PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Problem

JMO
01-06-2007, 05:55 AM
I am hoping some of you guys can help me sort out a problem that all us aussie's are going to have.

When my Legnum got complied in australia they had to deactivate the auto up and down on the power windows

Does anyone know of the most straight forward way that they would have done to get just the auto function to stop working?

Any help would be grat, i have pulled out the control in the door and everything seams good there? so next step for me is to go to the auto elecs

GroundControl
01-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Sorry, no idea on how to fix that, but why on earth is that required to get compliance? /pan

bradc
01-06-2007, 07:03 AM
wtf, why do they need to disable that? what fools!

Wouldn't you be able to take it to an auto electrician and get that sorted out?

JMO
01-06-2007, 07:22 AM
An auto elec's seam to be my best option at the moment, I don't have a clue why they deactivated, it is pure ****

bradc
01-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Come to think of it, the Monaro doesn't have that feature, neither did our Calais. I still don't understand why they would want to disable it, especially because in a Legnum if you do stick something in the window (arm, head, or in your case kangeroo) the window will stop going up anyway.

KHK
01-06-2007, 09:06 AM
first time to hear such a requirement from a developed country Australia
it is a "joke"
auto up or down is already a world wide standard!
it has safety feature
if the auto up clamp something such as your hand, it'd stop automatically

JMO
01-06-2007, 10:35 AM
There must be one element about it that our crap govenment doesn't like, wouldn't have a clue what it is though

TAR
01-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure if this will work but.....

On some cars you can set the auto up and down by holding the window switch in the close position and then switching on the ignition.

Try it and see.

JMO
01-06-2007, 11:40 PM
I will try that, thanks for the help

Nick Mann
02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Starting with the basics - sorry!

Only the drivers switches have the auto up/down facility. Passengers have to keep their finger on the button. The drivers side work with a two stage movement from the rest position, with the first position being movement until the switch is released, the second position being movement until the window reaches its stop position or something else overrides it.

There aren't enough wires leaving the switch for each position to be wired seperately.

So the window must work from a microchip control and signals from the switches.

How its been disabled I couldn't say. The options appear to be to disable the switch or stop the pulses to the microchip. The only other thing I can think of is if there is a relay to lock the power movement to each window. Either way around, my first port of call would be to remove the drivers door card and have a good look at the switches, plus check for relays by the motor.

Let us know what you find!

JMO
03-06-2007, 04:39 AM
I have done those two things, the fuse box in the engine bay seams fine, i am leaning towards thinking that the switch box for the windows have been altered, i pulled it out and it looks to have been opened before, i had a look in and found a circiet board and then i got scared

Si have to get an immobiliser fitted at some stage so i will get the auto elec to check it out then

MarkSanne
04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I have recently 'operated' the power windows control circuit board (I thought the LED light that is on these was broken, and learned you can add a second LED to the circuit board (only you'll need a second button with the same 'light-vent' to actually see the 2nd button light up, just as the driver-button does.

Back on topic: is you can post good quality pictures of both sides of the circuitboard, maybe I can compare it with mine and see what they've done (the higher resolution the better) because I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in there.

MarkSanne
04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
doublepost, sorry

Gly
04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
I have recently 'operated' the power windows control circuit board (I thought the LED light that is on these was broken, and learned you can add a second LED to the circuit board (only you'll need a second button with the same 'light-vent' to actually see the 2nd button light up, just as the driver-button does.

been there, done that...
its coz they use the same board for either left or right hand drives,
just solder the led in different sides to suit.

MarkSanne
04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
been there, done that...
its coz they use the same board for either left or right hand drives,
just solder the led in different sides to suit.

Aha! it's interesting to learn that this 'second' LED option is actually meant to be used when the console is mounted 'at the other side'!

FYI: my current LED works alright, I was just wondering what was happening exactly in there, as I thought the LED was broken (not correct, the button was just very dirty so the light didn't come through). And then I saw the second LED option on the board. But to use that (too!) I'd need a second 'driver-side' button (with the 'light-vent' otherwise I'd just be illuminating the circuit board itself). If I should even find an extra button like that I'll add the extra LED and do this micro-pimpin' :scholar: