PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, FTO owner here :O

yumyum
28-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a member of the FTO owners club, and I own a limited edition CoTY 96 FTO GPX. At the moment I'm looking to change to a Galant VR4, but I just have a few questions for you guys if you can help me out!

1) Do you have a 'club insurer'? I am currently with sky, but being 20 with 2 yrs NCB means its fairly steep =).

2) What kind of fuel consumption do you regularly get? For a full tank on my FTO (it's around £50 of super unleaded) i can push 320-350 miles on the motorway, when I'm being good.

3) I'm having trouble finding nice examples - the only one I can see is from Keyleigh motorsports. Does anybody reccomend any importers? I'm looking to spend up to £5500, ideally latest facelift.

Thanks guys! I'll leave you some pics of my current car.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5975/dsc00264ra6.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2867/dsc00265bu4.jpg

MPBVr4
28-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Firstly welcome to the club /Welcome2

Nice looking FTO you've got there.

A lot of members on here use SKY with good results others use
Lifesure, Adrian Flux and Paceward.

Fuel consumption is about 24mpg if you're being good and low teens when you
enjoy yourself.

Have a search in classifieds there are plenty of known cars there in particular
"Bruntys" face lift "V" reg one, excellent car and good value.

Clicky : http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/Classifieds/showproduct.php?product=33&sort=1&cat=2&page=1

Gazzor
28-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a member of the FTO owners club, and I own a limited edition CoTY 96 FTO GPX. At the moment I'm looking to change to a Galant VR4, but I just have a few questions for you guys if you can help me out!

1) Do you have a 'club insurer'? I am currently with sky, but being 20 with 2 yrs NCB means its fairly steep =).

2) What kind of fuel consumption do you regularly get? For a full tank on my FTO (it's around £50 of super unleaded) i can push 320-350 miles on the motorway, when I'm being good.

3) I'm having trouble finding nice examples - the only one I can see is from Keyleigh motorsports. Does anybody reccomend any importers? I'm looking to spend up to £5500, ideally latest facelift.

Thanks guys! I'll leave you some pics of my current car.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5975/dsc00264ra6.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2867/dsc00265bu4.jpg

DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM KEIGHLY TRADE CENTRE or whatever the are calling themselves today/Grrr

Kieran
28-05-2007, 04:45 PM
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM KEIGHLY TRADE CENTRE or whatever the are calling themselves today/Grrr

Unfortunately, the feedback on these forums has not been good. Search for Keighley and you'll find the stories....

Lillywotsername
28-05-2007, 07:43 PM
^^^^^^ What kieran said about Keighley, I wouldn't touch them if I were you. However as Malc has said already...... Brunty's car is a peach, won't go far wrong there mate.

Oh and /Welcome

yumyum
28-05-2007, 08:27 PM
^^^^^^ What kieran said about Keighley, I wouldn't touch them if I were you. However as Malc has said already...... Brunty's car is a peach, won't go far wrong there mate.

Oh and /Welcome

Cheers for the quick replies guys. I agree what you say about keighley, looks dodgy! brunty's car looks awesome, in fact exactly what i'm looking for, but may be outside my budget. Plus i have to wait until july to buy due to insurance, and somebody will probably snap it up by then!

Hopefully sky will quote me happy, i've been happy with them in the past. i knowt he FTO Owners Club have them as an official insurer, meaning you get discounted insurance. Is it the same with clubvr4?

I can push 30mpg with the fto, so vr4 doesnt seem too much worse. I can imagine it's a bit more comfortable on the motorway as well...

Thanks again! nick

bradc
28-05-2007, 08:33 PM
It's possible to get 30mpg out of a VR-4, but 25mpg is more likely.

I like your FTO, is the yellow colour the same as the yellow that came out on evo's?

Kieran
28-05-2007, 08:42 PM

If your name is Brad - Otherwise, It's possible to get 25mpg out of a VR-4, but 20mpg is more likely.

Brunty
28-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Yumyum - (cool name, makes you sound like something out of a Bond movie)

Welcome to the forum, you'll get a tonne of advice from the guys on here, we worth have a good read before plumping for your VR4. The buyers guide under the resources tab is the ideal starting point.

