PDA

View Full Version : newbie auto gearbox problem help!!

wazzo
29-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi, im very new to the club and cars so please be gentle!!
the story

i bought my car off ebay(first mistake) the poor thing had been abused by its prior owners, so not one to give up and replaced all wheel bearings most of the ball joints, cam belt, all oils including gearbox!!! as per Kierans procedure(thanks Kieran) ect ect.
last monday travelling to the airport with a boot full of suitcases and car full of lads going on a stag doo in malaga.
10miles from airport racing with my mate (new BM M5!!!!) also with car full, the gearbox stopped working, no clunk or bang but did start to shudder at low speed 30miles earlier!!, didnt think any thing of it, (maybe second mistake)
mega money later car and me home after stag doo, carried out several tests as per manual including pressure tests, only one problem noted there was slightly low pressure from the upper pressure test point of the torque converter the lower one was fine, dropped the oil which was still like new and at the correct levels.
thats is as far as i am and totally stuck, havnt got a clue what to do next, please help, ps: its a 97 str legnum

MPBVr4
29-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Firstly welcome to the club mate. Sorry here about your problems it is always
luck of the draw buying off eBay. Not too familiar with gearbox problems but
I'm sure somebody will be along with some advise for you.

Davezj
29-05-2007, 07:43 PM
weclcome to the club mate!

Sorry to here about your bad luck, the shudder at 30-40mph could be the torque converter, but you have alredy tested this. I am not too sure about the proceedure to use for testing it. you sound like you know what you are doing so keep up the good work and good luck.

Kieran
30-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Hmmm.... So, when the problem started you just lost drive, with no clunks, bangs or other noises?

Was the 'N' light flashing on the dashboard at all? Is it now?

When you try the car now, can you select gears? Any noises/what happens?

If you click the ignition on but don't start the engine and select a gear using the tiptronic gate, do you hear the gearbox solenoid(s) buzz as you select gears (you may need to get someone to select gears whilst you stick your head under the bonnet)?

Sorry, I know that's 20 questions, but sounds an odd one - just trying to paint a better picture of the problem.:scholar:

By the way, welcome to ClubVR-4, and I'm sorry that your first post is a tale of Woe! Just out of interest, was your car the silver ST-R that looked like it had been vandalised, or was it the one with a high mileage?

wazzo
30-05-2007, 08:18 AM
YEP no clunks bangs or rattles, just stopped driving, no flashing lights on the dash, when now selecting gear the res increase as you would exspect and feels as though its trying to move but you increase the revs, nothing, its very strange.
the solenoids buzz, ive check the input voltage to these and they are fine.
all gears select ok, just dont get it, very confussed!!!!

its white Kieran(W75) it was on ebay a month or so ago, the ball joint had popped out and the wheel enbedded its self into the wheel arch, still looking for a nearside sile trim in white if anyone has one???

Kieran
30-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Hmmm. So it's selecting gears okay - right, does the speedo increase even though the car isn't moving?

Does the gearbox change up all the way to top?

If it doesn't, then it's sounding like you've got the same problem that's a known issue on the UK-Spec Galant V6 (is your Legnum ST a front wheel drive or a 4WD?, I imagine if it's an STR it's a 4WD?). Basically the input splines on the torque convertor let go - possibly also damaging the input shaft too.

If, however, the gearbox appears normal, ie you can sit there with the engine on and it 'Drives' (Ie, the speedo goes up and the gearbox shifts into each gear as usual), then it could be a busted output shaft.

Regarding sill trim - Have you called Mo? From the top links choose resources, then Mini sites and have a look at GalantSpares.:scholar:

bradc
30-05-2007, 08:56 AM
If it is a snapped output shaft, have a look at this thread http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12148&highlight=loss+drive it fully describes the symptons. Note any part numbers in there probably won't work with your car.

wazzo
30-05-2007, 12:16 PM
the speedo doesn't move at all, the gears dont change up unless in tip then will only go into first and second as it should.
it is the 4x4
thanks for the tip concerning the trim, will contact mo shortly

SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE A BUSY WEEKEND AHEAD, REMOVING THE GEARBOX DO'H!!

Thanks to all for the help, will keep you in the know with progress

bradc
30-05-2007, 08:25 PM
sounds like the torque converter has died then, rather than the output shaft.

ralliart-type-s
30-05-2007, 11:02 PM
the heavy loads and the racing probs didnt help, in a car which has not been cared for then it is the torque conv, the shuddering is it giving way, dont get clunks with viscous couplings (as a general rule anyway)

I remember the car you bought mate, was going to get it myself and do a vr4 conversion on it but bought a cheap 306 dturbo instead!

wazzo
31-05-2007, 09:57 PM
emm 306 TD maybe i should of gone down that road!!! NARR!! i like this car, spent many happy hours tinkering with it, currantly spent more time on the ramp than on the road but hay
gives me a good excuse to get out the house and into the workshop

emmm VR4 conversion, sounds interesting, im i right in saying the only major difference is that the VR4 has the 2 blowers and the 5th gear???