PDA

View Full Version : modding my vr4

ingocaius
31-05-2007, 12:56 PM
ok whats the best mod that will yield the best gains at the lowest cost my legnum is totally standad 97 model cheers

Brunty
31-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Resetting the ECU may unleash hidden ponies FOC.

Using hi octane unleaded from then on will help make sure your getting the most from your car.

Now you can start sepnding some money!

White Lightning
31-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Bang for buck I think the best mod is a boost controller. I have not got one myself (yet) but you can get a far bit of extra power for very little money. Do a search, there is loads of stuff on here.

Personally, I started with the exhaust system and got a stainless steel exhaust with a larger bore than standard. Also, have now fitted a decat ... for track use only my lord ... :scholar: ... that has made a difference at top end.

Upgrading the front brakes is well worth doing. The standard brakes are not really up to the job tbh. I have done the front brakes (*) and I will also be upgrading the suspension before going for the extra power the boost controller gives.

* - EBC turbo grooved discs and ceramic red stuff pads. Just survived 8 laps of the Nurburgring and about 25 laps at Spa with not a sniff of brake fade :thumbsup:

White Lightning
31-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Resetting the ECU may unleash hidden ponies FOC.

Using hi octane unleaded from then on will help make sure your getting the most from your car.

Now you can start sepnding some money!

Good point on the fuel, Steve. I always stick to using V-Power which is 98 Ron /yes

Nick Mann
31-05-2007, 01:31 PM
There are plenty of sticky threads in each forum showing possibilities. In this forum, Kalles thread on possible modifications was so extensive, we made it sticky. Everyone will tell you a different route to take, but reading the links in that thread should show you some of the things people here have done.

It comes down to do you want performance, or chuckability. Power or safety? You can obviously do everything in the end, but you need to decide how much to spend on what and when. It is very difficult for us to do that for you!

bradc
31-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I think Wayne (White Lightning) has it dead on, do a boost controller, and an exhaust system, these will improve your performance quite noticibly.

djb160
01-06-2007, 12:12 AM
By mods it looks like we're assuming you mean go fast bits rather than handling fast bits?? and definitely change over to a better octane and reset the ecu. Can't do too badly with a boost controller. I wish I had waited and done more research before getting my exhaust. Too loud.
Tyres/wheels are another good option, tyres mainly.

d i c k i e s
01-06-2007, 01:49 AM
next thing i want to do is brakes... well it will be my first ever mod ill ever do to my car.

Subaru ETA
02-06-2007, 08:15 AM
By mods it looks like we're assuming you mean go fast bits rather than handling fast bits?? and definitely change over to a better octane and reset the ecu. Can't do too badly with a boost controller. I wish I had waited and done more research before getting my exhaust. Too loud.
Tyres/wheels are another good option, tyres mainly.

what sort of exhaust you got? a pit stop one? i got a 3 inch cat back done today. vey loud but i only got 1 resonator in it so might get another....

ingocaius
04-06-2007, 06:28 PM
always use high octane even though its a pain in the bum having to travel min of ten miles to top up and yeah its improving the performance tips was after but appreciate any help.
certainly agree brakes need uprating really dont seem up to the job in standard trim.
i know reading through no doubt every thing has been covered but i have two little monsters who dont give me a moments peace so time on here is limited lol.
only managed to find one exhaust dont want too noisy as its also the family car

djb160
14-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Don't go to pitsopt then by the sounds of it, though my kids loved the deep purr, me too coz it put them to sleep

White Lightning
14-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Don't go to pitsopt then by the sounds of it ...

I don't think there's any worry of that as he's in the UK /haz

ingocaius
18-06-2007, 10:03 PM
lol prob confused by the bishop auckland bit once ordered some stuff that ended up in auckland new zealand .

djb160
20-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Has anyone noticed that us kiwis don't tend to pay attention to important
details

White Lightning
20-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Has anyone noticed that us kiwis don't tend to pay attention to important
details

/yes

/haz