PDA

View Full Version : Att : Those With Evo Clutches Fitted

Gly
29-05-2007, 09:58 AM
just a simple thread for those that have a evo clutch fitted....

just a few simple questions....

what evo was your clutch ment for?

what brand is it?

was it a complete evo clutch kit? or just parts, (pressure plate only?, clutch only? etc.)

what mods are needed to make it fit?

did you use the matching evo fly wheel? or use the stock vr4 one?

How are you finding the evo clutch, and have you had any issues since fitting and using it?

please only post if you have done this, and you know for sure,

no "i think" replys

just wanting to work out what fits for sure, with what mods needed if any?

Thanks

BraindG
29-05-2007, 10:07 AM
what evo was your clutch ment for?
Evo 8
what brand is it?
Spec Clutch (Spec Stage III)

was it a complete evo clutch kit? or just parts, (pressure plate only?, clutch only? etc.)
Complete Kit

what mods are needed to make it fit?
Spacer - Details here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96271&postcount=52)

did you use the matching evo fly wheel? or use the stock vr4 one?
As above

Gly
29-05-2007, 10:28 AM
thanks.... just added a question 6, if you wouldnt mind answering...
just trying to get it all in one thread... hopefully save me and others in the future that may consider a evo clutch

BraindG
29-05-2007, 10:43 AM
6. How are you finding the evo clutch, and have you had any issues since fitting and using it?

1 Word Fantastic! - I have thoroughly enjoyed the uprated clutch - it knocked 0.8 seconds off my 0-60 time getting it down to 5.2 on standard boost, it revs much more freely, gets to speed limit much quicker than standard clutc.

I have glazed the flywheel now, so i get alot of rubbing and sqweaking when pulling off, and soemtimes when changing gears - im quite convinced that this was my fault, I have never had a uprated clutch and as such drove the car as "normal", i.e. while at traffic lights i would ride the clutch (nonononono) - Ill be getting the same clutch shortly, but with the new one i will make sure i drive it correctly, drop it in gear asap, no riding the clutch.

Other than teh glazing no other issues to report.

To replace the entire SPEC Clutch/flywheel with todays exchange rate (they US based) is only £350 :pimp2:

valmes
29-05-2007, 12:29 PM
just a simple thread for those that have a evo clutch fitted....

just a few simple questions....

EVO7/8

Exedy Twin Plate MC

Complete kit

Spacer (10$ and one hour)

Light EVO flywheel was part of the kit

Works just fine! Great clutch!

Answers above

__ET__
17-07-2008, 11:19 PM
IS the spacer a custom job or can it be purchased already made?
If custom what are the dimensions

Gly
18-07-2008, 05:51 AM
custom, no idea

maxpain80
12-08-2008, 06:56 PM
how mutch is thickness of the spacer?

nismoevo
20-08-2008, 09:01 PM
is there any clutch kit who you can buy from any evo modell who fit without spacer, just bolt on..

Nick Mann
20-08-2008, 09:46 PM
No. The flywheel is a slightly different design. You could PROBABLY buy a friction plate and pressure plate from an Evo 7 or 8 and use it with a VR4 flywheel. I say probably because I'm not sure that has been proven yet, although I would be suprised if it does not work.

nismoevo
16-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Could you post the dimensions of the spacer?

so i can ask someone to make it :P

Gowf
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm in the same boat now after the weekend, so if anyone could post up the dimensions of the spacer required to make an evo7/8 clutch fit id be hugely grateful. Its definately time for carbon-carbon!

OnBoost!
19-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Mine has an Evo 7 clutch,but i don't know the specs as the previous owner changed it,but i have the worksheet...i'll have a look for it.

Nick Mann
19-10-2008, 10:27 PM
The spacer is required along with longer bolts. Then the best option will be a 5 speed Evo jobby. I can confirm that the 5 speed is closer to the right dimensions than the 6, although the 6 friction plate is closer in design than the 5. The flywheel and pressure plates are closest in design to the 5 speed Evo. The Evo pressure plate will mount to the VR4 flywheel (and vice-versa) but the release bearing will sit 5mm further from the engine than it should. Likewise, the Evo flywheel with the VR4 pressure plate will make the release bearing sit 5mm closer to the engine. There is probably enough play in the splines and slave cylinder to mean that this isn't a problem, but I can't say that for sure.

So - in summary - Evo 7/8/9 5spd clutches will fit best, but they WILL need the spacer and longer bolts to attach it to the crank.

Gly
20-10-2008, 07:35 AM
there is no difference in evo 5 and 6 speed clutches thou?
(so im lead to beleive) as the difference is in the gearbox narrower cogs in the 6,

there is an however an option for a thin disk, which is for other reasons than 5/6 speed,

anyway, would you know if a evo7 clutch disk would fit under a stock sized vr4 clutch cover?

Nick Mann
20-10-2008, 10:31 AM
There is a difference in evo 5 and 6 speed clutches. Mitsy list seperate part numbers, as do a couple of mainstream suppliers. (IIRC Exedy and Helix) Apparently putting the wrong type on regularly leads to premature wear and failure. Having said that, many manufacturers do state that their clutches fit both. I'll post up some photos later to highlight the differences.