PDA

View Full Version : Knock from steering

Davezj
29-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi to you all,

i have just replaced my track rod ends. due to a nocking in the steering.

but the nock has not been fixed.

it seems to be from the steering rack it's self on the drivers side only. are there any replacable part on the steering rack other than replacing the entire rack.

I can have theengine running with the wheels straight forward and rock the steering wheel from side to side and feel the nock. i can also grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and waggle it and feel the nock. it is not much of a nock but i know it is not right and i know it is there so it niggles me every time i drive the car.

any ideas

Dave

BraindG
29-05-2007, 10:51 PM
/Wyhy - im assuming you managed to get the locking nuts on the track rod ends sorted? which sides got that hard ass rod end on it?

Kieran
29-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Rather than the rod ends, it's not the rack ends maybe?:inquisiti

Beastlee
30-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Kieran, that would be my bet too. £39/side from Camskill.

Davezj
30-05-2007, 01:19 PM
yes that could be it.

I wasn't sure if they had any kind of jointing in them, to make the nock.

i have just look at them on camskill

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1402p7128&z=7327

and they do have a joint that could nock.

Anyone changed these on a VR4 before?

is it a rack out job or a do it in the car?

Dave

Beastlee
30-05-2007, 01:40 PM
You can do it with the car on axle stands. There's an article about doing the boot in the mebers area and the only addition is to unscrew the rod from the rack and replace with the new one. As far as I remember it's about 1-2 hours depending on how good you are at the job and the main thing to remember is to get the track rod end in the right place when refittig. Obviously cost is higher as it is always recommended you get the tracking checked afterwards.
I haven't done mine yet for lack of time but I'd be interested to know the outcome afteer you do yours as I'm not entirely convinced it's the rod at fault on mine.

pitslayer
30-05-2007, 02:32 PM
i did rack ends on mine and it went away and handled better, do you get a vibrating on corners at speed?
the knock came back on mine, did tie rods they were fubared, it went away, its starting to come back again, so if niether of them fix it, then its something else, mine seems to ride at stock hieght now but go over bumps like its severly lowered and it throws the car all over the place........think i might just set it on fire lol, or just get it sorted its gunna go on autotrader asap now once its safe to drive on the road
its going up the garage today anyway to have a look at it see what the hell is making the knocking noise now, and sort the brakes out, i think i know what that is now and why some mitsi come down with a constant judder on brakes even after replacing them several times....if i come back with anything i will let you know, i think theres something there dont know what yet

Davezj
07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
well i have ordered my rack end, now and we will see how easy or dificult it is to replace the drives side part. insidentally it was the driver side track rod that was the ass to shift.