Cheers for the quick replies guys. I agree what you say about keighley, looks dodgy! brunty's car looks awesome, in fact exactly what i'm looking for, but may be outside my budget. Plus i have to wait until july to buy due to insurance, and somebody will probably snap it up by then!

I *think* someone has recently bought from KTC and seemed happy enough - however as others have said they do seem to have a bit of a reputation throughout the Jap car owners forums.

Speak to you insurers wrt to July date - mine were surprisingly helpful when I tried to do something unusual. Obviously I hope my car is bought before July - but there are always deals to be done ;) so you're welcome to tell me you budget via PM.

Speak to Lifesure about VR4s they appear to be the un-official club insurers.

Enjoy.

BTW: Our neighbours used to have a yellow FTO, tatty thing didn't look anywhere near as tidy as yours.

bradc
28-05-2007, 08:52 PM
lol, when my purple car was stock apart from the exhaust I got 35mpg once! 25-30mpg is much more like it, although I still get about 28mpg with my 400hp vr-4 :)

yumyum
28-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I like your FTO, is the yellow colour the same as the yellow that came out on evo's?

It's not actually, it's 'dandelion yellow'. There were 300 car of the year FTO's built in the yellow colour, with Limited Slip Differential and a rear wiper. There's only 20 or so in the UK, but there are quite a few that have been resprayed the same colour!

Hi Yumyum - (cool name, makes you sound like something out of a Bond movie)

Welcome to the forum, you'll get a tonne of advice from the guys on here, we worth have a good read before plumping for your VR4. The buyers guide under the resources tab is the ideal starting point.

I *think* someone has recently bought from KTC and seemed happy enough - however as others have said they do seem to have a bit of a reputation throught the Jap car owners forums.

Speak to you insurers wrt to July date - mine were surprisingly helpful when I tried to do something unusual. Obviously I hope my car is bought before July - but there are always deals to be done ;) so you're welcome to tell me you budget via PM.

Speak to Lifesure about VR4s they appear to be the un-official club insurers.

Enjoy.

BTW: Our neighbours used to have a yellow FTO, tatty thing didn't look anywhere near as tidy as yours.

Lol, i can see myself as a bond bad-guy! As long as I get the trap door leading to the piranhas...

I'm certainly going to speak to Sky about the insurance, it's only July because i'm waiting for no-claims bonus, but I'll see what they say reference changing early. Once i've spoken to them I'll fire you off a PM. Plus I'll have to sell my own beloved, which is a shame, but i can't be doing any more 300 mile journeys hitting every bump, getting a massive headache from exhaust noise and not having the performance!

It's a pity people let the yellow ones go to rot : they're getting few and far between these days. Just one more question: there is quite a large difference in performance between the INCVECS II tip FTO and the manual, how is it with the VR4?

Cheers! nick

bradc
28-05-2007, 09:41 PM
in an FTO you've only got 4 gears in the auto and less power as well, so the problem is magnified. There isn't a huge difference in performance with auto vs manual, but the auto's need to be serviced regularly with the proper fluid or they can cause problems.

Brunty
28-05-2007, 09:43 PM
one more question: there is quite a large difference in performance between the INCVECS II tip FTO and the manual, how is it with the VR4?

Not much in it on the VR4 - search out the JTuner write-up (ClubVR4>ClubVR4 in the Press) - they conducted a test that showed the manual as accelerating faster, but the tip changing gear fast meaning that there was nothing in it 0-60.

Manuals are very rare mind and the majority won't have the AYC.

yumyum
28-05-2007, 09:44 PM
in an FTO you've only got 4 gears in the auto and less power as well, so the problem is magnified. There isn't a huge difference in performance with auto vs manual, but the auto's need to be serviced regularly with the proper fluid or they can cause problems.

It's the same with our boxes, i try to change the auto fluid every 8000 miles or so. The facelift fto has a 5speed, but it's only slightly better than the 4 speed box. You're right about the power - in low revs a reliant robin would be indicating to overtake :D !

bradc
28-05-2007, 09:46 PM
but a robin isn't likely to rev to 8000rpm either :)

yumyum
28-05-2007, 09:53 PM
but a robin isn't likely to rev to 8000rpm either :)

That does sound like a project for somebody..=)

bradc
28-05-2007, 10:13 PM
top gear?