PDA

View Full Version : idle air controller/ stepper motor

EDD
27-05-2007, 03:31 PM
has any body got experience with changing an idle air controller/stepper motor? Ive tried doing a search on the site but havent managed to find any reference or pictures to identify its location. Does anybody have any ideas of where it is? Im stuck.

Gazzor
27-05-2007, 03:35 PM
has any body got experience with changing an idle air controller/stepper motor? Ive tried doing a search on the site but havent managed to find any reference or pictures to identify its location. Does anybody have any ideas of where it is? Im stuck.

It will be the bottom sensor on the throttle body

EDD
27-05-2007, 03:40 PM
i thought it might be that one. Ive taken the air box out to try to get in there. Not much access though.

Gazzor
27-05-2007, 04:16 PM
i thought it might be that one. Ive taken the air box out to try to get in there. Not much access though.

Take your thrpttle body off it will be easier, just need some gasket goo, hylomar or the likes when you put it back together

Physician
27-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Photo in Library here (http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/E_3.jpg)

EDD
27-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Nice one, thanks for that. I took it out and gave it a bit of a clean up then fitted it again cos my new one hasnt arrived from camskill yet. (£500 from Mitsubishi but only £85 from camskill) Will take it for a drive and see if the whistle has stopped. Does anyone know if a dodgy air idle controller/ stepper motor will give a TCL light and an engine light?

Physician
27-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Will take it for a drive and see if the whistle has stopped. Does anyone know if a dodgy air idle controller/ stepper motor will give a TCL light and an engine light?

Possible ......... however, suggest you look at THIS (http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/C_2.jpg) photo. See the grey 'canister' at top left (of center) with two black pipes coming out ......... make sure those black pipes are connected properly. Remove them carefully and reconnect - also check the connections at the other ends of those pipes.

EDD
27-05-2007, 10:49 PM
What is the grey 'cannister'? I'll give it a go. Thanks.

EDD
27-05-2007, 10:52 PM
I was havin a look around this area earlier on today when all of a sudden a pretty well toasted preying mantis (dead) popped its head out of an orifice in my bonnet. Must have been in there since the car left Japan at the start of 2005.

Subaru ETA
28-05-2007, 07:39 AM
the stepper motor will not put the engine light on.. i was told this by a dude at mitsi

EDD
29-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Photo in Library here (http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/E_3.jpg)

Is there a possibility that cross connection of the pipes feeding from the throttle body to this cannister and the black cylinder underneath could result in these warning signals? I have noticed on mine that the pipe marked B on th cannister connects to the black cylinder underneath instead of being connected to brass looking circular pot above the pot which is marked up with a B. Is this correct? (My techical jargon isn't quite up to scratch, sorry)

Physician
29-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Is there a possibility that cross connection of the pipes feeding from the throttle body to this cannister and the black cylinder underneath could result in these warning signals? I have noticed on mine that the pipe marked B on th cannister connects to the black cylinder underneath instead of being connected to brass looking circular pot above the pot which is marked up with a B. Is this correct? (My techical jargon isn't quite up to scratch, sorry)

Sheesh ........ sorry, don't know - richy rich??????? HELP!

EDD
11-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Take your thrpttle body off it will be easier, just need some gasket goo, hylomar or the likes when you put it back together

Where do you get the 'hylomar' from? Is this just a standard gasket sealant available for most motors or is it Mitsi specific?