PDA

View Full Version : Eventful Plug Change!

Gowf
31-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Finaly got round to changing the plugs and surprise surprise, they certainly were not changed 9000miles ago when i bought the car as was stated!

Anyway nevermind.... but when changing them i discovered why my engine bay has been over the past few months graduly getting covered with oil. When taking number 3 lead off, i found the hole filled with oil. Obviously you have the initial panic, then thought id be aswell changing the rocker cover gasket ( which i had bought earlier to do the front bank) as its the only real place it could have come from.
Now the interesting bit. The gasket was undamaged, but every single bolt holding the cover down wasn't even finger tight! The same was true of the front bank.
So this just makes me wonder what else on the car has been replaced and not tightened? Or whether the vibration is really that bad too loosen everything!!

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

Oh... also found that the front turbo oil seal is on its way out! I didnt know which one was helping me to look like the batmobile when coming off boost, but at least i know now. So roll on TD04's................ WRD.... the pressure is on!

Nick Mann
31-05-2007, 01:56 PM
The only reason I can think of to remove the rocker covers is a top end re-build or a lash adjuster change.

Just as well you found it!

Kieran
31-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Less than finger tight is normal. The torque specification on the rocker cover bolts is absurdly low - about 1.5/2 nm if that - It's so low, not even my 3/8 Torque wrench (that measures in lbs/in) covers it.

Gowf
31-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Less than finger tight is normal. The torque specification on the rocker cover bolts is absurdly low - about 1.5/2 nm if that - It's so low, not even my 3/8 Torque wrench (that measures in lbs/in) covers it.

I knew that if anyone would know the torque specs it would be you kieran!

That is incredibly low... needless to say, mine are somewhat tighter than that now!

Cheers Kieran.

Kieran
31-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I don't understand why it's so low either, it's just asking for oil to creep past the rubber gasket!

The reason why the plug holes are full of oil is because of those little spark plug hole gaskets (A snip at £15 EACH!!), they go hard with age and constant heat and oil exposure (especially on the rear bank). Though if you've clamped down the covers a bit tighter now, they'll probably seal again.:scholar:

Gowf
31-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Thats what i was hoping for! Well time will tell. It has been using oil recently... so we'l see if this and the new sump plug sort it out. Although the smokey turbo wont be helping matters.
Are there any other things that are a stupidly low torue setting?