PDA

View Full Version : Some pics of my Cusco Twin Plate clutch :)

Kenneth
02-06-2007, 02:01 AM
you will have to excuse the lines in the picture, the camera is a but buggered... but it does the job... sorta :)

Got the plates the other day, after waiting for ages the cusco agent in NZ rung them up and had whinge. Cusco were VERY apologetic and as a result air freighted them overnight!

Time to put the gearbox back in now :)

bradc
02-06-2007, 03:16 AM
I saw the first pic and thought cool, but what is all that crap behind the clutch, then I saw the next few pics and realised it was already on the engine :)

Kenneth
02-06-2007, 04:46 AM
might be able to get the gearbox in this weekend too :)

Started raining just as i got the gearbox under the car :(

still, its getting there :)

Kenneth
02-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Oh yeah... and I found that damn lost flywheel bolt too! I swear I looked there.

Damn bolt fairy must have got scared after what I said last time and put it back :p

Subaru ETA
02-06-2007, 08:33 AM
haha everyone i know who has taken there gear box out has somehow lost a flywheel bolt!

taylor
24-05-2011, 02:33 PM
oh its a pull type. Interesting

Oblivion
26-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Nice! Is it a model for an evo?

Gly
26-05-2011, 09:46 AM
indeed it is. ken had a spacer made up for it

Kenneth
27-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Yeah, then didn't use it! In the end I needed the spigot machined out and I made a spacer for the starter motor so that it doesn't interfere with the ring gear when not in use.

Discs are sprung also.

Now I am used to the clutch, it is brilliant. Last I looked it had bugger all wear too, so will hopefully last a while.

zentac
27-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Why do you need a twin plate, you dont have enough power to warrent one, stick with a 6 paddle single plate. Thats all I ran up to 650bhp, Ive only just gone twin plate with almost 1000bhp.

taylor
27-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Driveability

zentac
27-05-2011, 11:02 PM
a 6 paddle is more drivable than a twin plate.

taylor
27-05-2011, 11:27 PM
I disagree. I get far more driveability put of my old os giken twinplate then any paddle clutch ive ever driven

Kenneth
28-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Why do you need more than 280hp in your car?

No offence, but that was a totally stupid question and an ever more stupid statement, especially as clutches have very little do do with power and everything to do with torque.

I have chosen to pursue drivetrain durability BEFORE I pursue "power". Since my personal aim is for lots of torque, this means that a decent clutch is very much necessary.
Yes, I could have done it with a paddle clutch, but why ruin the engagement with a heavy pressure plate and discs that grab to get the same holding as a twin plate where I resume almost standard pressure and get nice progressive engagement.

My goals are different to yours and as such the ingredients required to make it work are also going to be different.

Why do you need a twin plate, you dont have enough power to warrent one, stick with a 6 paddle single plate. Thats all I ran up to 650bhp, Ive only just gone twin plate with almost 1000bhp.

ersanalamin
31-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Interested indeed. So Ken, is it cusco twin plate for evo 8? No need for evo plate adapter made by Nicks Mann? I might after exedy twin plate then, BTW what is your MT gearbox code?

Gly
01-08-2012, 01:17 AM
yes you do need a spacer, ken used a 3mm spacer, machined the inside of the flywheel and 3mm spacer on the starter motor, (i beleive Kenneth)

same effect is given by nicks 6mm spacer, except you dont need to machine the flywheel or space out the starter

Longbow77
01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
All TVRs from the Cerbera onward have twin plate AP Racing clutches and they are perfectly drivable, if a wee bit stiffer than most OE stuff. Never driven a car with a puc clutch, though most say they are really 'grabby' which would quickly become tiresome.....

Kenneth
06-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Yes, that is correct. I did it that way because I didn't have the longer bolts to use a spacer. I do actually have one though.
The spacer is a better idea.

yes you do need a spacer, ken used a 3mm spacer, machined the inside of the flywheel and 3mm spacer on the starter motor, (i beleive Kenneth)

same effect is given by nicks 6mm spacer, except you dont need to machine the flywheel or space out the starter