/bottom of the engine bay) was measured as 255bhp. I was sooo dissapointed, because I knew the engine should have been 280bhp, but I secretly hoped for a bit more (perhaps the previous owner had done some tweaking he didn't mention to me), but no... just 255bhp at the wheels.

From what I now read, that isn't so bad after all? How come there is this gap of (in my case) 25bhp between factory listing and the actual result?

caishanvr4
27-05-2007, 04:08 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about what your figures say on the rollers marksanne. its all about how it performs out on the open road im more interested in as pezza found out on the way back from japfest /Devil5
Getting RR is a good indication on whether your upgrades do actually hinder or help your bhp figures.
Let the flaming begin if any :curtain: :P

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 04:20 PM
more interested in as pezza found out on the way back from japfest /Devil5

I heard you got your ASS Kicked by a Fat Ass Leggy /pan

caishanvr4
27-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I heard you got your ASS Kicked by a Fat Ass Leggy /pan

I think that you would find that i spanked his fat ass leggy after upping my boost and stuey is proof of that :scholar:
Pezza's lard ass leggy may put more out atw but on the open road its no contest and the bad news for you woody is your next in line :uhoh2: /lol

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I think that you would find that i spanked his fat ass leggy after upping my boost and stuey is proof of that :scholar:
Pezza's lard ass leggy may put more out atw but on the open road its no contest /rally

I think Derek's answer to that !!

Will Be "BO!!OX" :D

And the day you kick my Ass !! Is the Day you wake Up ;)

And i don't think thats gonna happen in a Hurry

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gazzor
27-05-2007, 04:42 PM
A dyno result of 255 ATW is around 300 ATF, manufacturers always quotwe at the flywheel figures as it is more, you can add roughly 24% loss for transmission on a 4WD car, so be happy, it is a good result

pezza
27-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Pezza's lard ass leggy may put more out atw but on the open road its no contest and the bad news for you woody is your next in line :uhoh2: /lol

Oh purleeeeze Caishan.... sort your fuelling and maybe cooler and only then would I only need to think about the high boost setting on E-01 :sleeping:

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 04:56 PM
A dyno result of 255 ATW is around 300 ATF, manufacturers always quotwe at the flywheel figures as it is more, you can add roughly 24% loss for transmission on a 4WD car, so be happy, it is a good result

Just realised they were Wheel figures quoted not fly /pan

And you only being 2wd as well.. Thats a good result :D

Kieran
27-05-2007, 06:14 PM
....measured as 255bhp. I was sooo dissapointed, because I knew the engine should have been 280bhp..

Thing is, I don't think your engine should have been 280bhp. Why? Because your engine has a Traction Control canister, which suggests the donor engine was from a pre-facelift automatic - these were de-rated compared to the Manual versions and only output 260bhp from the factory. So I don't think you've done that bad.:scholar:

caishanvr4
27-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh purleeeeze Caishan.... sort your fuelling and maybe cooler and only then would I only need to think about the high boost setting on E-01 :sleeping:

OMG
Just own up to the thrashing and stop putting on a brave face son. you know you was running close to 1.2bar on the run home. When will you lardy assed barge carriers ever own up to a beating.../duh :embarasse

Good figures by the way marksanne :scholar:

bradc
27-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Kieran, it depends on what ecu is in there, but yes I was thinking the same as you. 255hp at the wheels is quite good for a VR-4, thats 190kw which puts you right up there. Of course you've got a lot less drag in your drivetrain than us, a VR-4 would probably lose another 15-30hp from the 4wd system.

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 09:11 PM

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 09:12 PM

bradc
27-05-2007, 09:16 PM
....? wtf?

pezza
27-05-2007, 09:21 PM
OMG
Just own up to the thrashing and stop putting on a brave face son. you know you was running close to 1.2bar on the run home. When will you lardy assed barge carriers ever own up to a beating.../duh :embarasse

Good figures by the way marksanne :scholar:

OK Caish... :D whatever makes you happy :vogel:

would be good to get a value for the Vee's VR2 also on standard boost see what he gets ATW. Am sure we have some unmodified std boost manual VR4 results posted before. we could compare it against. 255 ATW is certainly very healthy I think esp with just the induction mod. :pimp2:

MarkSanne
27-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Thing is, I don't think your engine should have been 280bhp. Why? Because your engine has a Traction Control canister, which suggests the donor engine was from a pre-facelift automatic - these were de-rated compared to the Manual versions and only output 260bhp from the factory. So I don't think you've done that bad.:scholar:

Yes you are right, ofcourse, that's it! Now I remember a topic on a dutch forum from a few years back that the previous owner posted and indeed he mentioned it being a donor engine from an automatic!

But... what is the difference between the engines of a manual and an automatic (besides the obvious 20bhp)?

PS. my car is not a true VR4, but a V6 'elegenace' model with a VR4 engine in it, Front Wheel drive, Left hand drive, manual gearbox. And I do not know the air temps on my runs on the dyno.

bradc
27-05-2007, 09:28 PM
the engine is identical, the ecu is slightly detuned, probably as a result of slightly less boost and more conservative timing.

MarkSanne
27-05-2007, 09:32 PM
the engine is identical, the ecu is slightly detuned, probably as a result of slightly less boost and more conservative timing.

Allrighty! So has anyone have a spare ECU from a manual VR4? :)

Or should I look really into the 'piggyback' ECU thing I've been reading a bit about on the forum? (Any suggestions are welcome ofcourse).

bradc
27-05-2007, 09:39 PM
the small difference isn't worth the money most of the time, especially if you're looking at a boost controller, fuel controller or piggy back ecu.

Wodjno
27-05-2007, 11:37 PM
OK Caish... :D whatever makes you happy :vogel:

would be good to get a value for the Vee's VR2 also on standard boost see what he gets ATW. Am sure we have some unmodified std boost manual VR4 results posted before. we could compare it against. 255 ATW is certainly very healthy I think esp with just the induction mod. :pimp2:

Andy got 258bhp at the ATF IIRC..

MarkSanne
28-05-2007, 08:37 AM
If he has 258, then my 255 are quite upto 'spec'... still would love to see 300 ATW figures. First I'll try boosting the turbo's and a piggyback ECU (and have a little hole in the exchaust fixed (damn lowered suspension/damn speedbumps). With turbo's on a higher boost, should I have a larger capacity intercooler? (if so: what's an easy 'bolt on' solution that still leaves room for more mods & tweaks?)

Wodjno
28-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Andy's was 258 ATF ! I would say he would upward of around ATF now :D