PDA

View Full Version : Ayc - Help!!!

Nevman
30-05-2007, 06:21 PM
The AYC warning light comes off on my dashboard.
I've checked all the fluids, ABS sensors and verything seems to be fine. But the light still comes off but only and always when is very hot (I am currently in Poland and we have around 35C in shade!!!) or after hard driving.
In the morning or while driving steady, it seems to be fine but I didn't check whether AYC works or not cause I didn't want to push my luck.
I am a bit worried cause our local Mitsi garage can't help.

Please help. What it might be? Oil gets too thin and does not keep the pressure when is hot?

Should I be worried? Shouldn't I drive drive the car or can I drive back to UK safetly?
Maybe turning off AYC would make things safer?

Please help!

Thanks

Brunty
30-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Please help. What it might be? Oil gets too thin and does not keep the pressure when is hot?

Don't think you need to worry too much Nev, a number of members have reported intermitant problems in hot weather. The pressure switch and the pump (as well as the fluids obviously) degrade over time - I guess extreme operating conditions will highlight it sooner rather than later.

Nevman
30-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks Brunty. That calms me down a little bit.
I've spoken to RalliArt garage in poland and they have suggested to change the AYC oil to 75W140 which is more resistant to high temperature as they put it to their EVO's.
What do you think about it?

Cheers

Nick Mann
30-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I agree with Captain Obvious. Assuming that red AYC light sometimes comes on and sometimes doesn't, you should be fine to continue driving. I would take a guess that turning the car off and re-starting it will reset the AYC fault light.

So no problem

Nevman
30-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I would take a guess that turning the car off and re-starting it will reset the AYC fault light.

So no problem

It doesn't. When I re-start it as soon as I start riving it comes off almost instantly when is hot.
As said before, when car is cooled down and I drive calmly it is fine but when it's getting hot or drivng hard, the light comes off.

Paul Beazer
30-05-2007, 06:53 PM
It doesn't. When I re-start it as soon as I start riving it comes off almost instantly when is hot.
As said before, when car is cooled down and I drive calmly it is fine but when it's getting hot or drivng hard, the light comes off.
Sounds like the heat may be thinning the fluid out too much? Get the car back to cold old britiain and it'll be fine im betting!

RogerRally
30-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Or fitting an adjustable switch, so you can turn down the pressure required, so that the system doesn't shut down completly in the summer ( and tweeking it back to normal, when cools down).

Nevman
30-05-2007, 06:59 PM
That is also my guess but it's a bit annoying to have the light on the fuc... dashboard.

I'll check this thread tomorrow.
Thanks

BraindG
30-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Or fitting an adjustable switch, so you can turn down the pressure required, so that the system doesn't shut down completly in the summer ( and tweeking it back to normal, when cools down).
:inquisiti - manually adjustable? or electronically?

Kieran
30-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I've spoken to RalliArt garage in poland and they have suggested to change the AYC oil to 75W140 which is more resistant to high temperature as they put it to their EVO's.

NO! Normal gear oil will bugger up the clutch plates in the AYC diff.

MPBVr4
30-05-2007, 08:15 PM
:inquisiti - manually adjustable? or electronically?

Manually adjustable on replacement switches. Not adjustable on stock item.

MPBVr4
30-05-2007, 08:18 PM

I would have thought a more viscous hydraulic oil would be OK as this is only in the actuation circuit not actualy in with the clutch plates:inquisiti

edit/ ignore - talking tosh !

Nick Mann
30-05-2007, 08:47 PM
The gear oil shouldn't be causing a pressure loss problem, should it? The pressure problem will be in the hydraulic side - ATF. Not even in the clutch side?

So a thicker gear oil shouldn't help?

HJM
30-05-2007, 10:33 PM

Don't worry Kieran - I text Marcin back yesterday and told him that ATF (and as he couldn't get Amsoil to buy a litre of the best quality fully synthetic he could buy) was required and not gear oil !

Obviously, Polish mechanics don't listen like British ones /pan

H

Kieran
30-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Don't worry Kieran - I text Marcin back yesterday and told him that ATF (and as he couldn't get Amsoil to buy a litre of the best quality fully synthetic he could buy) was required and not gear oil !

H

Phew! Good call!:scholar:

philipbennett25
30-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I have just had this problem looked at. If you found that this didnt happen in the recent hot weather in the UK, and only happening in extreme heat, I would put up with it and see how it is once you get back to the UK. -You will have plenty of time to keep an eye on this as the weather here heats up.

Mitsubishi UK will most likely confirm the fault and then suggest you buy a 2000 quid replacement AYC pump. -Frankly I want a better explanation before I spend 2 grand. People here have pretty much covered it.

Faulty switch -replace, preferably with tuneable one.
Wrong AYC fluid (-not likely if you are fussy about servicing like me).
Faulty pump, pump/motor

I found myself wondering if there was some fluid cooling mechanism that could be used, insulating the resovoir etc.

Anyway Roger Binyon (Roger Rally) helped me out with my probs. Also can help with/ fit refurbed pumps and the switches. Though Guildford was local for me.

Nevman
31-05-2007, 06:38 PM

H

Heath has helped me a lot and thank for you very much for that mate. We've checked all the fluids with my mechanic and they were OK so we didn't need to change / top up them.

Kieran

I've phoned Polish branch of RalliArt and they didn't know the car and couldn't really help. Their only suggestion was to put 75W140 oil instead of 75W90 cause that's what they do with their evo's but I haven't done anything yet cause the weather has cooled down yesterday and everything seems to be fine. I didn't check wether AYC works properly yet cause I don't want to take a risk before we come back to UK.

Thanks philipbennett25 and all of you guys for your help and fingers crossed we'll come back safetly to UK.

Davezj
31-05-2007, 10:47 PM
AYC can be checked at very low speed
do 10-15mph done road and flick steering 1/4 turn hard right and then 1/4 turn hard left and back to the centre.
This should get 2 green bars on the dash easily.
I the AYC now works great after replacing the pressure switch and the diff oil and ATF in the clutch pack. i didn't need to do the Hydrolic actuator fluid (also ATF) accessed via the boot behind the trim panel but it is possible to DIY.
The whole job cost me £50.

Pressure switch from Malc. Can,t remeber his User ID but there are articles on doing all of these jobs in the library and he is in there.
would be worth while printing the articles and taking them to you garage in poland.

Hope this helps

Dave

Porky T
22-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Help please, my car is giving a bit of a knock on the back end and it has been traced to a pump under the rear bumper. What i need to know is what oils i need to put in the various locations, i read things earlier about AFT oil or gear oil - help to explain which is / are the best oils for this area of the car. A full specification section would be useful on the site giving all oils, plugs, filters and such to members.
I have also noticed that my engine light comes on a few times and automatically switches of the traction control. Trying to manually switch the trc does nothing and switching the car off doesn't help, but usually a few hours later it stays off for a while again.
I live in Botswana so the heat may be a factor as said earlier in this thread
But all sugestions would be greatly appreciated, as i don't want to replace things through my own stupidity

Throbbe
22-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Pressure switch from Malc. Can,t remeber his User ID
Dave

MPBVr4.

Had one with me in just over a day. Legend. /notworthy

My light still comes on very occasionaly, so will adjust the switch when I get a spare half hour.

MPBVr4
22-07-2007, 06:08 PM
MPBVr4.

Had one with me in just over a day. Legend. /notworthy

My light still comes on very occasionaly, so will adjust the switch when I get a spare half hour.

One turn of the screw anti-clockwise will cure it:happy: