PDA

View Full Version : Brake problem

MGV6
27-05-2007, 08:03 PM
When I pull over or park the car, when I pull the handbrake up and then push the lever to "P" the car rolls back a little bit as soon as I release the foot brake. It never used to do this but only started happening over the last 2 weeks or so. At first I thought it wasn't serious but today it nearly touched another car behind. I changed the front brakes pads and discs about 10 months ago, rear ones were ok.

I can't imagine the fronts being worn out, they look ok from what I can see unless the brakes are just not good enough?

Gazzor
27-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like your handbrake needs adjusting

Nutter_John
27-05-2007, 08:09 PM
since when did the handbrake operate the front wheels , and I bet when you checked the rears you just checked the rear pads and not the drum which the handbrake conects to

MGV6
27-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I checked the pad which I think is the front visible bit but I can't see the discs behind it unless I take the alloy wheels out which I don't know how to and even if I did, I don't have the tools or place to do them. The brake pads/discs were originally changed by Elite.

Gazzor
27-05-2007, 08:23 PM
The handbrake is in the hub if it is the same set up as the evos, you adjust it near the handbrake lever

Nutter_John
27-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep it's in the hub ( small version of a drum brake ) like on the evo's

Gazzor
27-05-2007, 08:33 PM
If you adjust it yourself be carefull of it binding lift the rear of the car and make sure the wheels spin freely with the handbrake off

KHK
27-05-2007, 08:46 PM
with handbrakes off AND push lever to P, car should not move a lot!!

MGV6
27-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I can't find it. I will let my local garage have a quick look at it tomorrow and see what they can do. I rather not but theres nothing else I can do at the moment.

KHK
27-05-2007, 09:32 PM
if u can wait for a photo , u would know where to adjust, shouldn't be difficult

Gazzor
28-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I can't find it. I will let my local garage have a quick look at it tomorrow and see what they can do. I rather not but theres nothing else I can do at the moment.

The adjuster is down the side of the handbrake, you push the bit of rubber out of the way and use a 10mm socket on an extension to wind it up, it is easier to remove the centre consul but not necessary:scholar:

MGV6
28-05-2007, 01:58 PM
found it, looks ok from what I can see so I don't think it needs any adjusting. It might be the rear brakes but I need it inspected by someone. Might take it to Elite again

Nick VR4
28-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I dont park up like that
Foot on Brake
Move to P
Handbrake up

So it could be the way you are doing it I have noticed this in the USA when people park up the car moves slighty maybe still being in D then you put in P is letting the power out so to speak
Does that make sense ????

KHK
28-05-2007, 03:22 PM
i'd do this way, foot on brake till complete stop, handbrake up, then move to P

MGV6
28-05-2007, 07:55 PM
i'd do this way, foot on brake till complete stop, handbrake up, then move to P

Yes, I always thought this is the correct way of doing it? Thats what my driving instructor always used to tell me :)

Kieran
28-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes, I always thought this is the correct way of doing it? Thats what my driving instructor always used to tell me :)

That's the way I do it too. That way, the handbrake's taking the weight, rather than the gearbox parking pin.:scholar:

MGV6
28-05-2007, 09:04 PM
That's the way I do it too. That way, the handbrake's taking the weight, rather than the gearbox parking pin.:scholar:

Kieran, when you are about to drive, do you put it in "D" first then release handbrake? I imagine this is the correct way of doing the opposite?

Kieran
28-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Kieran, when you are about to drive, do you put it in "D" first then release handbrake? I imagine this is the correct way of doing the opposite?

Indeed I do, and also, I leave it in 'D' unless I am stationary for a VERY long time, or about to park up or need to reverse. I don't put it in 'N' when I'm sat at a set of traffic lights for example - I just pull up the handbrake.

bradc
28-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I put it in N if I think I'm going to be stopped for more than a minute, other than that I do the same as Kieran.

KHK
28-05-2007, 11:21 PM
to drive i'd would step on brake, move from P to N, handbrake down, check road condition, if ok, move N to D and release brake and step on gas to go

if going to stop for a minute or more, i 'd move from D to N

if leave it in D for long long time , don't u think in the long term it isnot good to the gear box/torque converter?

MGV6
29-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I use N a lot in traffic.

Just wondering, by keeping it in D in long traffic (stationery), wouldn't that consume more fuel then if you were to keep it in N?

Paul Beazer
29-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I use N a lot in traffic.

Just wondering, by keeping it in D in long traffic (stationery), wouldn't that consume more fuel then if you were to keep it in N?

IF you leave it in D even when in stationary traffic it causes less wear to the gearbox than taking out of D, into N and then back into D again.

Back on topic!

To test whether your handbrake needs adjustment. Put the car in drive, leave the handbrake on and see if the car pulls away, if you need to rev the enginer / push the throttle to get it moving then your handbrake sounds ok. (DONT DO THIS NEAR ANY PARKED CARS / WALLS / OLD LADIES INCASE THE CAR TAKES OFF!!!)

To adjust the handbrake you should firstly set the pad adjustment in the drum, THEN adjust the handbrake cable adjustment in the centre console. You shouldnt just adjust the cable. Something to do with the mechanical efficiency of the drum brake.

Gurj, it may be the actual handbrake cable (one for each side!) is binding internally, mine siezed up last year, some dedicated work with some WD40 had it sliding smoothly again.

MGV6
29-05-2007, 08:16 PM
The old ladies nearly got run over!

:)

just kidding.

Na, it was running fine with the handbrake on. btw: don't that ruin the brakes though?

Paul Beazer
29-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Na, it was running fine with the handbrake on. btw: don't that ruin the brakes though?
You mean it didnt budge? Thats good then!
Trying to slow the car by applying the handbrake is the recommended way of bedding in new pads.
Bear in mind the Galant had two separate brakes on the rear.
The disks (which you can see) for the main slowing down not careering off the road when you get to a bend type stuff and the drums (the bit in the middle of the disk you cant see) for the handbrakey not rolling away on a hill type stuff. Both work independently of each other. Effectively 2 brakes in one.

Davezj
29-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Does anyone else have the situation that when the car is in P and the hand break on you can rock the car backwards and forward by grabing the wheel and turning it.

about 1/2 inch back and forth. Mine gives a nice squeak squeak on each forward and backwards movement.

the car will pull away if the handbrake is on.

I don't know why it does it. there is plently of shoe material still there.

any ideas

Dave

Paul Beazer
30-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Sounds like you need to adjust the brakes shoes. Also check the 2 cables to each wheel. I had a partially siezed one on mine, so it meant one side was doing most of the work!